PDA

View Full Version : Some of my Rocking Chairs

Richard Dragin
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I have been posting on SMC for a bit now but havn't shown any of my work so here you are. I have been concentrating on rocking chairs lately and have built 5 to date. They are from Hal Taylor plans and these are walnut, curly maple and zebra.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/DraginRichard/Curly023.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/DraginRichard/web-maple-back.gif

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/DraginRichard/webzebra.gif

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/DraginRichard/web-zebra-seat.gif

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/DraginRichard/web-walnut-small.gif

frank shic
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
gorgeous work. what's the finish?

David Weaver
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Gorgeous chairs!

I like the finish work, and can tell that it looks better than the flash in the last picture is trying to let it look.

Great work. And to top it off, they look very comfortable.

Who is Hal Taylor? He can't be Sam Maloof's favorite person if he's putting out those plans.

Tom Maple
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Beautiful! Such nice flowing lines.

Gary Keedwell
11-19-2007, 1:01 PM
They are absolutely magnificent, Building a rocking chair is on my to-do list.

Gary

Don C Peterson
11-19-2007, 1:03 PM
All I can say is... WOW!

Dirk Lewis
11-19-2007, 1:05 PM
All I can say is... WOW!

I'm with you Don, just looking at those rockers and all I could think was "wow"

T

Glenn Pearston
11-19-2007, 1:17 PM
Very impressive - please share some details I would love to learn more. Those are beautiful pieces of wood and the craftsmanship is impressive.

Glenn

Don Pierson
11-19-2007, 1:50 PM
Wow Wow Wow

Todd Jensen
11-19-2007, 1:59 PM
And another.:) Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.

Bill Wyko
11-19-2007, 2:18 PM
Those are absolutly stunning. Do you offer classes? How did you do the joinery from the armrest to the seat? Flawless "A+++++"

gary Zimmel
11-19-2007, 2:54 PM
And another WOW from me....

Great work! Did I say wow....

Kyle Stiefel
11-19-2007, 6:25 PM
Richard,

You did some exquisite work there, Hal has put together a resource that is second to none. I can't say that after all my trips to the big hardwood suppliers in Seattle that I have ever even seen 8/4 zebrawood. I think I would be scared at the price and it would make my head spin. Just out of curiousity what were the woods used on your other 2 chairs? I bet you are glad to give your poor fingers a rest after all that work.

Rich Torino
11-19-2007, 6:50 PM
Absolutely amazing pieces of work.... I built a set of dinning room chairs once and swore I would never do it again and they were notning compared to your rocking chairs...

Richard Dragin
11-19-2007, 7:40 PM
Thanks for all the kind words about the chairs. I was inspired by Sam Maloof's work of course, but the chairs are designed by Hal Taylor and there are several differances between them and Sam's chairs. Everyone who has sat in one always says that it is the most comfortable chair they have ever experianced. The back is flexible and has a curve that fits your lower back. There are Ash laminations in the back slats and, the slats are in elongated holes with no glue so they can flex.

Frank,
The finish is Deft Danish Oil, 2 coats with a paper towel a week apart. Wipe it on wait 30 minutes wipe it off. The key is prepping with a series of paper and then a 500 grit Abralon pad which seems to burnish the wood. Still takes the oil great and is very durable.

David,
You are right, I don't think the pictures do them justice. Check Hal's website for more info about him and the chairs.

Bill,
You come on out here and we'll do a class!

Kyle,
I am fortunate to have several good suppliers here in L.A. so the Zebra wasn't to hard to find. The other two are Cyurly Maple and Walnut.

Everyone,
Thanks again for the compliments. If you or someone you know is interested, PM me for pricing.

John Shuk
11-19-2007, 8:00 PM
The rockers are fabulous. Thanks for sharing them.

George Morris
11-19-2007, 8:08 PM
Only two words WOW,WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Scot Ferraro
11-19-2007, 8:34 PM
These are amazing....thanks so much for sharing and for the inspiration. Building a rocker is on my list of projects...these look amazing!!!

Thanks for sharing and congrats on a job well done!

Scot

Brad Hammond
11-19-2007, 8:42 PM
i'd like to add the 10th and 11th wow!!!!!!!

the joinery is seamless! a true craftsman!

Dixon Peer
11-19-2007, 8:57 PM
Very nice work. My only question is why do the back splat lines not follow the line of the upper curved rail of the back? I know it's just a design consideration, and everyone's design "eye" is perhaps different, but it's the only thing about the rockers that bothers my eye.

Certainly nice work you've done, though.

Bill Huber
11-19-2007, 9:53 PM
I really don't know what to say, they are just beautiful. They should be in and art gallery someplace for people to look at and not set in.

Just AWESOME!!

Cary Swoveland
11-20-2007, 1:07 AM
What a stunning set of chairs! I'm just amazed at the craftsmanship and elegance.

Cary

Floyd Cox
11-20-2007, 4:37 AM
These need to be in an art gallery.

sascha gast
11-20-2007, 4:42 AM
where have I seen these chairs before, hahaha, hey man, sorry I couldn't make it to your show, I got too caught up in my hairshow duties.
I didn't even make it to the wood show.
you did good processing the pics, very good, maybe some more cloning on the floor, but they look good.
was really great having you over, I enjoyed seeing them close up and it really makes me happy to see you even using them.

take care and talk to you soon, ready for more pics when you are

Tyler Howell
11-20-2007, 8:16 AM
Bravo Bravo!

John Thompson
11-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Outstanding with a capital "O"! I have seen Maloof's work on many occasions and have been in his seminars twice. This is up there with what I have seen from the "old man" who I have utmost respect for as both a chair-maker and human being!

Regards...

Sarge.. john thompson

Richard Dragin
11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey Sascha! You have to see the printed version of my handout, of course you are credited for the photos. The show went well and I plan on doing several more. I am working on some new stuff of my own design for the next one so we'll have more pictures to do.

Mark Singer
11-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Beautiful work! That zebra one is terrific!

Rick Levine
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I think I'll stick to photography for my artistic endeavors. My woodworking skills, I'm afraid, will never be able to match the quality of your work.

Mike Cutler
11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Richard

Very nice. "Wow" is certainley a justifiable first impression. The Zebra is stunning.

Question on the plans.
Did you build exactly per the plans or did you deviate a little?
How was the quality of the plans and associated templates?

Once again. Very nice work!

Jim Becker
11-20-2007, 2:55 PM
Those are just lovely, Richard. Thank you for posting the pictures...wonderful!

"Jason Belous"
11-20-2007, 7:57 PM
nothing I would ever think to make but beautiful work. Your choice of woods is great, and your natural flow is outstanding. "respect".

Gary Herrmann
11-20-2007, 9:49 PM
Beautiful work, Richard. I've seen Hal's site. When I get ready to build a rocker, I will give his plans some serious consideration.

Bob Hallowell
11-20-2007, 11:26 PM
I have to be like everyone else and say WOW! I showed these to the loml and she said book mark Hal's web page as I will be biulding one in the future WOW had to say it again!

Bob

Don Bullock
11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Wow! seems to the the consensus here, so I'll add another WOW!!

Those rockers are superb and the craftsmanship is exquisite. The choice of wood, design and execution are all first class. Thank you for sharing your work.