PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520 optional dust hood

Dan Forman
11-18-2007, 9:07 PM
Has anyone ever seen this dust hood? It reportedly fixes to the banjo and moves along with it. I haven't been able to find a source or even a picture of it.

Dan

Bill Bolen
11-18-2007, 9:58 PM
Tim H did a reveiw on the PM and the dust colector was pictured. Try here
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm3520brvu.html
Bill

Dan Forman
11-19-2007, 1:46 AM
Thanks Bill. Wonder why they are so hard to find? Wish it had a 5 or 6 inch port though.

Dan

JerHall
11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
is shown at mustardmonster dot googlepages dot com
go to the Dust Collection Page
Also a drawing of PM's solution.

Dan Forman
11-19-2007, 5:18 PM
Thanks Jerry.

Dan

Hilel Salomon
11-20-2007, 8:46 AM
Normally, I like PM stuff. The lathe and most of the attachments are well made. It strikes me though that their dust hood attachment is pretty strictly for spindle work. In VA, I bought a large dust hood attached to an adjustable stand (got it from Woodcraft). It works great on bowls, large and small. Here in Columbia, I tried an independent dust gizmo vacuum and hood made by Delta and it wasn't very satisfactory. Then I attached a small plastic (also made by Delta) hood to a shop made adjustable stand, and that too is not satisfactory. I'm going to shelve these two and get another one from woodcraft. It's large enough to get most of the dust (depending on your vacuum or dust collector) of the stuff sanding creates.
Luck, Hilel.

JerHall
11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
taped and clamped to my collection hose. I used snips to enlarge the opening and left tabs to attach it to the hose. I fastened this to a wooden "L" shaped banjo that gives a lot of adjustability. It moves neatly to the left and away when not in use and does not interfere with any turning. This seems like an ideal, cheap and fast solution for me.

I will try to get around to taking a picture. I guess the "useless" headstock bracket could be used to mount a collection hood on a horizontal pipe. Lots of good ideas in this thread.

Dan Forman
11-20-2007, 3:07 PM
I'd be happy to see any pics of dc solutions!

Dan

JerHall
11-20-2007, 6:24 PM
OK, here is the picture of my dust collection. Features:
- Aluminum shop light shade commonly available at HW stores
- Dryer vent hose to give a bit of rigidity for placement. May change over to regular ribbed hose it it doesn't hold up
- Cut open the shade with snips to make tabs and an opening to fit hose and taped on. Used Aluminum duct tape (not the cheap stuff) inside and out.
- Made "Banjo" with long slot for positioning and adjustable clamping to ways.
- "Shade" fixed by plastic plumbers tape to height adjustable 1-1/4 dowel. Friction fit to hole in Banjo to move up and down. Top 2/3 of the hole is oversize, only bottom part is friction fit to ease adjustment. Sanded to fine tune.
- Removes easily, but mostly is tucked out of the way well back, or against headstock.
- The hose goes overhead to a gated dust collection port to my central Oneida system. Stand alone system would work too. Need high volume, low vacuum, dust collection to be effective. I have a remote so I don't have an excuse for not using it. But late at night my wife does show up and tell me to turn the darn thing off.

I guess that's it. Works great. Not too pretty. Can't have everything. You might want to make the banjo a bit longer than I did, but it is a tradeoff between clearance from your work and your belly button.

Alternative that should work well would be to put a horizontal pipe or bar off of that headstock bracket and fix the same set up to it, providing for adjustment up and down. This wouldn't clutter up the ways. The pipe could also hold flexible arm lighting. But the "Banjo" solution provides, I think, more flexibility for positioning.

Dan Forman
11-20-2007, 9:11 PM
OK, here is the picture of my dust collection. Features:
- Aluminum shop light shade commonly available at HW stores
- Dryer vent hose to give a bit of rigidity for placement. May change over to regular ribbed hose it it doesn't hold up
- Cut open the shade with snips to make tabs and an opening to fit hose and taped on. Used Aluminum duct tape (not the cheap stuff) inside and out.
- Made "Banjo" with long slot for positioning and adjustable clamping to ways.
- "Shade" fixed by plastic plumbers tape to height adjustable 1-1/4 dowel. Friction fit to hole in Banjo to move up and down. Top 2/3 of the hole is oversize, only bottom part is friction fit to ease adjustment. Sanded to fine tune.
- Removes easily, but mostly is tucked out of the way well back, or against headstock.
- The hose goes overhead to a gated dust collection port to my central Oneida system. Stand alone system would work too. Need high volume, low vacuum, dust collection to be effective. I have a remote so I don't have an excuse for not using it. But late at night my wife does show up and tell me to turn the darn thing off.

I guess that's it. Works great. Not too pretty. Can't have everything. You might want to make the banjo a bit longer than I did, but it is a tradeoff between clearance from your work and your belly button.

Alternative that should work well would be to put a horizontal pipe or bar off of that headstock bracket and fix the same set up to it, providing for adjustment up and down. This wouldn't clutter up the ways. The pipe could also hold flexible arm lighting. But the "Banjo" solution provides, I think, more flexibility for positioning.

Very cool, thanks for the pic. Do you use it only for sanding, or when turning dry wood as well? What is your hose diameter?

Dan

JerHall
11-20-2007, 9:44 PM
into a network that ends at 6" at my central dust collector. I use it mostly during sanding large objects. Should use it more often on small stuff. Do lots of green turning and wet or damp sanding. Don't use it for that. Don't use it for dry turning either. No dust in the main if I am doing it right. Really don't like listening to the dust collector so I may not use it as much as perhaps I should.