PDA

View Full Version : Need some experienced advice on Bandsaws

Geoff Harris
11-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I've decided it's time to buy a Bandsaw.

This is a hobby, my interests are in furniture making so I envision using the saw for joinery, cutting curved parts such as legs and resawing for thinner parts.

My shop is a one car garage, I've got 100A service (which has to do for the whole house too, I don't want to blow the main breaker when the stove and dryer are on at the same time) so the saw can't be too large. I've already got a 2HP dust collector to run at the same time.

Last month I put a refundable deposit on a Laguna LT 14 SE and am now waiting till January sometime for delivery. With such a long time to wait I've been waffling on the purchase. Basically I'm pretty sure the Laguna saw will be a good saw and will fit my needs but I've been taking another look at the Steel City 14 inch saw. The Steel City saw with a riser block gives me similar specs to the Laguna with a slightly smaller motor but at half the price.

In this month's Popular Woodworking I read about Rob Millard's workshop and I couldn't help noticing that he had a very modest bandsaw which he uses to make the most amazing furniture.

So what do you think, is there such a difference between the Laguna and Steel City that I would regret not getting the Laguna?

Thanks for your input,

Geoff.

Rob Will
11-18-2007, 12:45 AM
You've got plenty of power with 100A in the shop.

I don't have any experience with the two saws you mentioned.

All I can say is get a big heavy one ......perhaps more than you think you need right now. In the long run, this will make you smile.:):)

Go 220V on the saw if need be. Again, you've got plenty of capacity.

Rob

Jeff Norri
11-18-2007, 1:23 AM
I am really happy with my Grizzly g013x it is great Value. I can resaw with it and do fine wrok too.

Don't mess around with riser blocks. If you want resaw capacity buy a saw big enough to do the job.

Lance Norris
11-18-2007, 1:26 AM
This all I have to say.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/87

Great saw. Have had it for 2 years now and have gotten excellent service from it.

Geoff Harris
11-18-2007, 1:52 AM
I've edited my first post to clarify that my 100A service is for the whole house not just the shop (don't I wish!). Also Grizzly saws are not availble in Canada :(, at least not easily.

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Fred Chan
11-18-2007, 3:39 AM
Grizzly has a showroom in Bellingham. Take advantage of the weak US dollar and go for a short drive.

Thom Sturgill
11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Last November, Popular Woodworking reviewed 14" steel frame bandsaws and rated the Rikon (#10-325 $749) as best saw and the Craftsman (#22401 $479) as best value. Since the Craftsman was in my price range, that's what I bought.

I had major misgivings about buying Craftsman, but a later review of their 12" saw convinced me. (That and the fact that I could get it delivered to a local Sears store with no shipping charges.)

One minor problem, the blades are not standard length, but there are plenty of sources for custom length blades.

Jesse Cloud
11-18-2007, 1:01 PM
The Laguna would be a sweet saw indeed. The real killer application you mentioned was resawing. If you are trying to resaw veneer from foot wide boards, then you better stick with the Laguna. A 14 inch bandsaw with a 1 HP motor can resaw 5 or 6 inches comfortably. IMHO, the riser on a 14 incher is questionable, since you probably won't have enough horsepower to resaw wide planks anyhow.

For curves and rough resawing a 14 incher will do the job just fine.

Dave MacArthur
11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I've gathered some threads on bandsaw comparisons that may help you. Look at my signature below for the link.

Bruce Benjamin
11-19-2007, 11:24 AM
The Laguna would be a sweet saw indeed. The real killer application you mentioned was resawing. If you are trying to resaw veneer from foot wide boards, then you better stick with the Laguna. A 14 inch bandsaw with a 1 HP motor can resaw 5 or 6 inches comfortably. IMHO, the riser on a 14 incher is questionable, since you probably won't have enough horsepower to resaw wide planks anyhow.

For curves and rough resawing a 14 incher will do the job just fine.

How is it that a 14" BS can do rough resawing just fine but not veneer? I don't understand how the thickness of the wood you're cutting off matters. Does this have to do with the riser block and the rigidity of the saw frame or the weaker 1 hp motor?

Bruce