PDA

View Full Version : Laptop wireless question.

Thomas Williams
11-19-2007, 8:49 AM
I need to add a wireless card to my laptop. I am looking for the wi-fi type connection. What type or wireless card do I need to add?
I went to the local Microcenter and when asked for help I was sent to another counter, who sent me to another counter and when a manager type was asked, I was told they were busy. (Borg customer service comes in other colors besides orange and blue) Anyway I would appreciate any input.

Jim Becker
11-19-2007, 9:57 AM
If you are not going to be in any corporate environments, an 802.11g card is all you need...and it will work with both the older and slower 802.11b as well as the faster 802.11g access points. Do be sure that the card you select supports the latest security standards/methods including WPA-2. With this kind of card, you're good to go at any public hotspot or at home. (You really want your computer to be running either Windows XP or Vista for maximum security and hardware driver availability)

If you do need to work in corporate environments, I recommend an a/b/g card so that you also have access to 802.11a which runs on a different frequency than b/g networks.

Karlan Talkington
11-19-2007, 9:58 AM
Obvious stupid question aside: Do you have a wireless router/switch?

If so, all you need is a wifi cardbus or even a usb wifi adaptor.

Its typically better to get the same brand as your router, or so I've been told, but have never had any problems cross-branding wireless equipment.

Also you'll want to pay attention to which 108.11 band is being used on your router.

You can usually go down but not up in bands. This means that if your router is 108.11b you are going to be stuck at 11Mbps and will need a 108.11b network device. If the router is 108.11g, you can get up to 54Mbps with a 108.11g device or go down to 108.11b

Some routers and same brand network devices will have a special protocol that allows them to "burst" the speed. 54Mbps becomes 108Mbps. This is the one benefit for keeping branding the same but ONLY if the router/network device supports it.

Hope this helps

Randal Stevenson
11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I recently had somebody ask me this, only they didn't exactly mean it. How old is your computer? It doesn't have wireless built in? If not, your looking for a pcmcia card (I believe they now just call them a pc card). Then you have to find a hotspot (free or paid wireless internet access)
However, if your looking for the wireless anywhere/anytime card, that is a different animal. It requires a more expensive service like Sprint (local one seen mostly on salesmans pc's), or others as I believe it is a sideband to the wireless phones (and is more expensive). These are also a pcmcia (pc card).

Thomas Williams
11-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I need this for a 4 or 5 year old lap top that runs XP and I use to check personal email and the web. I do not have a wireless router at home so I am looking to use this for the hot spot type of access at motels and coffee shops. Is there one brand better than another?

Neal McCormick
11-19-2007, 5:01 PM
You can get a wireless card for very cheap. Microcenter often has them. Don't be penny wise - I have one in a box - used 4 days before it simply refused to connect any longer. Not worth the cost of postage to return it. Bought a new Netgear card (we have a Netgear home network) and have never had a problem since.

Mike Henderson
11-19-2007, 5:21 PM
While an 802.11b/g card will work for you, I'd buy an 802.11 b/g/n card. The "N" version (actually "pre-N" but I won't go into that) will give you higher speed and longer range when it connects to a "N" base station. If the base station does not support "N", it will connect as a "b" or "g" version (lower speed, shorter range).

Mike

Jim Becker
11-19-2007, 8:36 PM
Mike, I doubt he's going to find a "pre-N" situation in the hotspots, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost for that option. And between different manufacturers, there are compatibility quirks with the pre-N stuff. They are good, but best when paired with the same brand access point which is easy to do at home, but not on the road.

Mike Henderson
11-19-2007, 9:31 PM
Mike, I doubt he's going to find a "pre-N" situation in the hotspots, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost for that option. And between different manufacturers, there are compatibility quirks with the pre-N stuff. They are good, but best when paired with the same brand access point which is easy to do at home, but not on the road.
You're right. I'd go for the N version for home use to get higher speed and greater range around the house. For travel - at hotspots - the N card will connect at b or g speeds. It the OP is not going to use wifi at home, I'd also recommend the b/g version because they're less expensive than the N versions

My recommendation was for home use.

Mike

Clint Jones
11-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I would reccommend a Belkin Pre-N wireless card. I bought mine off of ebay for $35. If you get a cheapy (those $15 on ebay) one you will be disspointed, dropped connection, low range. I have one installed on a desktop and the card can just pop out and slip right into your laptop from desktop. Its worth the extra $$$

Frank Hagan
11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
For connecting to hotspots, I've used Belkin, Netgear and Linksys PC cards and the USB wireless modems. b/g works most everywhere. When you are traveling, look for independent gourmet coffee houses that offer free wireless if you buy a cup of coffee. They usually have the wireless router right there in the little shop, so you get good reception. Places like Starbucks are in with a hot spot provider, so you pay either a monthly fee or have to pay $9 a day for access.

I get horrible reception in hotels with whatever I've used, with few exceptions. The "free internet" service is so bad in most hotels that I no longer use that as a deal breaker when looking for price. If they have wired ethernet, fine, but wireless networks are often not even IN the hotel (and in Lake Tahoe recently, I figured out the wireless was being shared by about a dozen little motels).