PDA

View Full Version : The Macy Photo?

Bill Fleming
11-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Hey folks - got lots of visits to my question of "how to make the Macy rim and foot but not a single suggestion or even a hit of where to look via an instructional video, etc......

Is my question too simple? No one really likes or does that look? or is it really hard?

Thx Bill

Alex Elias
11-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Can you put a link to the original question? I don't think I've seen it.

Bill Fleming
11-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Original question:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69375

Alex Elias
11-19-2007, 12:48 AM
I guess I have to go dig out the magazine from whatever it is and look at it. Chances are I might not have an answer since I'm far from experienced, but hi'll look into it.
Good luck
Alex

Bill Fleming
11-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Macy Cover attached as pdf

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2007, 1:30 AM
Bill.........I don't think that requires a special tool though you could use a beading tool to do it. I'd do it with a skew or a gouge. It's a learned skill I"m sure.

Turn square cornered rings and then round the corners over. Fine tune them with 80 grit etc.

John Hart
11-19-2007, 6:08 AM
I didn't see your earlier question....or the magazine....and I don't know who Macy is.:o

Nope...not hard at all Bill. I like doing a rolled rim, both, because I think it looks nice, and it gives me a chance to dance with my lathe.;)

I'll do a profile of a regular bowl, getting my overall form to have a nice curve...leaving plenty of stock to take the whole outer profile down about a 1/4". Then, using a small gouge or a 1/4" rounded scraper, I'll put the undercut in place. Using the skew, I roll the skew around, starting at the bottom of the rim and come around to the inside...all in one sweeping motion...moving my body all around that curve. Then I take the rest of the outer profile down that 1/4" that I talked about earlier.

Bill Fleming
11-19-2007, 7:39 AM
Thx folks, I've made a couple of tries and the results were ok but it felt a "little lucky and too much sand paper" - Always hate to try tricky things on the foot or rim finish.... too easy to move quickly to "safe this bowl of a thing mode"....

Would be interested in seeing anyones details in this area and when I produce one worthy I will post as well.

Cheers - Bill

David Fried
11-19-2007, 8:02 AM
Looks like the basic foot is created early when he is roughing out the bowl with a bowl gouge.

I could see shaping the foot with a square scraper myself.

I have to wonder if someone with more skill could roll it with the bowl gouge.

Dean Matthews
11-19-2007, 8:50 AM
Looks like the basic foot is created early when he is roughing out the bowl with a bowl gouge.

I could see shaping the foot with a square scraper myself.

I have to wonder if someone with more skill could roll it with the bowl gouge.

Not saying I have the requisite skills... but I tried with a bowl gouge and it wasn't happening... not unless you use one of the micro ones. Even my 3/8" spindle was too much.

I am going to bet either a beading tool or a captive ring tool would get the result.

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2007, 5:07 PM
I roll it with either a swept grind 3/8" bowl gouge and sometimes will use a 1/4" spindle gouge. A skew will work great in some instances. I don't see a need for a beading tool.

TYLER WOOD
11-19-2007, 5:39 PM
I've rolled a rim or two with either a scraper or a bowl gouge. Either will work, just personal preference I think. Getting the cut in would probably be easier with the gouge.

Reed Gray
11-19-2007, 7:08 PM
I would imagine that the rim bead was done with standard chucking. As said before, leave it chunky there, and turn the bowl, then fine tune it with a small spindle/detail gouge. I can fake some things with a skew, but wouldn't want to experiment on some thing like this with one. I would think that the bottom ring was done by reverse chucking. The foot of the bowl for roughing and fine turning could either be a tenon, or a recess. Then when you reverse mount it to finish up the foot, you turn the details on the foot rim. Again, I would use a small spindle/detail gouge. Beads like those should only be sanded with finer grits, as you can quickly and drastically change the shape with the 80 grit gouge.
robo hippy

Dean Matthews
11-22-2007, 5:56 PM
I just re-read the article this evening. On Page 34 he says that he was using a set of Captive Ring tools to make the the rim and foot.