PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Remote Activation

Bob Genovesi
11-19-2007, 8:10 AM
I wanted to add this feature to my Delta dust collector and was wondering if anyone had purchased this. I found it at WoodCraft woodworking supply.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/DustRemote.jpg

It's on sale for $49.00..

Bob Aquino
11-19-2007, 8:36 AM
Not sure about what is at woodcraft, but I installed the 220v version from Penn State about a month ago. It is the one that uses switches on the blast gates to remotely turn it on and off. I went with this type vs. the remote rf control since I am notorious about loosing stuff like that. I bought some microswitches from McMaster Carr for about 3 bucks each since I didnt want to try and replace my existing gates and the unit came with enough wire to do the whole job. You can also buy the switches at radio shack for about a buck more each. I initially tried using some epoxy and trashed two switches till I got the bright idea to use hot melt glue which works fine. I like the convenience of turning the system on and off while I am at the machine and I find I tend to use it much more.

Jeff Fondaw
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Bob - I had this same remote for my Delta 50-850 Dust Collector. It worked great. Sold both when I bought an Oneida Cyclone off Craig's List - the remote (which was rated for 110) didn't seem to work with the Leeson 1.5 HP motor on the Oneida. I have since bought the 220 version of this same remote, rewired the Oneida for 220, and again have a functioning remote. Hope this helps.

harry strasil
11-19-2007, 11:41 AM
got mine a short time ago, works wonderful, saved a lot of hard wiring of 4 way switches . a real step and time saver. I am using it with a shop vac and shopmade precleaner. I am a neander so don't create a lot of sawdust, but do have an outlet at the bandsaw, drill, shopmade disc sander and the antique (pre - columbus) Radial arm saw.

Jason Hanna
11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I have the same one. Works great. Even works through some walls. Sometimes if I get a lot of airborne dust, I'll open all of the gates and let it run while I go inside. If I get distracted for too long, punch the button and it turns off.

My ONLY complaint is that the button on the remote sticks out a little and when I keep it in my shop apron, occasionally I'll lean against something just so and it'll turn on/off. Not a big deal, just wish it recessed slightly so it wouldn't do that.

Stan Smith
11-19-2007, 3:38 PM
I have one that I like, also. I used to have an X10 setup and it didn't work nearly as well. Worth every penny IMHO

Jim Kountz
11-19-2007, 7:13 PM
Not sure about what is at woodcraft, but I installed the 220v version from Penn State about a month ago. It is the one that uses switches on the blast gates to remotely turn it on and off. I went with this type vs. the remote rf control since I am notorious about loosing stuff like that. I bought some microswitches from McMaster Carr for about 3 bucks each since I didnt want to try and replace my existing gates and the unit came with enough wire to do the whole job. You can also buy the switches at radio shack for about a buck more each. I initially tried using some epoxy and trashed two switches till I got the bright idea to use hot melt glue which works fine. I like the convenience of turning the system on and off while I am at the machine and I find I tend to use it much more.

That thing is great isnt it? Cant seem to convince many others of it, seems alot of folks still like the remote version but I like yourself lose things and besides that, its just way cool opening a blast gate and having your DC come on! I like the idea of hot melt glue, I did have some troubles with super glue myself. Heres something to keep in mind for the future though. There is a guy on Ebay that sells 10 of these micro switches for like 12 bucks! They are fine in quality and work great. If you're interested I can look it up for you and let you know when I got mine.

Jim

Larry Conely
11-19-2007, 7:28 PM
I use that unit. I got some extra remotes and velcroed them next to the on/off switches of my machines. Works great.

In my last shop, I had a unit that sensed current in the circuits of my stationary equipment. That was a no-brainer, but I like this set up also.

Larry

Mike Pierson
11-19-2007, 7:56 PM
I have/had the same unit on my Delta 50-850 (110) worked like a champ just fine. I am in the process of selling my Delta (upgraded to oneida) and am planning to keep the remote unit for "around the shop"

think mine was from rockler - but exact same - just different sticker on the front.

Benjimin Young
11-20-2007, 2:31 PM
I have this unit and I love it!!
Actually, I have two, one 110volt (my old shop vac) and a 220v for my DC.

I wanted to add this feature to my Delta dust collector and was wondering if anyone had purchased this. I found it at WoodCraft woodworking supply.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/DustRemote.jpg

It's on sale for $49.00..

Jim Kilburg
11-20-2007, 2:44 PM
I have had that same remote from Woodcraft for about 6 months now, and it works great. I use it on a Jet CK1200 wired for 220 and would be lost without it.:)

Denny Rice
11-20-2007, 5:50 PM
Was going to purchase this unit until I was told it would not work through walls..My dust collector and cyclone are in another room, I had a X-10 system from radio shack and ended up hooking this up to the system. While I was at it I also purchased other 110v and 220v modules for the x-10 system. Now my entire shop is turned off with one button. You cannot turn it all "on" at once, but why would you want to. I like the safety feature of "powering down" the shop when little ones are around. Its been working fine for about 6 months now.