PDA

View Full Version : Water Oak Bowls

Andy Blackwell
11-18-2007, 1:48 PM
Last winter we visited Fort Frederica National Monument on St. Simons Island off the coast of Georgia. A storm had previously blown down this water oak tree. I told the rangers that I would take a piece home and turn a few bowls for display in the visitor center. They agreed. These will be delivered when we return in January 08. The bowls are turned to be functional and have only an oil finish. They could be representative of bowls in use in the homes in 1736 when John Oglethorpe established the fort. In 1736 Georgia was called the debatable land laying between English South Carolina and Spanish Florida.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2007, 2:03 PM
Beautiful bowls Andy! They should make for a wonderful display! The rangers (and general public) should be extremely happy with your contribution to this historical site! Very nice work!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-18-2007, 2:08 PM
Nice work, Andy! I'm sure the folks in Ft. Fredrica NM will truly appreciate them.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2007, 3:33 PM
Well done Andy. They surely will be appreciated.

Paul Engle
11-18-2007, 6:45 PM
I like # 3 the best but they all are pretty spiffy Andy, nice work , the PR's should be happy with these for sure.Make sure you ask if you can have brag tags for em in case visitors want to order one:eek: or a whole set.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-18-2007, 6:48 PM
They look really nice Andy! The Rangers made a wise decision when they gave you the wood. Good job all the way around.

Jim Becker
11-18-2007, 7:25 PM
Very nice forms, Andy. I really like these pieces! And it's very generous of you to contribute them back to the visitor center, too.

Tom Sherman
11-18-2007, 8:25 PM
Great work Andy for a great cause too.

Tom Hamilton
11-18-2007, 9:51 PM
Nice contribution to the Park Andy. What are the dimensions of the bowls? Tom