PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Dust Collector stopped working

Sal Kurban
11-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Greetings to everyone,

I have HF dust collector that has stopped working. When I turn it on, no move; as such I would like to know if there is something I should check (I have minimum if any knowledge of electricity) before I replace it.

Thanks for any feedback,

Sal.

Mike Heidrick
11-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Most likely the switch. Seems to go out quite often. Mine did at about two years of use and most of that time I used a remote.

Unplug the DC.
Remove the screws to the switch cover plate. Carefully remove it.

It is a double pole switch.

You can test with a volt meter or if you do not have one of those you can test it by disconnecting the switch and plugging the two black wires together and the two white wires together (I believe that is the color of the wiring) (connect each of them with two spades and a short length of wire - electrical tape everything up so nothing can short out) and then plug it in. If it works it is your junk switch and you have a couple options.

Buy another double pole automotive switch from radio shack or an auto parts store or some place online and replace it (I replaced mine with a John Deere automotive switch as I was selling it soon afterwards becuse of an upgrade). Or you can leave it wired together and buy a $10 110V outdoor remote switch from Menards or somewhere and use that as your switch.

Gary Breckenridge
11-18-2007, 11:45 PM
:cool:I'd take it back to the factory.:cool:

Johnathan Bussom
11-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Sal, first thing I would do (with a limited knowledge of electricity) is try another outlet......... FIRST........

Are you pulling the plug or the wire (real dangerous) when disconnecting or is it plugged in all the time???

Then follow instructions above.

John

Sal Kurban
11-19-2007, 8:33 AM
Sal, first thing I would do (with a limited knowledge of electricity) is try another outlet......... FIRST........

Are you pulling the plug or the wire (real dangerous) when disconnecting or is it plugged in all the time???

Then follow instructions above.

John

First, thanks to all for the suggestions except that with the free fall of the $, it will be hard to fly the darn thing to the factory in Shanghai :D

This green monster has been hooked to a remote switch so it was on permanently. I hooked it to another outlet and such but did not move. I will try Mike's suggestions and replace the switch.

Sal.

Matt Meiser
11-19-2007, 11:01 AM
You could also temporarily just hardwire around the switch to test that that's the actual problem. Obviously observe safety precautions doing this and don't attempt it if you aren't sure what you are doing.

Bob Oehler
11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey all
All great ideas and I will add does it hum or get warm. If it does that there may be something keeping it from turning. I do not know the machine but if you unplug and see if you can turn the impeller by hand if it rotates you know there is nothing holding it up. Also is there some sort or reset switch that could need to be reset.

My 2 cents

Good Luck
Bob Oehler

Bob Herpolsheimer
11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
My vote is on the switch too. I too have a HF that was hooked to a remote switch. When mine died I pulled the switch and just wired it direct and haven't had a bit of trouble since.

Richard Magbanua
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I have a HF DC and it quit on me earlier this year. The swich assembly had melted and shorted. While it was unplugged I rewired it, bypassing the switch. For now, I have it plugged into the switch for my router table which is in the extension of my tablesaw. It's actually very convenient for me because when I use my tablesaw I just reach to the right and turn on my DC. I'm not complaining about the HF DC though. For the price you can't beat it, broken switch or not. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Todd Jensen
11-19-2007, 2:54 PM
Harbor Freight Dust Collector stopped working:eek:

:D

Mike Marcade
11-19-2007, 5:28 PM
Harbor Freight Dust Collector stopped working:eek:

:D

NEWS FLASH!!!! :D

Al Killian
11-19-2007, 5:38 PM
Take the swicth out and toss it in the garbage. Then go by a regular switch. Now you will have no more problems with it not starting.:)

Dave Falkenstein
11-19-2007, 8:22 PM
Take the swicth out and toss it in the garbage. Then go by a regular switch. Now you will have no more problems with it not starting.:)

Or - Take the HFDC out and toss it in the garbage. Then go buy a regular DC. Now you will have no more problems with it not starting.:)

Sal Kurban
11-20-2007, 9:31 PM
My vote is on the switch too. I too have a HF that was hooked to a remote switch. When mine died I pulled the switch and just wired it direct and haven't had a bit of trouble since.

This is exactly what I did; I hardwired it bypassing the switch and now it is hooked to the remote switch. It works perfect.

Thanks guys!

Sal.

Mike Heidrick
11-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Glad it worked out for you Sal.

Glad the DC is working. Have the Wynn cannister on it yet?

The HFDC is nice but when you get a new cyclone or big single stage one of these days you will know what the jokes/recomendations are all about. Until then get the Wynn and enjoy the HFDC in good health.

Sal Kurban
11-27-2007, 6:41 PM
Glad it worked out for you Sal.

Glad the DC is working. Have the Wynn cannister on it yet?

The HFDC is nice but when you get a new cyclone or big single stage one of these days you will know what the jokes/recomendations are all about. Until then get the Wynn and enjoy the HFDC in good health.

Yes I have had the Wynn canister installed since day 1. I never used the bags that came with it.