PDA

View Full Version : Best information to learn the different species of wood?

Mike Heidrick
11-18-2007, 9:46 PM
What is the best way to learn the grain and color and characteristics of wood? I would like to be able to look at a piece of wood and know what it is immediately. Is there a book that is recommended? Websites? Any info or ideas??

Jeff Booth
11-18-2007, 9:51 PM
Bruce Hoadley has a good book on identifying wood. He also has another excellent book on the properties of wood. I recommend them both.

Jeff

"Jason Belous"
11-18-2007, 10:51 PM
In my opinion start taking some weekend field trips to sawyers and lumber suppliers. Not only do you get to see alot of wood in all different stages but you get to meet some nice people along the way. "your networth in life is only as great as your network", my father always told me this.

JayStPeter
11-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Going to wood suppliers, buying and working the wood are the best way to learn. I can't say I'm an expert, but I get better with each project. I can even manage to recognize the occasional log now.

Mike Heidrick
11-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Bruce Hoadley has a good book on identifying wood. He also has another excellent book on the properties of wood. I recommend them both.

Jeff

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the pair.

Also picked up The Woodbook; American Woods (1883-1913, 1928) (Taschen 25th Anniversary) (Hardcover)by Romeyn Beck Hough (Author) locally so I could start tonight.

Alex Shanku
11-19-2007, 6:08 AM
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/