PDA

View Full Version : How do I adjust my bs tracking?

Michael Weber
11-17-2007, 11:59 PM
I picked up an old Craftsman 12 inch bandsaw last week and started messing around with it today. Tried different blades and none track in the tire center. I see how to adjust the tracking. There is a bolt through the top wheel hub that presses against a rear block, causing the wheel to tilt as it is moved in and out. The bolt has a slot like a screw to turn it. Problem is, I can't turn the bolt either way. I don't see any lock nuts or set screws and have no manual. The model number is 113.243310. Anyone have this model and can give me some advice? I've never used a band saw before today so I may be missing something simple.
Thanks, Mike

Rob Will
11-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Release the blade tension, put some penetrating oil on the screw and let it sit overnight. You might be able to get a pair of vise grips on the head of the screw (?). I have not looked at my saw but if the screw goes through aluminum and it has corroded internally, this could be tough. If you can get it out, put a dab of Never-Seez on the threads. Hope you don't break it.

Sorry if this is way off base, I'm too lazy to go out to the shop.
It's COLD!!!

Good luck,

Rob

Michael Weber
11-18-2007, 8:48 AM
Thanks, frozen bolt was what I was most worried about. Hoping someone would tell me there was a set screw but was difficult to see or anything but that .:(
Mike

Mark Hultzapple
11-18-2007, 9:37 AM
Hi Mike,
I looked at my old Craftsman P/N 113.243311 and I saw what you're talking about. I don't have any set screw in mine. Rob's answer will be your best bet. I would lay the saw on it's side to let gravity help the penetrating oil soak the threads. I would also place a screw driver in the slot and lightly tap it to set up a vibration prior to turning. This sometimes helps break it loose. Don't be too agressive with the hammer though, the alignment adjustment mechanism is made of cast aluminum or white metal which is very brittle. Light taps will go a long way. Good Luck!