PDA

View Full Version : New Jet air cleaner...any suggestions?

Chris Oakley
02-13-2004, 9:45 PM
I just got my new Jet AFS1000B air cleaner today. Any suggestions on where to put it or any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Bourbois
02-13-2004, 10:11 PM
I just got my new Jet AFS1000B air cleaner today. Any suggestions on where to put it or any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

I believe "conventional wisdom" (if there is such a thing on this issue) is that it should go along the long wall of a rectangular shop, one-third away from the short wall, and blowing toward the 2/3 end. This is supposed to create a circular flow of air around the shop. It should be about 8 feet off the floor.

Of course, that assumes a rectangular shop, and a lot of other assumptions too. I personally have mine over my SCMS blowing into the large part of the garage, er, shop. It really can be trial and error to find effective placement.

Greg Heppeard
02-13-2004, 10:15 PM
I got mine yesterday and plan on putting it in my shop

Seriously, I'm going to try to find the place in my shop that produces the most dust that is not taken care of by the dust collector, probably close to where I do the most sanding. I will hang it high enough so that I don't bang my head on it and high enough so that it won't interfer with larger projects, but low enough to make it the most efficient. Make sure that the intake and exhaust isn't obstructed by anything within about 5 or 6 ft. Another thing I found useful is hanging some ribbon on the exhaust side. Make the stands about 3 ft long at first, then turn the unit on and start to cut them shorter. Stop cutting when the ribbon blows straight out from the machine. Then when the ribbon starts to sag, it's a visual indication that the filter needs attention.

Boyd Gathwright
02-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi Joe,

You presented the installation and function very well; I don’t think I could have done it any better than you did. Back in October of 2003, I installed Three JDS 750 Airtech practical filters, approximately eight to ten feet apart in a straight line; in just the manner you described and they have worked out well. Before installation, I had talked, at length, with JDS’s management about placement and function and the end results were just as you stated in your comments to Chris Oakley. I couldn’t agree with you more, you are my kind of guy; apparently you do your homework.

Keep up the good work and glad to know you.

Boyd :)

I believe "conventional wisdom" (if there is such a thing on this issue) is that it should go along the long wall of a rectangular shop, one-third away from the short wall, and blowing toward the 2/3 end. This is supposed to create a circular flow of air around the shop. It should be about 8 feet off the floor.

Of course, that assumes a rectangular shop, and a lot of other assumptions too. I personally have mine over my SCMS blowing into the large part of the garage, er, shop. It really can be trial and error to find effective placement.

Boyd Gathwright
02-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Hello Greg,

That is an excellent idea-having the ribbon on the exhaust side of the overhead filter units. For all of the conversations, study and talking I have had with those in the know, no one ever mentioned using THE RIBBON, in the manner you suggested to indicate when the filter needs to be changed. I personally have seen ribbons used in this manner and never gave it a thought but before this day is out I will make plans to implement ribbons on my units. Just goes to show you can never do too much research.

Thanks for the suggestion and I’ll try to return the favor.

Boyd :)

I got mine yesterday and plan on putting it in my shop

Seriously, I'm going to try to find the place in my shop that produces the most dust that is not taken care of by the dust collector, probably close to where I do the most sanding. I will hang it high enough so that I don't bang my head on it and high enough so that it won't interfer with larger projects, but low enough to make it the most efficient. Make sure that the intake and exhaust isn't obstructed by anything within about 5 or 6 ft. Another thing I found useful is hanging some ribbon on the exhaust side. Make the stands about 3 ft long at first, then turn the unit on and start to cut them shorter. Stop cutting when the ribbon blows straight out from the machine. Then when the ribbon starts to sag, it's a visual indication that the filter needs attention.

Greg Heppeard
02-14-2004, 1:15 PM
The ribbons make you feel cooler in the summer time too....hehe

Fred Voorhees
02-14-2004, 6:49 PM
Chris I have a question for you about your new air cleaner. I am just about to order the same unit to compliment the Oneida cyclone system that I am in the process of installing.

Back in issue 139 of Wood magazine, they did a comparison test of a number of air cleaners and the Jet got high marks. One of the only things they found faulty with it was the fact that it didn't have a foam seal/gasket between the bag filter and the innards of the unit and this allowed an abnormal amount of "blow-by" of dust into the machine. Does your unit now have this gasket? The company stated that they were going to correct this problem and I was wondering if they in fact did. I still don't see much problem in this area if they have yet to correct it as it would be no problem to add a gasket material in this area to alleviate the problem. Just wanted to know though. I am planning on ordering it very shortly.

And hey, that idea with the ribbons is top notch! I will be incorporating that into my unit when I mount it. Just goes to show what little hints and tips you can pick up by haunting this site.

Fred

Greg Heppeard
02-14-2004, 7:13 PM
Fred,
All of the new units produced by Jet have the seal...they started putting them in about a month after the comparison came out. All it is is weather stripping around the inner filter. It helps some, but all air filtration systems have a little blow-by, at least all that I know about (Jet, Delta, Shop Fox, JDS, and Shop Vac) Out of those, I believe that Jet is probably the most efficient.

Fred Voorhees
02-14-2004, 8:02 PM
Thanks Greg, by the way, I am probably going to order the unit from Amazon.com. Is there a lengthy delay in shipping it - does anyone know about that? I heard that they are experiencing delays.

Greg Heppeard
02-14-2004, 8:07 PM
Jet has been a little slow due to a big change in the upper management...Don't know about Amazon

Robert Ducharme
02-14-2004, 8:30 PM
what color ribbon is the best?

Tyler Howell
02-14-2004, 8:33 PM
Gents
Real happy with my Jet 1500. I put the ribbons up but that was so I could see at a glance if it was running. We call them "tell tails" in sailing. A length of audio cassette tape works great. A lot of the MP3 generation don't even know what they are.

Amazon will ship if they have them in stock but often they are a middle man for most of the firms now days. The free super saver delivery is usually when they get a full load going your way.
Check to see if you are buying from Amazon or Tool Crib. Tool Crib has been lightening fast for me. Good Luck!

Howie French
02-14-2004, 9:04 PM
Thanks Greg, by the way, I am probably going to order the unit from Amazon.com. Is there a lengthy delay in shipping it - does anyone know about that? I heard that they are experiencing delays.

Fred, I ordered the Jet AFS1000B aprox 6 weeks ago from Amazon.
I received the unit within 2 weeks, just as they had estimated. It arrived in perfect condition and I have had no problems with the unit, it works great...

Good luck with your purchase !

Greg... thanks for the great idea of the ribbons, I will rigging some up shorthly.

Greg Heppeard
02-14-2004, 9:47 PM
Well, we have orange....looks good with the Jet white

Mike Evertsen
02-15-2004, 6:48 AM
last week I ordered a Dewalt planer and stand from amazon got it 5 days before the est delivery date,,,,,

Chris Oakley
02-15-2004, 8:33 PM

Fred:

I ordered mine Tuesday and got it Friday. Shipping was very very fast. In fact, it arrived before a dvd I ordered one week earlier from amazon.com. Plus, they currently have a coupon for $25 off, so I figured nows the time to buy.

Dave Sweeney
02-16-2004, 10:12 AM
If one didn't come with the unit, it didn't when I bought mine, invest in the electrostatic outer filter, PN 708708. This filter is washable and will save you a ton of money versus constantly replacing the throwaway filters.

Fred Voorhees
02-16-2004, 7:33 PM
Just a note, I ordered the Jet air cleaner today (Mon) and asked about the window of time to deliver and the person taking the order told me they had them in stock and it shouldn't take more than a week to get it. We shall see.

Fred