PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Bandsaw upgrade

Steve Trauthwein
11-18-2007, 8:10 AM
I like the Rikon that Woodcraft carries. I was aiming at the 14", my wife said I should get the 18" on sale so I don't have to trade for a bigger one later. I don't know where she gets the idea that I always want biggger and better tools.

If I read the specs correctly the 14" bandsaw can actully cut a taller piece than the 18". I also like the fact that it can be used with 120v and will take a 1/8" blade. Being $250 cheaper isn't a bad point either.

Any comments, advise or input is welcomed.

Regards, Steve

Tom Hamilton
11-18-2007, 8:17 AM
Steve, as usual our wives are always right. Bigger is better.

More power, greater stability, larger cutting capacity.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, with a Griz 513X

John Hart
11-18-2007, 9:27 AM
All I can say is what I've noticed that I'd like more in my saw. It's a 14" Delta. Don't seem to need a bigger throat...But I sure would like some more height....and there are those days when I wished that I had more horsepower. ...for what it's worth.:)

Bob Justin
11-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Last year I upgraded my 25 year old 14" Delta band saw with a 19" Shop Fox W1729. What an improvement! The vibration is gone. More HP, the blade no longer stalls or slows down when cutting (when using a reasonable feed rate). Larger table and a little lower table height is more comfortable handling stock to be cut.
Not sure about the bigger is better but when things are spinning, more mass is a good thing in terms of machine stability. :D

David Fried
11-18-2007, 10:29 AM
All I can say is what I've noticed that I'd like more in my saw. It's a 14" Delta. Don't seem to need a bigger throat...But I sure would like some more height....and there are those days when I wished that I had more horsepower. ...for what it's worth.:)

I have the same saw and the same sentiments. I had considered the larger Rikkon and often regret no going for it.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Steve - just got off the Woodcraft website after looking up the bandsaws you are considering. Both are nice saws! I guess it really depends what it is you plan on using the saw for. I have the Jet 14" with a 1 hp motor and it does pretty much everything I ask from it - but - it would be nice to have a larger table, greater throat area and more power when I want to round bowl blanks!

The saws you are considering already have more hp than mine - over double the throat area and a larger table area. From the looks of the stats on both saws - just for my purposes - I would probably go with the 14". I runs on power that you already have available, has a larger throat area than the 18" and it takes blades that allow you to do detail scroll work as well as resaw - plus, like you already stated - it's cheaper. Hard decision but really one that should be based on what your present needs are and what you see as future requirements.

Good luck with your decision and make sure you post pictures when you get the new saw home!

robert hainstock
11-18-2007, 4:52 PM
I have the Delta with a 6" riser installed, I also modified it with a more HP motor. But I often wish I had moretable, Hp fence, Etc. Bigger is better.
I had a 12in. jet table saw, and it was super for any thing I ever tried. I believe you will be much happy with "bigger".:)
Bob

Bill Fleming
11-18-2007, 7:22 PM
I have had a MiniMax MM16 since '05 - Love it, great machine, great support.

Pete Jordan
11-18-2007, 7:37 PM
Steve,

I have the 18" and I really like it. It doesn't bog down at all.

Jeff Heil
11-18-2007, 8:14 PM
I have the 14" and am pleased. Resawed 10" panels for a desk in QSWO without hesitation. I was planning on rewiring it for 240v, but it is doing fine on 120v on a dedicated circuit. I went with the smaller BS as it is slightly shorter in height and less in weight, making it easier to get into my basement workshop and easier to move around. The stock fence is solid once you get it adjusted.

The 18" has a bit more power, 2hp vs 1 1/2 if I recall.

The cost difference was a bit more without the current sale on the 18" when I was looking. I would suggest the 14" unless you are planning on lots of resawing or chopping up bowl blanks. I also looked at the SC 18" and it's blade brake while shopping for my BS. It takes a while for the blade to slow on the Rikon after shutting it off.

PM me if you have any other specific questions. I was in the same boat in May.

Jeff

Dean Matthews
11-19-2007, 9:17 AM
I have the Ridgid 14" (yeah yeah... whatever). I have actually had very good luck with the Ridgid tools (aside from the bad bearing and arbor on my table saw (but that got fixed)).

You can get the 14" and always get a riser block later. No need to swap out the whole machine. I am not familiar with the models the poster specified but I think most mfg. have the option of riser blocks on their rigs.

Mine is only 3/4 HP but I have NEVER had an issue with it bogging down. As with any tool tuning it up and tricking it out will help you a lot in the long run. The first thing to go on mine was the stock belt and it was replaced with a link belt. I also lost the original blade guides and did cool blocks. And all of my blades are Timberwolf.

I have had the best luck using the "flutter" method for tightening my blades correctly. That will go a long way into keeping you from getting jacked up and having it perform correctly. And always remember to release the tension on the blade when you are done for the day... leaving it tight will mess up the blade and that will have an impact on your cutting/saftey later.

Brodie Brickey
11-19-2007, 9:47 AM
I have a Grizzly G0555 14" with riser giving me 12" resaw. The only thing I wish is that I didn't bog the saw down when cutting deep bowl blanks. I could use the extra horsepower that comes with the larger saws. I remember seeing a very good rating on the Rikon in Wood Magazine about 10 months ago.

Glenn Hodges
11-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I went through the same thing you are facing. I checked out Steel City and went with a 20 in.

Ray Phillips
11-21-2007, 9:51 AM
I have the 18" RIKON and love it. I had hesitation in buying the RIKON because it would only take 1/4 to 11/4 blade. I wanted to use the 1/8 blade for some scroll work. I called RIKON and was advised that Carter Products had just come out with a blade stabilizer for the RIKON 18". I purchased the Carter stabilizer for $69.00 and installed it and now I can do scroll work and it works Great. I now feel that I have a bandsaw that can be used for large or small work. It has more than enough power. I have resawed 8" walnut and it cut like butter. Good luck on your decision. Go for the larger saw. As has been said on this forum by so many good folks before "You can use a large machine to on small projects, but you can" use a small machine on large projects."