PDA

View Full Version : Onieda Dust Deputy

David Beeler
11-18-2007, 9:05 PM
Has anyone used the Dust Deputy with your shop vac? Do you like it well enough to say you would buy it again?

Lee Hingle
11-18-2007, 9:16 PM
David,
I own the DD. I was skeptical at first so I did not buy one until about 6 or 8 months ago when Oneida had it on sale for $149 with free shipping.
I will say that the thing works every bit as advertised. Nothing but fine talc in the DD and not a spot of anything in the shop vac's filter that I can see. Mine is hooked up to a ridgid 5" RO sander. I also have a bosch 5" RO, but the vacuum works too well and I find it skips around because it is sucking too much.
Would I recommend it? In a word - YES! I love mine.

Any drawbacks? Well, the inlet and outlet don't seem to be a standard size. So you will need an adapter (from oneida) to attach your vac to the outlet and you will need to buy one of the oneida hoses that hooks up between your sander and the DD inlet.

Good luck with your decision - I'm not disappointed in the least and if I had paid the full $200 I would still think it was a good deal.

Lee

Tom Hamilton
11-18-2007, 9:38 PM
Hi David

I've owned one for over a year and it works great. The inlet and outlets are not sized at the standard for shop vacs, (2 1/4 or 2 1/2) so some hose cutting and hose clamps are a part of the solution.

I have used mine on a DeWalt 635 planer, on the table saw overhead guard, on the lathe while sanding, on the orbital sander and the biscuit joiner. In other word where ever I should have a real cyclone the Deputy is on duty.

I use a Depot 5 gal bucket with a piece of carpet pad as the seal and it performs well. I'd would do it again.

Best regards, Tom

David Beeler
11-18-2007, 9:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if you could use one on a metal garbage can with a trash bag to obtain a good air seal. It appears to me to be top heavy on a 5 gal can. Any thoughts?

David

Don Bullock
11-18-2007, 9:53 PM
I concur with everything that Lee said. I bought the complete version just because I didn't want to have to figure out what to use for a bucket ou how to "seal" the system. Friday I used it with my Bosch ROS for the first time and was amazed at how well it worked. I can't say, however, that the Dust deputy captures all the saw dust or sanding dust from my machines. Some does still make it to the ShopVac. Like Lee, I found unstandarized attachments is a problem. Oneida has an attachment that works, but I also found that I had to buy one of their hoses for the input end. Then, I had to buy an attachment from CPO Bosch to go between the sander and the hose. I still don't have attachments that will fit my machines (planer, table saw, jointer, etc) I've used it with all of them. They all seem to have different size DC outlets. At this time I'm "making do." Unfortunately the Dust Deputy and ShopVac are my only DC. Yes, I realize that this isn't the best for that, but for now I don't have room and money for anything else. I'll address better DC when we move within the next two years and I have an actual shop (I hope).

You might also consider the Clear Vue Cyclone Mini CV06.

Jim Eller
11-19-2007, 7:42 AM
I have one too. Works great and like everyone said above...............

Jim