PDA

View Full Version : New arbor for table saw

David Klug
03-04-2003, 11:31 AM
I have an old Craftsman table saw with a cast iron table. I just got a new dado blade set and the widest dado that I can safely put on it is 1/2 in. I was wondering if it is possible and safe to get a larger arbor so I could at least make a dado 3/4 in. wide. Any ideas where I could get one and would it be safe.

Dave

Jim Izat
03-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Hey David,

I think two factors will contribute to whether or not you'll want to make such a change (if such a part is available!). They are: what is the horsepower rating of your saw? and What is the size of your dado set (diameter in inches). Most folks have 8" sets. From what I've read the recommendation is to use no larger than a 6" set on a contractors type saw of 2 hp or less. I want to say that I also read somwhere that the arbors on the smaller saws was deliberately left short to keep operators from stacking on more weight than the saw could safely spin. I think I did, but who knows? Lunch yesterday is already a mystery lost in the mists of time......

Jim Izat

Bob Boake
03-04-2003, 12:50 PM
I replaced an arbor in a sears contractor saw once. You know... the belt drive model with the cast grid pattern extensions. The arbor came with the bearing already pressed on it. I tapped it in with a deep socket against the outside collar of the bearing. solved my excessive runout problem.

Sears only offered one part number for replacement. I think it ran about 40.00$. If someone was motivated, I imagine you could find a heavier arbor with a longer thread pattern and have the shaft machined down to fit the bearing and pulley. Just guessing that it would be less expensive to modify an existing part than a complete fabrication.

During the 80's and90's TS were mfg by emerson for sears. They have made some upgrades when converting to rigid. You might measure the arbor on a new rigid at HD to see if they have added length and are compatible.

Bartee Lamar
03-04-2003, 1:11 PM
I have craftsman 10" ( 113.298151) When I use 3/4 dado I just don't put the big washer on. I do not see that as a problem. I get consistent dadoes with any wooble. I did replace the entire trunion unit due to stripped out gears on the for rasing and lowerng.

Dan Bundy
03-04-2003, 1:36 PM
I have a Craftsman, too, but I'm able to get all of a 13/16" set on, though it is a tight fit. I don't use the outside washer that you would usually use between the nut and a blade. DB