PDA

View Full Version : Multi tasking Cyclone DC

Bob Slater
11-18-2007, 3:55 PM
Ist post. I am close to deciding on my system for a shop I am building. The front runner is a Super Gorilla 2HP to run through some gated overhead ducting. I need the dc to service my bandsaw, table saw, Radial Arm saw and router table and a seperate room where I will be doing automotive restoration. I would like the DC to take care of sanding dust in this room as well as body filler dust. The length of this ducting run will be about 20 feet. Are there any conflicts with using a DC to deal with this type of Dust? Any pickups that run off pneumatic sanders?

Matt Meiser
11-18-2007, 4:55 PM
One concern would be that when you sand through primer, you hit metal and risk making sparks.

Jim Becker
11-18-2007, 4:59 PM
I agree with Matt. The Gorilla (and all similar) is designed for wood dust only. And a shop vac is a better choice for use with small sanders, anyway, due to the way DC systems work. Woodworking dust collection systems are designed to move a lot of air at low pressure...and it's that air movement that brings the dust and chips along. Small tools like hand-held sanders have very small ports which limits the amount of air they can provide to the hose and raises the pressure substantially. Vacs are designed to handle high pressure and low volume.

Jim O'Dell
11-18-2007, 5:23 PM
I agree with the above posts, but will add that you could use a commercial, or home made, air cleaner to help with the dust in the area, in conjunction with a shop vac to catch most of the dust at the point of origin. Jim.

Rob Will
11-18-2007, 6:11 PM
We try to do heavy automotive sanding (and some painting) outside. I don't think a DC would help with that kind of dust anyway..

You might think about ventilating your "automotive" side with a big fan and installing a floor drain. That way, you can wash it down and use it as a paint room.

Now here's the bonus. You just created a finishing room for WW projects as well !!!:cool::D

My new shop is three separate rooms connected with big interior doors:

Garage / storage area
Paint / finishing / bodywork room
WoodshopIf I had it to do over again I would shift my square footage around a bit. The paint room needs to be smaller and the WW shop needs to be bigger.
WW machines and wood storage take up a lot of room.
Paint rooms need to emptied out and washed down.

Good luck,

Rob

Bob Slater
11-18-2007, 7:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and cautions. I suppose I can do without DC while working on the car , as I will be using a respirator. I recently purchased two JDS ER750 dust filters, one for each room. Got an amazing deal at $300 for the pair, with one being brand new.. On one , the remote didn't work, so I moved the control panel to a wall box and extended the wires. Much better for me than trying to find the remote. Great forum BTW. I have read a lot of posts in the last few days.

Jim O'Dell
11-18-2007, 7:42 PM
Hey Bob, sorry I didn't notice that this was your first post. Welcome to the Creek! You're right, it is a great place! Jim.

Mike Pierson
11-19-2007, 8:11 PM
kinda been said already...but somewhere - either in the owners manual or installation guide - it says for woodworking dust only. I forget where I saw it, I have been shuffling Oneida papers for about a month doing my install but pretty certain I saw it...for whatever that is worth.