PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Jointer Users

Brad Shipton
11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Is it just me or does it seem the Hammer 12" Jointer blades do not hold a sharp edge as long as the heavier style? I bought the best ones they have and I noticed on the weekend that it didnt seem that long until I was getting more tearout than I like. Could have been the material, but I thought I would ask others views. Anyone had the used ones sharpened?

Thanks

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-19-2007, 3:38 PM
You need to make sure that your blades are High Speed Steel when you buy them.

Different woods (even of the same species) will have more or less silica in them. If you have a particularly silica rich lumber it'll play havoc with all your tools.

I have taken to using a diamond stone on my JP blades.
I made a rig to hold 'em and I'll drag the diamond stone across the grind a few times and pop 'em back in.
Last time I stoned 'em I didn't take 'em out I just did it in situ and it worked rather well.

Jamie Buxton
11-19-2007, 9:22 PM
On the very rough average, I'd say I get two pieces of hardwood furniture from one set of Hammer knives. Of course, it does depend on how big the pieces are, and whether that species of wood is kind to to knives or not.

Hammer sells two versions of their knives. As I understand it, they're different grades of High Speed Steel. The harder of the two is called Cobalt, and that's the one I've been buying.