PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting jointer beds on Tecnomax 16" combo

Wayne Watling
11-18-2007, 1:19 PM
Hi,

A few days ago I noticed when jointing a board that it came out slightly concave, it was small but none the less it wasn't good enough for what I was doing. I tried a few other boards of varying species with the same problem. I spent most of the day yesterday getting to understand how
the jointer beds are adjusted and attempting to raise the end of the
infeed table to remove the sag. My conclusion was there isn't any
ajustment to raise the END of the bed. The two bolts and locknuts
afixed to the underside of each table seem to do a good job at
aligning the tables with each other and with the knives but are not
designed to correct sagging ends.
When raising the bolt furtherest from the cutterhead it did raise the
ends to some extent but it didn't raise it uniformly across the
table, the front side (closest to switch) was raised more than the rear which then created other issues getting the jointer fence aligned properly across its length.
The only solution that comes to me right now (unless i'm missing
something) is to shim the right hand bed hinge itself.

Thanks for any comments from Minimax jointer owners, these are the type of beds where the in/out feed tables lift up independly of each other.

Wayne

ps. X-posted to the Minimax forum which doesn't seem to be getting much traffic.

Jim Becker
11-18-2007, 1:29 PM
Wayne, I asked this same question a long time ago relative to my own J/P combo which is similar in format to your larger combo machine. The answer is that while you can use the bolt on the outboard side to raise things slightly, but have to shim on the hinge side. It's not easy, but fortunately, it's a one time deal. I suspect this is more or less the same with almost any combo when you have a hinged situation.

Jeff A. Smith
11-18-2007, 1:55 PM
I had the same deal on my MM jointer. A cheap feeler gauge from the auto parts store makes for great shim stock.

Jeff

Wayne Watling
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks Jim and Jeff, actually it shouldn't be to difficult. A matter of loosening the two hinge bolts, lifting the bed slightly and slipping a small piece of that LV brass shim stock into the gap. I'll do a follow up with the results.
I'm a bit wary of touching it at the moment because I'm in the middle of a big job and somehow one of the adjustments got it close enough that its jointing flat again. I'll do it when I've finished.

Thanks again.
Wayne