PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw motor

Kevin Lucas
11-18-2007, 5:39 PM
I came across an old scroll saw 18 inch neck without a motor. Its about 40 years old but everything moves fine. There is a local hardware store I can get a pulley and belt but where do you find a motor? Better yet a motor you don't have to give an arm and a leg for )

Kevin Lucas
Louisville Ky

mike wacker
11-18-2007, 6:38 PM
Grandpa used to savenge motors out of old washing machines. One of those might have enough hp for a scroll saw. You might half to fiddle with pulleys to get a speed you like.

Dave Lehnert
11-18-2007, 7:46 PM
Check Harbor Freight. Better if you can visit a store. I was surprised that some of their house brand motors were made in the USA.

J Simpson
11-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Most scrollsaws recommend a 1/4 to 1/3hp motor. As mentioned previously, washing machine motors are OK, as are small drill press motors. I'm always picking up small motors like that at swap meets, etc, usually for $10 or $15, often including pulleys. As cheap as small drill presses go, new or used, it might be a better option than buying a motor by itself.

Kevin Lucas
11-19-2007, 2:04 PM
Thank you ) I wasn't sure on the size and I was thinking 1/2 hp but that helps a lot.