PDA

View Full Version : Where Hardwood Lumber Comes From

Rod Peterson
11-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Bill Tindall, a WoodCentral regular, experienced lumberman, and no lightweight author, posted a series of articles on WoodCentral from May through September entitled Where Hardwood Lumber Comes From which generated a lot of interest as it progressed. Bill recently re-edited the article and sent it to the WoodCentral Articles Production Team which got the thing proofread, converted to HTML (and WC look-and-feel), styled to a seven chapter format, and was added to the Articles section this evening.

Bruce Page
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks Rod. That should be good reading.
I don't suspect the link will last long as it violates SMC's TOC, but I've bookmarked it.;)

Jim Kountz
11-19-2007, 5:07 AM
Thanks Rod, good reading there. And heaven forbid we help each other by sending them to another website. How ridiculous is that rule? Like we never visit any other sites for woodworking? I feel like Im back in school again and may get sent to the principles office!!:(

Brett Elliott
11-19-2007, 6:32 AM
I don't suspect the link will last long as it violates SMC's TOC...

I PAID for this? Why shouldn't I be able to link to whomever I wish?

Brett

Grant Wilkinson
11-19-2007, 7:03 AM
I wasn't on last night, and the link is dead this morning. Could one of you PM me the link, please?

Jason Roehl
11-19-2007, 7:08 AM
The Terms of Service debate has been hashed out here several times. Please don't put us through it again. Links to other forums are not allowed. Lowe's doesn't refer you to Home Depot...

If you want to see the article, put a little thought into it. Rod mentioned the site, even if it's not linked--WoodCentral. You just have to put the ".com" after it yourself. Once you're there, just do a little digging and you'll find it.

John Bailey
11-19-2007, 8:27 AM
Please keep your postings to information about the original post. As Jason has, correctly, noted, whether or not to allow direct links to other forums has been debated, sometimes hotly, in the past. All members have agreed to the Terms of Service which do not allow direct links to other forums. If the thread turns into another rehash of direct links to other forums, it will be closed. Remember, it's not the information, but only the direct link.

Thanks for your understanding.

John

David Epperson
11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Lowe's doesn't refer you to Home Depot...

Well, actually, they have. :D

Rob Will
11-19-2007, 9:12 PM
Yes, that is a very interesting article about hardwood lumber at WoodCentral . com. I found the link to be quite helpful. The article gives an insider's view of the hardwood timber industry. As a WW'er and property owner, this article at WoodCentral . com was worth sending to a few friends.

Rob

Jeff Miller
11-19-2007, 9:59 PM
I saw that at WoodCentral .com too. Good reading

JEFF:D

Jason Roehl
11-20-2007, 8:28 AM
Well, actually, they have. :D

Okay, I've had a few instances where one borg has suggested that other, nameless borgs might have what I need, but I'd bet that was just the salesperson being helpful, not corporate policy. I would guess that the corporate offices have policies against such referrals.

I just thought of another example...you can't drink Coke while you're working at a Pizza Hut (owned by PepsiCo).