PDA

View Full Version : Best way to store large pieces of wood

Jay Jolliffe
11-19-2007, 6:26 AM
I'm picking up a piece of Japanese Cherry today. It's kiln dried measures 2' x10'x 7/8". I know the best way is flat with air circulating around it. Any suggestions on keeping the wood from bowing or curling up.

Michael McCoy
11-19-2007, 7:17 AM
I've just about given up on trying to keep perfectly shaped wood... perfect. :) I've done the sticker and weighted down thing and I've also stacked everything without stickers and had better luck. Now I just let the wood do whatever it's going to do and take a hand plane to get rid of the high spots before milling wood for a project.

Todd Burch
11-19-2007, 8:03 AM
Use it and store it as a piece of furniture or cabinetry! Much easier. Less clutter.

If you know what you are going to use it for, chalk it out on the board and cut it into bite-sized pieces that are much easier to store.

Todd

David Weaver
11-19-2007, 8:19 AM
If it's straight when you got it and you know the environment it came from, write down the temperature and humidity of where it came from. It's a poor man's trick, I guess, but you can try to replicate the original environment (put the board in the sun if it needs to be warmer, or put it somewhere cool if it was cooler originally) before you start cutting/ripping, flattening and regluing.