PDA

View Full Version : Gloat: Took lathe Back

Ray Dockrey
02-13-2004, 5:56 PM
I know that is kind of a weird gloat, but I finally had enough and took my Delta 46-715 lathe back and got a refund. It took getting the district rep involved, but it went pretty smoothly. I tried going through Delta's customer service to get the right parts, but that was futile and I did not receive the kind of service people rave about. I am not slamming Delta in anyway, I just didn't have good luck with them. The lathe was getting worse and worse. Jim Becker posted a message one time that I shouldn't have to try and fix the problems. that was up to Delta and things just did not work out. I couldn't afford at this time what I want which is the JET 1442, so I bought the EVS JET mini. I will get the 1442 when we get our income tax if we do okay this year. I really like the mini and it is so much quieter and smoother than the Delta. Still working on getting the G0555 bandsaw setup. The riser is here, but not installed. Probably tomorrow.

Ken Salisbury
02-13-2004, 6:06 PM
The Jet Mini is a great little lathe - you will love it.

Consider you next lathe as a Jet 1642VS even if you have to wait longer for the $$.

Jim Becker
02-13-2004, 8:22 PM
The only way that tool manufacturers will get the message, at least in some small way, that we all will not accept stinky quality is if we refuse to keep or buy tools that are not right. I applaud you for returning the substandard machine for that reason.

You'll enjoy the VS Mini...it's a great machine. I also agree with Ken, your next step should be to the Jet 1642 or PM 3520A. A non-VS machine will only a slight capacity increase isn't really much of an upgrade. If you have to wait longer to make that move, so be it. The Mini will do a whole lot of turning for you in the mean time.

Ray Dockrey
02-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Thanks so much for the kind words and the good advice.I have turned a little on the lathe and absolutely love it. In thinking about what you said, that makes perfect sense considering that the mini will do alot. Thanks again for the advice Ken and Jim. I really appreciate it.