PDA

View Full Version : Oneida Visit - Pics

Jim Becker
02-13-2004, 8:52 PM
When Fred and I journeyed (read: ROAD TRIP!) to Syracuse NY last Friday to pick up my new cyclone, we were treated to a great tour of their facilities. Needless to say, the place was "hopping" due to brisk business after a very favorable review in the December 2003 issue of WOOD Magazine.

The Oneida facility is in a building once used by Rockwell and later, Porter Cable to make machinery. That alone gives the place some interesting character as only "vintage" industrial buildings can. The offices and main manufacturing operations as well as their test/development lab and photo studio are located on the second floor with final assembly and shipping on the first. Everyone we saw was very, very busy for the whole time of our visit.

Rich Benedetto and Steve Menke went above and beyond to show us around, talk about how things are made and generally show us a great time. And since it was Friday...there was Pizza. Lot's of Pizza. Mucho Pizza. Which was quite welcome after a 5 hour drive in freezing rain!

The photos below will give you a little idea about our tour...here are descriptions of each shot:

1) The testing and development lab was great...and it had quite a few tools that could actually be used to make sawdust. They also use part of this space for photo work and to study competitor's products. We saw a number of interesting ideas in this room, including a small "floor sweep" used on a benchtop (right side of pic) for easy cleanup and some nice quick-disconnect ideas...which I'll put in a separate post below.

2) The manufacturing floor is big. Really big. Plasma cutters are used to cut the parts out of sheet steel and then a number of folks take care of the welding...additional facilities for both functions are about to be brought on line to keep up with the load, too. All of the work is done in house with the exception of the powder coating.

3) This fellow is welding the collar of a blower housing. He moved through a number of units as we stood nearby chatting for only a few minutes.

4) The assembly and shipping department on the first floor was recently expanded and was also a very busy place. To support duct work orders quickly, they had a great stock of various custom components on hand as you can see in the picture. Rich Benedetto is crimping the end of a 6" to 5" reducer as Fred looks on.

5) Custom duct designs are done using a CAD product which also builds a bill of materials automatically. Here, Rich is showing the design for Fred's shop to us prior to our tour. The software was fast, easy to use and efficient as it automatically transfers the BOM information to a spreadsheet application for quoting and billing.

Jim Becker
02-13-2004, 8:53 PM
Here Steve Menke shows how the Norfab coupling can be used to easily and quickly connect and disconnect duct and/or hose. They use the same method on the nice Mini Max CU300 combo machine to shift the collection hose as the machine is reconfigured for each station. The Norfab connection is also ideal for overhead connection, such as those for drum sanders, planers, etc.

I'm seriously thinking about trying this out for my overhead connections in the shop!

Bob Marino
02-13-2004, 9:08 PM
Here Steve Menke shows how the Norfab coupling can be used to easily and quickly connect and disconnect duct and/or hose. They use the same method on the nice Mini Max CU300 combo machine to shift the collection hose as the machine is reconfigured for each station. The Norfab connection is also ideal for overhead connection, such as those for drum sanders, planers, etc.

I'm seriously thinking about trying this out for my overhead connections in the shop!
Hey Jim,

Thanks for giving us a peek into the place. I like those Norfab couplings. Are they available now? Price?

Bob

Robert Ducharme
02-13-2004, 9:14 PM
Thanks for the pictures. At least I know who I am talking to now.

Jim Becker
02-13-2004, 11:12 PM
I like those Norfab couplings. Are they available now? Price?

Norfab has been around for awhile. I doubt they are inexpensive...hence, I'd only use them for special cases. Steve can tell you how much you'll need to raise the mortage to aquire some... :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-13-2004, 11:13 PM
At least I know who I am talking to now.

Rich was cringing when I told him I was going to post his picture...that one, in particular...hee hee In fairness, it was a Friday and after pizza.

John Weber
02-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Jim,

Very cool post, takes me back to my manufacturing days - although we were making TV's, but making stuff is making stuff. I was in plant engineering anyway so it didn't really matter, just keep the lines running so production blames materials and not plant engineering:-). Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a cyclone, and Onedia will be at the top of my list.

John

Adan Madrid
02-14-2004, 2:04 AM
Yo Jim,

Thanks for sharing :cool: Sounds like you had a great experience at Onieda-Air. Them being busy probably explains why my order of wye brances and miscellaneous ducting is taking so long.

I purchased a 2hp cyclone about a month ago after seing Mark Singer's Cyclone in action. It sucks!

Boyd Gathwright
02-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking the pictures; it helps to give us some insight and appreciation of what goes into Oneida’s manufacturing of their Dust collection and component systems, as well as, what they might have on hand when you may need a component or two. I see in pic#1 they even use a good combo machine to create lots of dust for their evaluations.

Thanks again for sharing the pics.

Boyd :)

When Fred and I journeyed (read: ROAD TRIP!) to Syracuse NY last Friday to pick up my new cyclone, we were treated to a great tour of their facilities. Needless to say, the place was "hopping" due to brisk business after a very favorable review in the December 2003 issue of WOOD Magazine.

The Oneida facility is in a building once used by Rockwell and later, Porter Cable to make machinery. That alone gives the place some interesting character as only "vintage" industrial buildings can. The offices and main manufacturing operations as well as their test/development lab and photo studio are located on the second floor with final assembly and shipping on the first. Everyone we saw was very, very busy for the whole time of our visit.

Rich Benedetto and Steve Menke went above and beyond to show us around, talk about how things are made and generally show us a great time. And since it was Friday...there was Pizza. Lot's of Pizza. Mucho Pizza. Which was quite welcome after a 5 hour drive in freezing rain!

The photos below will give you a little idea about our tour...here are descriptions of each shot:

1) The testing and development lab was great...and it had quite a few tools that could actually be used to make sawdust. They also use part of this space for photo work and to study competitor's products. We saw a number of interesting ideas in this room, including a small "floor sweep" used on a benchtop (right side of pic) for easy cleanup and some nice quick-disconnect ideas...which I'll put in a separate post below.

2) The manufacturing floor is big. Really big. Plasma cutters are used to cut the parts out of sheet steel and then a number of folks take care of the welding...additional facilities for both functions are about to be brought on line to keep up with the load, too. All of the work is done in house with the exception of the powder coating.

3) This fellow is welding the collar of a blower housing. He moved through a number of units as we stood nearby chatting for only a few minutes.

4) The assembly and shipping department on the first floor was recently expanded and was also a very busy place. To support duct work orders quickly, they had a great stock of various custom components on hand as you can see in the picture. Rich Benedetto is crimping the end of a 6" to 5" reducer as Fred looks on.

5) Custom duct designs are done using a CAD product which also builds a bill of materials automatically. Here, Rich is showing the design for Fred's shop to us prior to our tour. The software was fast, easy to use and efficient as it automatically transfers the BOM information to a spreadsheet application for quoting and billing.

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Jim
Thanks for posting the nice photos.
As a sidelight, the old Rockwell building or buildings in the Point Breeze section of Pittsburgh are now used by "Construction Junction". They are a construction salvage company, and yes! "the boss" and I have purchased "stuff" there.
Daniel :D

Steven Wilson
03-24-2004, 7:06 PM
Jim,

It's NORDFAB and not Norfab. And yes it's a bit pricey. For example 5" blast gate $27, 7"x5"x5" pants wye $85, etc. About $350 per machine hookup compared to $250 per machine for their normal product.