PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase

Tom Keen
11-18-2007, 6:31 AM
Something different for me. Cherry 10" x 4". coat of danish oil, buffed.

I think I have a lot of work to do on form.

Thanks for looking,
Tom

Alex Elias
11-18-2007, 6:41 AM
I like it a lot. Simple yet elegant. I woul halike a bit more flare throught the top and not lines in the center. Never the less I like it a lot.
Alex

John Hart
11-18-2007, 7:25 AM
Hey...that's great Tom!!! I agree that you have some minor adjustments to make..but really, it's a very nice form. How was hollowing under the shoulder?

Raymond Overman
11-18-2007, 7:31 AM
You definitely don't have to work on your still life photography skills because that picture, in my opinion, is spot on. It looks like it was painted.

As for the form, I think it's great too. The curves in the bottom section and the neck blend really well and it's very natural looking. I don't mind the horizontal line placement either. Did you hollow it through the bottom?

Tom Keen
11-18-2007, 8:00 AM
Confession: It was a early Sunday morning "doodle". Very green piece of wood. I cut in half and glued it back together, hence the grooves. As for inside the shoulder.. piece of cake..used a big scraper :)

I spoke with some local turners who are very experienced with turning similar pieces. They almost alway turn them green and said that turning them endgrain minimizes the possibility of the two halves warping weirdly and seperating. So, I followed their advice,turned it very thin and let it sit for a week, thinking it would to pull apart as it dried. But, it didnt.

I actually have some real hollowing tools but find the whole process of hollowing to be extremely frustrating. I admire those folks who do it so well!!! A captive ring hollowing set up may in the future... but its way down the list...right after finishing the shop, the big bandsaw, outboard setup, vacuum chuck etc etc etc. So, in the meantime, I will work on form and perfecting the "cheater technique" :)

Tom

Paul Engle
11-18-2007, 8:24 AM
Nice job Tom, sometimes them early morning doodles turn out pretty cool, I like it.

Raymond Overman
11-18-2007, 8:26 AM
Tom,

It's not a cheater technique if it works. Getting a hollowing tool in the neck of that piece would have been a bear and I like the outcome of what you've created. Thanks for sharing the process.

Jim Becker
11-18-2007, 9:00 AM
Tom, that's actually a very nice form and a beautiful piece. Hollowing from the bottom is not "cheating" for this kind of form, either...it's actually quite normal. Nice work!

Ed Scolforo
11-18-2007, 9:32 AM
Tom, gotta say I like it. Simple but elegant.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2007, 9:42 AM
Tom that is beauty. Simple form but very nicely done.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Absolutely love it! Beautiful simple form, flowing curves and finish! Couldn't ask for anything more from a hollow form! Great work and photography!

Mike Vickery
11-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Very nice looking piece

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-18-2007, 2:03 PM
Stunningly gorgeous piece, Tom. IMHO, there's not much (if any) work to do on form. The shape is, to my eye, natural and graceful---reminiscent of a gourd.

Tom Sherman
11-18-2007, 7:45 PM
Very nice piece Tom.

Andy Blackwell
11-18-2007, 7:52 PM
Tom - Very nice indeed.

Ernie Kuhn
11-18-2007, 9:23 PM
Tom, graceful. Like the two rings around the mid section and the ring around the top, ties it all together.

Ernie

Robert McGowen
11-18-2007, 9:56 PM
No problems at all from my view point. Nice job.

Jon Lanier
11-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Folks, this is a real pretty piece. I was able to see it up close a personal and just found it to be awesome. Great job, Tom.

Mike A. Smith
11-21-2007, 5:51 PM
#1 - The pic looks like an old Italian painting, you could frame it!

#2 - I really, really like the form. If you put a gun to my head, I would say it could have come out just a tiny bit at the top when it looks like it might have gotten flat (I admit I have no room to talk, I only noticed because I do it all the time and it drives me crazy.)

Come to think of it, if you held a gun to my head I would say it was the most perfect form that had ever been created!

Bill Wyko
11-21-2007, 6:42 PM
Actually I like the form a lot. Very nice piece.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-21-2007, 9:02 PM
Actually Tom you can quit worrying about the form. It is Great!:)

Richard Madison
11-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, and the shape is real nice too. Curvature looks very smooth all the way up the neck. This can be more difficult than it looks, as some pretty subtle non-uniform (?) curvature changes and very small flat spots can really detract from the overall look.

Skip Spaulding
11-22-2007, 7:30 AM
Sure looks great from here. I would be proud to call it mine!