PDA

View Full Version : Three Vacation Vases

John Hart
11-18-2007, 9:46 AM
I took a couple days off this week with the intent of hammering out a vase design. 4 Days....Three Vases. All in all, I'm happy with the progress, although, I really want to refine these to something more pleasing. I figure it'll take me about 10 years......and 2500 vases.:o

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2007, 9:48 AM
No better way to spend some time off John. The vases look great. Looks like you had some fun.

Rich Stewart
11-18-2007, 11:09 AM
I like 3-2-1 in that order. Right to left. #1 has a kind of pudgy look that ain't doin' it for me. Although I really like the wood and the finish. #2 and # 3 I like. A lot. I like that teardrop shape. Still blowing my mind how you attach those appendages and keep the whole thing going straight. I can hardly keep one piece going true. You must get more time than me in the shop. What's that? Like three vases in three days? Er... I mean vahhhses. Did I spell appendages correctly?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Nicely done John....all of them.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Really nice work on all the vases John! For some reason I like the walnut/maple vase the best. I think I like the overall proportions of the piece - just seems more balanced than the others. Great way to spend some free time!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-18-2007, 1:58 PM
Tell ya what, John, them's some beauts!

Paul Engle
11-18-2007, 2:59 PM
John, I like em. #1 my favorite. keep it up .You could make pitchers out of em also. Nice shapes for sure.

Dan Forman
11-18-2007, 4:36 PM
I really want to refine these to something more pleasing.

John---I'm a newbie to turning, so you can take the next paragraph with a grain of salt, but I do have some experience with painting and photography, and all share similar design elements. The quality of the turnings here is wonderful, I especially like the third one.

If you are not entirely pleased with them, as indicated, I would suggest looking at the "caps". To me, while nicely done, they seem a bit large, too similar in size to the bases. The effect is that bases and caps are fighting for dominance, which creates a certain amount of tension, with the eye bouncing back and forth from base to cap, rather than resting on the piece as a whole. This is most evident in the first vase, least in the third. I believe that if you tried something smaller and more delicate for the caps (less mass), that you would be happier with the result.

Dan