PDA

View Full Version : Finish for a machete handle

Joe Petersen
11-18-2007, 7:33 PM
I'm making a Woodmans Pal (http://www.woodmanspal.com/images/newlogo6.gif) clone for my Father-in-Law. He is an old mountain man and would benefit much from it. I have a small piece of heart pine he gave me a couple years ago that I have found nothing worthy of making. I would like to make the handle with it for the sentiment.

What finish will best bring out the beauty of the wood? Also, will heart pine make a durable handle?

Steve Schoene
11-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I like shellac for applications such as that. It looks great, feels good underhand, and will likely stick to the highly resinous heart pine. I presume it won't actually be used to clear paths on long wilderness treks, whatever service it gets around the yard or farm.

Joe Petersen
11-19-2007, 7:13 PM
I didn't really think of the resin being a factor. Good point. He would most definitely use the devil out of it. Will this make it unusable for regular service?
I could always get some Oak but would like to use this.

Steve Schoene
11-20-2007, 4:17 AM
Shellac will still be fine. Easy to repair if he does scratch it, where as a varnish would be a bit tougher to scratch, but only a bit tougher, but would be much more difficult to repair.