PDA

View Full Version : Questions on parting tools

John Sheets
11-18-2007, 7:26 PM
I could use some advice on a couple of parting tools I recently acquired. One is the 1/8 thick stock with the "bevel" going completely across the tool width at about a 45 degree angle to the other edge, and having a small flute cut into the long edge. The other is a 1/16 inch thin tool, again with the profile being just a 45 degree angle across the wide surface,specifically http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/products/partingtools.asp The more I looked at them and thought about it, I could visualize their being used either with the beveled edge toward the ceiling or the floor, but I'm sure they're intended to be used in a certain way.
Also, should these be sharpened by simply placing the factory ground edge against the wheel, and ending up with a hollow grind such as you might get on one of the faces of a conventional parting tool? As wide as these are, it looks like the hollow grind produced would be very pronounced.
Thanks for any info,
John

Dean Thomas
11-18-2007, 9:52 PM
If I'm reading your post right, you're talking about a fluted parting tool (http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=213515&Category_Code=) and the tool marked 244A on your referenced page.

Yes, you can sharpen them on a wheel, but you don't need to, especially with the skinny one (244A). Well, with both of them, actually. My understanding is that these particular tools are both designed to be used at the angles with which they were created. Putting them on an 8" (or even more exaggeratedly, a 6" wheel) is going to change the angle of attack, making it even steeper. That will change how they attack the wood. And it makes the cutting edge even thinner that it is at the original angle. A thinner edge usually means that it will not last as long.

One man's experience and thoughts.

Richard Madison
11-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Consider using with the bevel down, and sharpen by rubbing the bevel on a flat stone or diamond hone. If you must grind, lay it flat on the tool rest at 90 degrees to the finest wheel you have and make a light pass on the bevel.

Alex Elias
11-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I have both of those and gring the regular way on an 8" inch wheel. Not saying is the right or wrong way but it works fine for me.

Bill Jack
11-19-2007, 3:40 AM
Hi John,
The 244 tool, i.e. the short thin one should be used with the cut away part pointing upwards. Firstly however you must grind the tip away, about 2/3mm at approx right angles to the cut away section.
its that small tip that does the work.
A light touch up on the grinder is all thats required afterwards.
regards,
Bill

Malcolm Tibbetts
11-19-2007, 10:50 AM
My most used parting tool is non-fluted and 1/16" thick (wide). Before any important cut, I lightly touch both the upper and lower surfaces (in that order) to a 8" wheel. Works for me. The tiny burr left by the wheel is what does the cutting, but the burr doesn't last very long.

John Sheets
11-19-2007, 6:24 PM
Thanks for the tips, folks.
John