PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Holiday Ornament Exchange trade list

Curt Fuller
11-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, this is it, the official trade list for the 2007 Holiday Ornament Exchange. The names were drawn by two completely unbiased but very enthusiastic young ladies, my granddaughters, Audrey and Merrin. Because we ended up with an uneven number I threw my name in twice. The results were then verified by the unscrupulous law firm of Dewey, Cheetem, and Howe and any complaints will go to Helen Waite, who runs their PR department. Other than that it's all pretty self explanatory. Your trade partner is the person on the same line as you, either left or right of your name. Send them a PM (private message) or an email to exchange addresses and get those ornaments in the mail in time to be displayed for the Holiday Season. Also feel free, in fact feel obligated to post a picture of your exchange ornament for all the rest of us to see.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

The 2007 SMC Ornament Exchange

Dennis Kranz, George Morris
Brian Brown, Dave Bonde
John Hart, Nathan Camp
Bonnie Campbell, Rich Stewart
Ted Calver, Ron Erickson
Bob Hallowell, Paul Heely
Andy Hoyt, Leigh Costello
David Fried, Raymond Overman
Rob Bourgeois, Tom Sherman
Andy Hullinger, Dean Thomas
Jon McCoy, Bill Wyko
Skip Spaulding, Shane Whitlock
Ken Fitzgerald, Don Orr
Ben Gastfriend, Dennis Peacock
John Taylor, Curt Fuller
Jason Clark2, John Lanier
Chris Rolke, Bill Noce
Robert McGowen, Kevin McPeek
Jeffery Fusaro, Rex Guinn
Greg Just, Wayne Boian
Bill Blasic, Michael Gallagher
Adam Tracksler, Bobby McCarley
Bill Stevener, Larry Marley
Brian Weick, Earl Reid
Doug M Jones, Rick Apt
Bernie Weishapl, Nancy Laird
Pete Jordan, Curt Fuller

Bill Stevener
11-17-2007, 10:37 PM
OK Curt, this is great.

My ornament to Larry, have a great holiday. Hope you enjoy. Bill.:)

Birdhouse Ornament:
Body - Am. Holly.
Roof & Bot. - spalted Big Leaf Maple Burl.
Final, Acorn & Pirch - Ebony.
Hanger base - ILL. Coffee Bean.
Size - 3"w x 6,5"h
o/a-h - 8.5"

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m109/nicebill/100_1920.jpg

Larry Marley
11-18-2007, 1:22 AM
Thanks Bill,
Very nice! Lucky ME!

Here is yours...

Christmas Bell
Walnut, cherry, curly maple
2 inches wide by 6.5 inches tall

http://marleyturned.com/7962c870.jpg

Larry

John Hart
11-18-2007, 9:21 AM
Ok...Here's mine to Nathan Camp.
I didn't measure it...but it's about 6" long
Figured Cherry, Snakewood, Ebony.....Lacquer O'course. (hic):o

Bonnie Campbell
11-18-2007, 9:36 AM
Here's mine for Rich Stewart. Sorry Rich!

It's 4.5" tall, 1.75" wide. Osage orange and pink ivory.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Crafts/FirstBell.jpg

John Hart
11-18-2007, 9:43 AM
Aw shucks Bonnie...That's really cool!!

I like 'em all so far.

Bill Stevener
11-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Thank You Larry,
The Bell is one Outstanding Ornament, I will cherish it forever.
This is a wonderful event, can't wait to see them all.
Happy Holidays to everyone and "Thank you Curt."

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
11-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Here's mine for Leigh Costello.

The body is Bermuda Cedar (courtesy of John Blanchard) The other stuff is dunnowood. About 7" tall I guess.

David Fried
11-18-2007, 1:13 PM
Wow Andy! And you made two trash cans of shavings turning that??!!
(OK .. it is pretty!)

Ron Erickson
11-18-2007, 3:14 PM
Here is my ornament to Ted Calver . . .
Walnut & Maple
4" x 1 1/2"

Curt Fuller
11-18-2007, 11:36 PM
This is the my ornament for Pete Jordan. It's an inside out from Black Walnut with a small Osage Orange spindle in the center. About 5" x 1 7/8".

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/WalnutOOISO2.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/WalnutOOISO1.jpg

Curt Fuller
11-18-2007, 11:38 PM
This is my ornament for John Taylor. The bell is Tasmanian Blackwood, the handle is African Blackwood. 5" x 1 3/4".

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/TasAfrblackwood.jpg

Pete Jordan
11-19-2007, 8:21 AM
This is the my ornament for Pete Jordan. It's an inside out from Black Walnut with a small Osage Orange spindle in the center. About 5" x 1 7/8".

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/WalnutOOISO2.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/WalnutOOISO1.jpg
Wow Curt!

I already have a special place picked out!

Yours is not done yet but I should have finished this week.

Pete

Rich Stewart
11-19-2007, 2:43 PM
Well, here is mine to Bonnie. After seeing these others, mine kind of looks like a booger. I really had a hard time making one. I never thought it would be that much problems. I have a new-found respect for everyone who turns those tiny, dainty little finials. I broke seven before I finally got this one to stay together.

Bonnie Campbell
11-19-2007, 4:41 PM
It looks good Rich! :) You're getting a bell because I just kept screwing up the birdhouses :rolleyes:

Pete Jordan
11-19-2007, 9:12 PM
My ornament for Curt Fuller. It started out as a bird house but I didn't have the heart to drill into the cherry burl! I guess it is a bird feeder.

Nathan Camp
11-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Here is my ornament for John Hart.

I still need to pick off a piece of glue. Man, these pictures tell way to much.

Nathan

Dennis Peacock
11-20-2007, 8:31 AM
Alright..!!!!! I got Ben Gastfriend!!!!!! I'm excited!!!! :D

I've made two so far, but I just don't like either one. I'll make one fitting to be received by Mr. Ben after the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Glad to have ya as an exchange partner for the Holiday Ornament Exchange. :)

Dennis Peacock
11-20-2007, 8:41 AM
Well, here is mine to Bonnie. After seeing these others, mine kind of looks like a booger. I really had a hard time making one. I never thought it would be that much problems. I have a new-found respect for everyone who turns those tiny, dainty little finials. I broke seven before I finally got this one to stay together.

It's a beautiful piece Rich.!!!!
The trick I've found on turning thin spindles? Is very sharp tools, extremely light cuts, and work support with a finger behind the spinning finial directly in the path of the cut. It's a trick I learned after watching a turning video by Raffan.

Ben Gastfriend
11-20-2007, 5:25 PM
Well Dennis, look if you want to... This won't be the one you'll be recieving. I have to improve on this one, which was only my first ornament. You can see the glue, the finial is too fat, the body wasn't hollowed well, because I had to make do with a forster bit in the tailstock and a small bowl gouge (I don't have fancy hollowing tools), and the finish is not as great as I would have liked.

I'ts a good thing I have a long Thanksgiving weekend off from school to work on it, hopefully I can make something worthy of being recieved by you.:)

Regards- Ben

Bill Wyko
11-20-2007, 6:25 PM
Well I started last night but when I went to trim the ends off and blew it to pieces. I'll try again tonight.:D

Curt Fuller
11-20-2007, 8:22 PM
My ornament for Curt Fuller. It started out as a bird house but I didn't have the heart to drill into the cherry burl! I guess it is a bird feeder.

Man, look at that wood! Can't wait to see it!

Leigh Costello
11-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Wow! Andy, you are tooooo good! My humble offering will have to wait a day or two. My lathe switch broke and with a bit of further misfortune, my attempted ornament decided to fly - with devastating results. :(

And with Thanksgiving right around the corner, well, we women will be a bit sidetracked. For some reason my hubby and family expect food! :eek: I think Charlie Brown dinners are just fine, but they expect the whole meal.

I will try again this weekend. dang dang dang

Andy Hoyt
11-21-2007, 9:32 AM
That's okay Leigh, I plan to be eating tomorrow as well - frequently and excessively.

Shane Whitlock
11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Here's mine for Skip.

Box Elder burl and Cocobolo.
http://www.shanewhitlock.com/photo/d/620-2/IMG_0836.jpg

Brian Weick
11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Talk about being ready- Earl is finished with mine-:eek: I better get moving, I have something I am making that I think Earl will appreciate, hopefully it won't explode on me on my Oliver-:eek:
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you :)
Brian

Greg Just
11-21-2007, 1:08 PM
Shane:

Very nice!

Chris Rolke
11-21-2007, 2:31 PM
here is mine for Bill Noce

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/ornament%20exchange/DSC09063.JPG

sorry its kind of a bad picture

Skip Spaulding
11-21-2007, 2:52 PM
Here is the ornament for Shane. Tried for a natural look except for the cardinal that was probably made in China! (no I didn't turn the bird)
Hope all have a great Thanksgiving and wonderful Christmas or what ever you celebrate.
Skip

Earl Reid
11-21-2007, 10:11 PM
This is the ornament I sent to Brian, (I have had problems
with pics lately)
Earl

Greg Just
11-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Earl:

Looks nice What are the demensions?

Earl Reid
11-22-2007, 7:38 AM
Hi, Greg
It's About 1 1/2" D and about 6" long. I don't generaly measure them, except for fit. After seeing what others have made , I have made over 30 of them and will make several more. we are giving them to relative and friends.
I did sell some last week in a private gallery and was very happy with the outcome:D
Earl

Brian Weick
11-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi, Greg
It's About 1 1/2" D and about 6" long. I don't generaly measure them, except for fit. After seeing what others have made , I have made over 30 of them and will make several more. we are giving them to relative and friends.
I did sell some last week in a private gallery and was very happy with the outcome:D
Earl

Hi Earl,
Yours is coming soon- it may be a little larger, I will post some pictures, thank you very much - God, I love this place!
Brain

David Fried
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Well, having not turned anything for quite awhile I tried a simple ornament - an icicle.

It's Black Walnut and a little over 9" long. Having produced this stylized, pointy stick I was greatly relieved to get matched up with Raymond Overman, a connoisseur of sharp, pointy sticks!:D

It only took three tries :rolleyes:
The first time I started at the ends thinking the extra wood in the middle would make it stronger. Nope - creates more whip and breaks where the thin part meets all that mass.

The second try I used my newly aquired steady rest and got it off the lathe in one piece but it is too short and stocky.

The third time I paused, sharpened all my tools, and filed down the tool rest. Before I knew it I was done and I had forgotten to use the steady rest!

Nothing like light cuts and sharp tools. I'm confident I could get it longer and thinner now but I've developed a strange hankering to do a bird house.:rolleyes:

Thanks - this was fun!

Bill Noce
11-22-2007, 6:02 PM
Here's my ornament for Chris Rolke:

Globe is Smoke Tree......Icicle and Final are Walnut......will be in the mail this weekend.

Bill Wyko
11-23-2007, 2:32 AM
Thanks Bill,
Very nice! Lucky ME!

Here is yours...

Christmas Bell
Walnut, cherry, curly maple
2 inches wide by 6.5 inches tall

http://marleyturned.com/7962c870.jpg

Larry
Larry that's a beauty. Is that the one in your video? Are you the one that sent me your videos? I used your technique to make my ornament for Jon. Thanks for the video. I've got some ideas how to put the methods to use in some other ways too. I'll post pics soon.

Bill Wyko
11-23-2007, 2:35 AM
Jon McCoy. I should be done this weekend. I'm down to finish so I shouldn't break this one.:D

Larry Marley
11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Larry that's a beauty. Is that the one in your video? Are you the one that sent me your videos? I used your technique to make my ornament for Jon. Thanks for the video. I've got some ideas how to put the methods to use in some other ways too. I'll post pics soon.

Hi Bill,
The ornament I'm sending to Bill Stevener is a movie star. I doubt he will see any paparazzi around his Christmas tree though...

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 2:35 PM
Hi Jon. Here's your ornament. Quilted Maple and Wenge. 4 coats of tung oil, 4 coats of laquer. I still need to buff it on the 3 wheel. I'll send it out first of the week. I hope you like it.:D

Brian Weick
11-24-2007, 7:29 PM
It is almost finished! I have 4 more coats of finish to put on and It's completed! I did this in sections and then assembled everything together, pictures are posted from start to finish below. I hope you enjoy it ~:)
Brian

Brian Weick
11-24-2007, 7:32 PM
Some more pictures :)

Brian Weick
11-24-2007, 7:34 PM
some more pictures - all in order ~ :)

Brian Weick
11-24-2007, 7:37 PM
Last pictures of the Candle holder ~ :) Hope you like it Earl !
Brian

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 8:23 PM
That's one beautiful gift. Earl should be very happy. I know I'd be. If you don't mind my asking, what dial indicator did you use? I havent been able to find one here in Tucson.

Brian Weick
11-24-2007, 8:38 PM
Hey Bill, the indicator, or "index" wheel ,as I call it, was made by Fredric's Machinery for me, it is a 18" in diameter, 5 degree increment (locking) made from 1/4" steel plating, It is stamped in degrees write on the index wheel as well ~ . it is awesome Bill- there is so much you can do with it ,between that and the router- its almost like heaven! It ran me around $327.00-. If you need one - he's the "manchinist" ,he does absolutely precision work and I am extremely happy with his workmanship and attention to detail.:D
Have a great weekend Bill-:)
Brian

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 8:52 PM
Did that price include the router degree setup as well? If I'm correct, you move the router incrimentally towards the tail stock as well don't you? I've been wanting to do the spiral effect since the first time I saw one. I really like your work on that piece, good job.

Brian Weick
11-24-2007, 9:00 PM
not to get off the topic but, I feel like an idiot now- "ornament" - Is a candle holder acceptable, I can whip up an ornament but I wanted to do something special since it's my first time ~ it falls in line with the holiday , if it's not acceptable I'll make the ornament , I don't want to ruffle any feathers on here, or upset the administrators.
As far as the router setup being included- no, I constructed that design. i actually scraped the angled housing for the router and have a new housing that i only use the Oliver carriage- much,much,less a pain to align to the center. to start I lock in at 0 and plunge the first hole moving the index wheel every 5 degrees , locked it in, after each lock in i run the router in using the carriage , depth was set for that as well- I only went in a little over half the diameter, then back it out, move the index wheel another 5 degrees and move the router down in 1/8" increments every time, but only when I move the index wheel ` I have got myself in a process and don't deviate from that ` hence- you need some fire starter? -LOL, I learn quickly. I did 4 of them at 45 degree marks, I was going to sand the inside of the leave smooth but i like the tiny step effect it gets on the inside of the helical twist. need any help , let me know~
Brian

Curt Fuller
11-24-2007, 10:00 PM
not to get off the topic but, I feel like an idiot now- "ornament" - Is a candle holder acceptable, I can whip up an ornament but I wanted to do something special since it's my first time ~ it falls in line with the holiday , if it's not acceptable .....

Just remember Brian, the only rule is that there are no rules.;)

Greg Just
11-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Brian:

What is that you made? Looks more like a goblet than an ornament.

It does look really nice.

Greg

Brian Weick
11-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi,
that is a 3" "large" candle holder. The 3" candle is going with it, it is in glass and drops write in the shell ,even with the top rim, and it can be replaced with any standard 3" candle- I am sending Earl a pine scented candle, holiday oriented. :)
Brian

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the info and that's a fine candle holderishgoblet:D no complaints here.:)

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 10:19 PM
:confused:Sorry I'm not much of a photographer.

Bill Stevener
11-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Brian,
I think your candle holder - ornament, is one fine ornament .
What makes an item an ornament. Something that is classic and ornate.
Several years back, a very fancy object was placed on the front of the automobile and was called a hood ornament. :)

Brian Weick
11-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi Brian,
I think your candle holder is one fine ornament.
What makes an item an ornament. Something that is classic and ornate.
Several years back, a very fancy object was placed on the front of the automobile and was called a hood ornament. :)

Yes ,
I just wasn't sure- i see all these tree ornaments on here and very well done, I just thought I made a huge mistake, as far as the hood ornament,
I have one of those on my Mercedes - thanks Bill,
Brian

Earl Reid
11-25-2007, 9:36 AM
Brian' I will be very happy to get your candle holder. It is a beauty, You are very gifted.
Earl:)

Brian Weick
11-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Tested it out- I really like it, going to make one for home. Earl, I will be sending you a Forest scented candle that goes with it- you can get these at any local department store.
I Will be mailing it ti you next week. :)
Brian

Paul Heely
11-25-2007, 4:53 PM
Here is mine for Bob Hallowell.

Body is spalted maple.
Bottom is cocobolo.
Roof is claro walnut.
Perch and top finial are ebony.

Ted Calver
11-25-2007, 10:14 PM
...for Ron Erickson will be heading his way in tomorrows mail.
Spalted holly, spalted maple and ebony. Had a couple of birds looking at it already :)

Ron Erickson
11-26-2007, 8:07 AM
Ted it looks beautiful. I have yet to try a bird house ornament, can't wait.

John Taylor
11-26-2007, 3:40 PM
Well heres mine for Curt, took a bit longer because the LOML had a list for me to do over the weekend but managed to get it done today.

The globe is from Regal Yew and the finials/icikle are ancient bog oak, measures 2" x 6 1/2".

Click for larger picture

john

Larry Marley
11-26-2007, 4:43 PM
... Had a couple of birds looking at it already :)

That was funny!

Bob Hallowell
11-26-2007, 7:02 PM
This is the ornament I am sending Paul Heely.

It is afzelia burl with blackwood. The Pic didn't turn out good and it looks better in person. The picture makes it look like the curves aren't smooth but they are.

Hope you like it Paul,
Bob

Curt Fuller
11-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Well heres mine for Curt, took a bit longer because the LOML had a list for me to do over the weekend but managed to get it done today.

The globe is from Regal Yew and the finials/icikle are ancient bog oak, measures 2" x 6 1/2".

Click for larger picture

john

Wow John, that's a beauty! And Regal Yew and Ancient Bog Oak, there's two woods you won't find kicking around in Utah!

Bill Noce
11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Recieved my ornament today from Chris Rolke, very nice but I got to hold it for about a minute it is now in my wife's collection....lol. She loved the bird said the bird looks better then the ones I use from Pat Catan's. Where do you find birds like that Chris? Thanks again and my wife thanks you. Bill

Jon Lanier
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
You all have some great looking ornaments! And your done! I've got to get going on this or it's going to become a Ground Hog Day's ornament. :rolleyes:

-Jon

Chris Rolke
11-27-2007, 8:15 AM
Recieved my ornament today from Chris Rolke, very nice but I got to hold it for about a minute it is now in my wife's collection....lol. She loved the bird said the bird looks better then the ones I use from Pat Catan's. Where do you find birds like that Chris? Thanks again and my wife thanks you. Bill

i got the birds from craftsetc.com last year

just looked on their site and can not find them again

i will have to look at the packaging and see what more i can find on them

glad that you like it and sorry that it got stolen:)

John Taylor
11-27-2007, 8:30 AM
Wow John, that's a beauty! And Regal Yew and Ancient Bog Oak, there's two woods you won't find kicking around in Utah!

HI Curt, glad you like the look of it.

I thought I would make it from something different, there is a bit of a story and history attached to the wood I used, all will be explained in a letter that is packed with the ornament. It will be in the post tomorrow.

john

Brian Brown
11-27-2007, 3:27 PM
Well. Here are the pictures of our ornaments. Obviously, I got the better end of the deal.:) dave got the short end of the stick.:( he asked me to take pictures of both, so here they are.

Brian

Dave's Ornament

Brian's Ornament

Raymond Overman
11-27-2007, 3:59 PM
Well, having not turned anything for quite awhile I tried a simple ornament - an icicle.

It's Black Walnut and a little over 9" long. Having produced this stylized, pointy stick I was greatly relieved to get matched up with Raymond Overman, a connoisseur of sharp, pointy sticks!:D

It only took three tries :rolleyes:

Thanks David. I've finally gotten out from under Thanksgiving and hope to get yours to you soon. I've got an icicle idea that I think will be a lot of fun.

Brian Brown
11-27-2007, 5:57 PM
I forgot Dave Bonde's display stand. Sorry!

Brian

Dave Bonde
11-27-2007, 6:46 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Brown;704344]Well. Here are the pictures of our ornaments. Obviously, I got the better end of the deal.:) dave got the short end of the stick.:(

Not at all Brian your ornament looks fantastic! I can't wait to see it in person.

PS - I am sending all my projects to you to photograph. I usually use the excuse "it looks better than the photo" cant use it this time:D
Thanks for taking the pictures. and for a great ornament
Dave

Chris Rolke
11-27-2007, 7:47 PM
got mine from Bill Noce

absolutely beautiful

in fact it made me get up off my butt and do some turning tonight

thanks

Larry Marley
11-28-2007, 2:30 PM
Well Bill Stevener,
I finally got your ornament in the mail!
I received yours when I returned home from Thanksgiving in Oregon and it is Beautiful!!!
Even better than the picture.
Thanks so much for putting that kind of effort into this exchange.

Larry

Pete Jordan
11-28-2007, 4:05 PM
Thank you Curt!

I received your ornament today and it is wonderful!

I do have a question though. Did Utah secede from the union again? The package said it went through customs!

Bill Wyko
11-28-2007, 4:17 PM
Does anyone know Jon McCoy? I've tried to PM him and e-mail him and I haven't got a response. He's only posted 7 times so I wanted to be sure he's still around. I have his ornament ready to ship.

John Hart
11-28-2007, 4:23 PM
Finally got mine shipped off to Nathan Camp today. My daughter called to inform me that I got a package today. Woulda gotten it yesterday, 'cept a dog chased the mailman away.....and it wasn't even my dog! :D

Tom Sherman
11-28-2007, 4:41 PM
I just finished turning Rob Bourgeois ornament have to get a finish on it and try to post pictures tonight. I am looking a knee surgery tomorrow and don't know how long I will be off my feet. Lots to do.

Bill Wyko
11-28-2007, 5:04 PM
Tom, if it makes you feel any better, my father had knee surgery and they had him up and runnin in a couple days. It made him a new man @ 80 years old.:)

Tom Sherman
11-28-2007, 5:22 PM
Thanks Bill I am looking forward to getting this over with been dealing with it for almost 2 years, and it has not improved. Hope it goes as quick with me.

John Taylor
11-28-2007, 5:31 PM
HI Tom

Are you having a new knee or just a service on the old one, had several services over the years and new knees a few years ago there great good luck.

john

Rob Bourgeois
11-28-2007, 7:53 PM
I just finished turning Rob Bourgeois ornament have to get a finish on it and try to post pictures tonight. I am looking a knee surgery tomorrow and don't know how long I will be off my feet. Lots to do.

Same for me..taking pictures now and mailing tomorrow.

Pete Jordan
11-28-2007, 8:08 PM
Thanks Bill I am looking forward to getting this over with been dealing with it for almost 2 years, and it has not improved. Hope it goes as quick with me.

I'm not sure what you are having done but I have each of my knees scoped the last two years and you will be up in no time. They do amazing things these days. Good Luck!

dennis kranz
11-28-2007, 9:11 PM
For George Morris. Heres hoping you like it. I know most of you who make these use differant woods for top and bottem. I have made some that way to, but this just looked good to me and the LOML.

Dennis

Tom Sherman
11-28-2007, 11:51 PM
As promised here is a picture of the ornament that will go to Rob. Made of Maple (one piece) turned out a little heaver than I would have liked but all in all I am pleased with it.

John Taylor
11-29-2007, 10:17 AM
I've just got back from posting my ornament for Curt and there was a parcel waiting for me.

All I can say is WOW it is much nicer than the photo and complete with a clapper as well, thank you Curt.

john

John Hart
11-29-2007, 10:32 AM
I got home last night and opened my package that arrived from Nathan Camp. He packaged it wonderfully, included a great letter (that I will keep), and the ornament is just beautiful....more so than the picture.

Then...I started feeling bad, because I sent a clunky old second-hand box, with a handwritten note...all wrapped in bubblewrap and shredded paper. Sheesh....what a slob I am.:o

Thank you Nathan!:D

Sorry Nathan.:o

Bill Blasic
11-29-2007, 1:47 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=76158&d=1196361227Here is Michael Gallagher's ornament, Cherry Burl and Holly.

Ron Erickson
11-29-2007, 6:15 PM
I just received my bird house ornament from Ted Calver and it is just BEUTIFUL, a great finish and so lite weight. Thank you so much Ted.

Bobby McCarley
11-29-2007, 6:42 PM
Well, I got my ornament done for the exchange, just waiting to hear from my exchange partner so I can mail it to him. Sent a PM but have'nt heard from him yet. I'll post a picture when I hear back from him.

Bobby
Louisiana

Rob Bourgeois
11-29-2007, 7:22 PM
Here is my ornament just mailed it today. Tom I hope you like it

Red cedar body and a spalted maple "cap". I like the more "traditional" forms of ornaments without a lot of icicles. Its a wee bit heavy since I just dont have the guts to hollow to thin thin walls. This is only my second ornament...I had a hard time sending it to you. :)

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/8703/img1487ao7.th.jpg (http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1487ao7.jpg)

Nathan Camp
11-29-2007, 7:25 PM
I got home last night and opened my package that arrived from Nathan Camp. He packaged it wonderfully, included a great letter (that I will keep), and the ornament is just beautiful....more so than the picture.

John,

I'm glad the ornament arrived in good condition. I had the box laying around. Actually had a tin full of 12 gauge shells sitting in it (I wondered where they had gotten off to btw:confused:).

Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the Creek.

Nathan

Jon Lanier
11-29-2007, 9:51 PM
AARRRRRRGGGGH!

I just blew out my ornament. Gotta start over. :mad:

michael gallagher
11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
AARRRRRRGGGGH!

I just blew out my ornament. Gotta start over. :mad:

I'm on #4 b/c of the same unique characteristic of the wood.....

Raymond Overman
11-29-2007, 11:43 PM
David Fried, I sure do hope you have a big tree this year. This thing was a bear to turn but I finally finished it up tonight. I didn't have a place to hang it around here in SC so I took the next flight and headed half way around the world to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where I greased the right palms so I could display it hanging between the Petronas Towers. The camera didn't pick up the fishing line that I used to hang it very well.

Now I'm back in the states and will be sending this on to you. I hope you have a loading dock and room for a tractor trailer truck to back up to the house. It'll be sent tomorrow. Hope you like it and thanks for participating.

Holly & Ironwood
Finished with Lacquer

Bill Wyko
11-30-2007, 6:50 PM
Nice touch Raymond:D

Ted Calver
11-30-2007, 7:58 PM
...the effort that goes into this exchange, and not just the ornaments. Several folks have mentioned how well their ornaments were packed to survive the rigors of the USPS. I was really impressed with the package that Ron Erickson sent me (post # 10 in this thread) and thought I'd share...(After this I felt bad sending mine out inside an old carpet tube)

Tom Sherman
11-30-2007, 8:37 PM
Rob It looks great can't wait to see it first hand. Will get yours in mail hopefully tomorrow. My knee surgery went well but mobility is a problem Doc says we have to treat this like a break and I'll be mobility challenged for six weeks.

Nathan Camp
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I just got my ornament from John Hart. It came Friday, but I left early and did not get it until today. It is absolutely incredible. Thank you so much John.

Nathan Camp

John Hart
12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Glad it made it in one piece Nathan. Merry Christmas! :)

Bill Wyko
12-05-2007, 3:28 PM
Just letting Jon know his ornament is on its way. Sorry it took so long to get out. I also appologize, it's comming with no frills. I'm just very busy this time of year. I hope you enjoy.

Dave Bonde
12-06-2007, 2:40 PM
I received my ornament from Brian Brown (see post 68 for picture), he did a great job and it is really nice. This was a fun project (thanks Curt) and I have enjoyed seeing all the ornaments that have been posted so far. Great job everyone! Dave

Tom Sherman
12-06-2007, 3:09 PM
I thought I had posted about receiving Rob's ornament but it appears that I haven't. I received it Saturday it is just beautiful, Rob I appreciate your sacrifice, I would have had trouble sending it too.

Rob Bourgeois
12-06-2007, 7:05 PM
I thought I had posted about receiving Rob's ornament but it appears that I haven't. I received it Saturday it is just beautiful, Rob I appreciate your sacrifice, I would have had trouble sending it too.

Glad you got it Tom. Like I said...it was my second one and hard to let go of. :)

George Morris
12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Dennis got it it is beautiful, now I have to make some of yours for SWMBO. Thanks again and this was a great idea!!! George

Bill Stevener
12-07-2007, 1:27 PM
Hi Larry, I have been away for the past week and just arrived back home yesterday. In the mail was your wonderful bell, it is indeed gorgeous. I hope everyone is as happy as I am with the ornament exchange and hope we can do the same nest year.
If you have not had a chance to see Larry's videos, including the one of the bell I received, I will attempt to attach a link. I am sure you will enjoy it, I sure did and am happy to have it. One of a kind.
Thank You Larry and Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas to all. :)

http://marleyturned.com/index.asp

Rob Bourgeois
12-07-2007, 8:35 PM

Got your ornament..it looks great on the tree. I will give your hint a try tomorrow or Sunday.

Kevin McPeek
12-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Here's mine for Robert McGowen. It's Mesquite and Box Elder burl, with a walnut perch. Sorry if the pic won't work. iPhoto can't resize the pic and I'm still looking for a way to do it for free on the mac.
Edited to add pic. Sorry the pic is soo bad, really the ornament isn't so bad.

Tom Sherman
12-08-2007, 2:12 PM
Got your ornament..it looks great on the tree. I will give your hint a try tomorrow or Sunday.

Glad to hear it Rob Merry Christmas to all.

Ben Gastfriend
12-08-2007, 4:58 PM
The picture looks fine to me. At least it's better than what I can do.

Ben Gastfriend
12-08-2007, 5:08 PM
Here's mine for Dennis Peacock

(It looks better in person than in the picture. Really got to work on that. If anyone has cheap suggestions on how to get a better picure with a 5 megapixel kodak, they're welcome!

Hope it gets there OK.

Dave Bonde
12-08-2007, 5:26 PM
[QUOTE=Ben Gastfriend;713434]Here's mine for Dennis Peacock

(It looks better in person than in the picture. Really got to work on that. If anyone has cheap suggestions on how to get a better picure with a 5 megapixel kodak, they're welcome!

That is a great ornament Ben, if you can turn that at age 13 and you keep turning by the time you are the age of most of us we will be viewing your work in books and galleries. Keep it up. On the photos if you haven’t read Brian Brown’s photo tips posts here at SMC do a search for them. There is a lot of good information on taking pictures of your work. Dave

Bonnie Campbell
12-08-2007, 5:31 PM
Got my ornament from Rich today (post #14) Wow! it's a really beauty :) And he even carved the lil perch! He also sent me a couple other nice things :eek: a lil vase and a really cool looking bowl :D

Thanks so much Rich! Merry Christmas to you and your wife!!!!!

Paul Heely
12-08-2007, 7:27 PM
Here's mine for Dennis Peacock

Hope it gets there OK.

Ben you might want to check out the frugal photo studio writeup by Jamie Donaldson. I've had good results with my setup. Nice ornament, I'm sure Dennis will enjoy it.

Here's a thread from the creek.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=621288

Jamie Donaldson's page.
http://www.jamiedonaldsonwoodturner.com/techniques.html

Curt Fuller
12-09-2007, 11:45 PM
I was fortunate to be on the receiving end of two ornaments in this exchange. I received my first ornament a few weeks ago from Pete Jordan. Not only did I get a beautiful cherry burl ornament but he also sent a nice hunk of cherry burl and a nice hunk of oak burl. That cherry burl has some of the most unique color I've ever seen in a burl. I can't wait to get a chance to turn something from both of them. Thanks again Pete!

Yesterday I received my second ornament, all the way from England, from John Taylor. Along with it was a short history of the origins of the wood in the ornament. It's made from 5000 year old Bog Oak that came from a farm field near his home and from Regal Yew which was salvaged from a storm damaged tree at the church of St Mary Magdalene on the Sandringham Estate, a country retreat of the Queen and Royal Family. The ornament is beautiful and knowing the history behind the wood makes it very special to me. Thank you John!

I'm not sure whether turning brings out the best in people or if nice people just happen to turn wood but turners are some of the nicest people I've ever known!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

adam tracksler
12-10-2007, 2:09 PM
Mine from Bobby.

http://www.brycecreative.com/clients/bob.jpg

adam tracksler
12-10-2007, 2:10 PM
and mine to bobby.

Black and white ebony. My first multi axis turning.

http://www.brycecreative.com/clients/mine.jpg

Ben Gastfriend
12-10-2007, 4:04 PM
I'm not sure whether turning brings out the best in people or if nice people just happen to turn wood but turners are some of the nicest people I've ever known!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Why, of course turners are some of the nicest people! Who else would slave over a bowl for a couple hours only to get a 1/4 inch thickness bowl and 3 trashcans full of woodshavings that you can hope to do nothing with.:eek:

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2007, 11:08 PM
I was on a mission for Christmas tree ornament "parts". I have two different ones in mind......One for a backup and the 2nd more complex. I got what I needed........drove 60 miles......

Don........You'll have one coming no later than next week.

Christmas ornaments will be the first projects off Melba.

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I got a BEAUTIFUL ornament via USPS today!!!! Thank You Ben!!!!!!! :D :D
The LOML already has it hanging in our Christmas tree. ;)

You did a really nice job and yours is going out to you. The wife wanted to wait and make a single visit to the post office to ship all the boxes at once. So I'm later in shipping to you than I stated before. I'll post a pic tonight of it. :o

Ben Gastfriend
12-12-2007, 4:30 PM
I'm glad you liked it and it got there safely. Can't wait to see what MASTERPIECE I'll be recieving! Happy Holidays...

~Ben

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
OK....No laughing now. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/surrender.gif

I went through making 5 ornaments before I did one worthy enough to send to my friend Ben Gastfriend. Needless to say that I spent some long hours trying to figure out how to make these things. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/couch1.gif

6" tall by 1-1/2" wide at the widest point and the bottom finial is 1/4" at the widest part. Finish is Antique Oil, Super Blonde Shellac, and topped with Deft Gloss Lacquer.
The wood was given to me by Joe Meazle on a trip he made to South America and I'd been saving it for just such an occassion as this. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/youngsanta.gif So here it is Ben...South American Mahogany body with the a Hackberry bottom finial/icicle.

I hope you like it.....And MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

John Hart
12-13-2007, 10:32 AM
OK....No laughing now. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/surrender.gif

http://truetotru.com/images/smiles/Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

...sorry...just kidding:D

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
http://truetotru.com/images/smiles/Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

...sorry...just kidding:D

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/sad26.gif
There's gotta be one in every crowd.

Thanks for the smile this morning John!!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/sad26.gif
There's gotta be one in every crowd.

Thanks for the smile this morning John!!! :D

Yup...it's old age Dennis......You forgot John was back!:D

Earl Reid
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM
When we got home today, we found a box on the porch. It contained the candle holder made by Brian weick. It is beautiful:), My wife loves it. Many thanks Brian. PS It was very well packaged, it took 20 mins toget it unwraped:D
Earl and Barbara.

Greg Just
12-13-2007, 10:33 PM
My ornament for Wayne Boian. It is made from maple and walnut. it's about 2 inches wide and about 4 inches high. Not my best, but I had a hard time working with small pieces.

Happy Holidays Wayne!

Brian Weick
12-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Earl & Barbara,
I'm glad it arrived in one peice I was worried about it breaking - hence the 20 min unwrapping job- :D sorry. Your ornament is hanging for everyone to admire and it gets plenty of compliments Earl- Thank you and Merry Christmas Earl- :)
Brian

Robert McGowen
12-15-2007, 8:42 PM
I received my ornament from Kevin McPeek and saw where he posted a photo of it a few posts earlier. The photo really does not do it justice. It is absolutely nice. I just know that I probably cannot show my face anywhere in Arizona after this exchange. After doing segments and larger bowls, I found there really is a different touch involved doing something like an ornament.
And Kevin, my first two attempts were so bad that I gave them to my in-laws! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Kevin McPeek
12-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Robert, I received yours a few days ago but haven't had a chance to take a pic of it yet to post here. I think it is just great. My wife does also, so much that she looked at it and said, why don't you make them like that. Now I have to figure out how to do the off center part of the top.

Dennis Peacock
12-16-2007, 6:31 AM
Ben,

Yours has been shipped priority mail. :D

Don Orr
12-16-2007, 7:13 PM
I finally got my ornament for Ken Fitzgerald done. The top is birdseye maple, the globe is burl maple, and the bottom icicle is straight grain maple. It will go in the mail tomorrow if I can get to the Post Office. We had about 8" of snow overnight. I got the drive way cleared out and then it started to RAIN! What a mess. I'm sure things will be open and running tomorrow though.

Not the greatest picture, sorry.

Greg Just
12-16-2007, 7:25 PM
Don - nice job - how did you do the red lines?

Doug M Jones
12-17-2007, 8:01 AM
I hope this makes it by Christmas, it will be going out today. This is my ornament for Rick Apt. I really wanted to expand my horizons by doing one of the classic globe and icicle ornaments but my inexperience or lack of proper tools (probably both) caused 4 globes to explode so I went with the classic birdhouse. I know the picture sucks but I've asked Santa for a photo booth. the body is bloodwood and the roof is tulipwood.

Merry Christmas Rick.

Don Orr
12-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I just used a Prismacolor marker and did it by hand.

Ken's box seemed kind of empty and light so there may be something extra inside-but don't tell him OK.;);)

Ben Gastfriend
12-17-2007, 3:07 PM
Dennis-

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The ornament is BEAUTIFUL! The wood you used for the ball is beautiful (not to mention the thinness of the finial)

Did you do this dainty thing on the PM?

P.S. Thank you for the lovely bowl... the glass one we have holding candy has already been replaced by this maple one! I'll be sure to send you a HF once I get my home-made hollowing rig set up... might be a while:)

Thanks again!

Ben

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2007, 5:36 PM
Dennis-
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
The ornament is BEAUTIFUL! The wood you used for the ball is beautiful (not to mention the thinness of the finial)

Did you do this dainty thing on the PM?

P.S. Thank you for the lovely bowl... the glass one we have holding candy has already been replaced by this maple one! I'll be sure to send you a HF once I get my home-made hollowing rig set up... might be a while:)

Thanks again!
Ben

Merry Christmas Ben.!!!!!

I wanted to surprise you with a bowl in addition to the ornament. :D

Sometimes, I just can't leave well enough alone. :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Here's my ornament for Don Orr. This is the first completed project off the new PM3520B. There were 3 other attempts that got trashed after not being satisfied with the results. Then I decided I needed to think outside the box......then I thought......NO......I need to think like I'm making a box....a lidded box.....Bingo! For all you folks wondering can you do small things on a big lathe ...........You can......and what I'd heard here was true...You can do small things on a big lathe..

Don....I'll try to get this out tomorrow work allowing.........

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2007, 1:26 AM
Here's my ornament for Don Orr. This is the first completed project off the new PM3520B. There were 3 other attempts that got trashed after not being satisfied with the results. Then I decided I needed to think outside the box......then I thought......NO......I need to think like I'm making a box....a lidded box.....Bingo! For all you folks wondering can you do small things on a big lathe ...........You can......and what I'd heard here was true...You can do small things on a big lathe..

Don....I'll try to get this out tomorrow work allowing.........

Looks really good my friend. :D

So how's the new mustard doing? How are you liking it?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2007, 1:44 AM
Dennis......This was actually the 4th of these I'd made. I wasn't satisfied with the forms of the 1st 3 I made. Sharon saw this one.....they are having an ornament exchange at school on Friday.....She commissioned another one. So I've actually made 5 so far. I love the PM. It's more powerful...smoother ....quieter.....and the VS.....I'm extremely happy with it. Sharon is getting her Christmas present early this year. Friday she flies out to Portland to spend 3 days with our daughter, granddaughter and spouse and great grandson. Sunday is little Nicholas's 1st birthday and she casually mentioned a couple of weeks ago she was sorry she wasn't going to be there for his first birthday. I bought her plane tickets as she won't drive the 300 miles of mountains, mountain passes and the Colombia River Gorge in the winter. I happen to have some large pieces of maple burl that look like they'd make NEs.....this weekend...she's gone....I'm alone....bored....Let's see...do I go to a bar...pickup up another woman?.....Nope....I grab a piece of burl and see what's inside. Besides...Monday we celebrate our 39th anniversary!

Brian Weick
12-18-2007, 9:55 AM
Dennis......This was actually the 4th of these I'd made. I wasn't satisfied with the forms of the 1st 3 I made. Sharon saw this one.....they are having an ornament exchange at school on Friday.....She commissioned another one. So I've actually made 5 so far. I love the PM. It's more powerful...smoother ....quieter.....and the VS.....I'm extremely happy with it. Sharon is getting her Christmas present early this year. Friday she flies out to Portland to spend 3 days with our daughter, granddaughter and spouse and great grandson. Sunday is little Nicholas's 1st birthday and she casually mentioned a couple of weeks ago she was sorry she wasn't going to be there for his first birthday. I bought her plane tickets as she won't drive the 300 miles of mountains, mountain passes and the Colombia River Gorge in the winter. I happen to have some large pieces of maple burl that look like they'd make NEs.....this weekend...she's gone....I'm alone....bored....Let's see...do I go to a bar...pickup up another woman?.....Nope....I grab a piece of burl and see what's inside. Besides...Monday we celebrate our 39th anniversary!

2 things- first of all Nice ornament - looks great and I think you did a great job on that! second- congratulations on #39 - thats a major accomplishment as well-:)
Brian

John Hart
12-18-2007, 12:11 PM
.... Besides...Monday we celebrate our 39th anniversary!

You two got married on Christmas eve?

That is too cool.;):)

Don Orr
12-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I can't wait ! I feel honored to be receiving the first project from the new lathe.

Congrats on the anniversary Ken and give that machine a good workout this weekend.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2007, 4:33 PM
Congrats on your anniversary Ken. The wife and I have our 40th on the 12/30.

Dean Thomas
12-18-2007, 5:20 PM
Posting the pair of ornaments from the Andy H & Dean T exchange.

Andy said about his ornament, "I'm sending you "Swirling Snowflakes". Had this idea for a while and just now feel like it's getting somewhere. chatterwork (pun intended) Ginkgo, Ebony and Sterling Silver (stole this idea from a friend who makes jewelry)". Seemed very appropriate as it was raining ICE in Kansas City at the time. He also thought I might be tired of icicles. :)

My ornament for Andy is from a piece of spalted maple that I've been hording and biting my lip over for most of 20 years. This was just exactly the occasion for it. I made a flock of 4 birdhouses from the spalted end of that wood. This one was picked for Andy because it did not need to have a bird glued on the perch. If you look at the spalting, you can see the outline of a flying parrot! It's so cool when that kind of stuff happens. The lid is local walnut and the perch and finial are padauk.

Merry Christmas one and all!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g101/DeanGThomas/WoodStuff/snowflakes_ah2007.jpg http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g101/DeanGThomas/WoodStuff/Birdhouses01a.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2007, 5:46 PM
Dean.....very, very nice!

Don....check the box for extras!

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-19-2007, 9:03 AM
here is my christmas ornament for my kentucky neighbor, rex guinn.

the body is box elder and the cap and finial are african blackwood with a rennaissance wax finish.

approximately 2-1/4" in diameter and 4" long.

it will be going in the mail at lunch time today.

merry christmas, rex!

Bill Wyko
12-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I got my ornament from Jon McCoy. Very nice bird house. Nice Job Jon. You should post more often. Don't forget to Member up.:D

Rex Guinn
12-19-2007, 3:50 PM
I have been trying a bunch of designs, but did not like any of them. This one seems to be one of the better ones. It's about 3"x1 1/4. Cherry top and Hackberry bottom.77510

Andy Hullinger
12-19-2007, 9:46 PM
Dean,
Wonderful ornament! I really like the curves and the wood selection is beautiful. Our tree has the perfect spot for it right up front.:)

Thanks so much! and thanks to all the "creekers" for the inspiring examples.
-Andy Hullinger

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2007, 4:50 PM
Don,

I came home to use my cablemodem. I got your box. I don't have time to post photos........You are way too generous!

Folks....inside that box was 3 ornaments not 1......some turning wood and a mini-hollower if I'm correct.

I've got a Jamieson and infact, my generous MIL gave me a nice premature Christmas gift and my new Jamieson secondary tool rest(to fit the PM) and new 1" x 6" post for my Sorby modular tool rest showed up last night.

I'm between battles at work but will post photos later.

Don........thank you! You are way too generous!

Don Orr
12-20-2007, 7:55 PM
You were very generous yourself ! A lovely birdhouse and some very cool Texas black wood. Thank you!

The box just seemed kind of empty and light so I threw in a bunch of extra stuff. Why not for Flat Rate! I hope you enjoy the ornaments. The 2 little ones are kind of a "Mr. & Mrs." Ken for your anniversary. I made the hollowing tool by silver brazing a HSS bit to a mild steel bar like Bob Rosand does. The wood is a do-it-yourself-ornament kit ! Have fun and have a wonderful Holiday Season !

Don

P.S.-I got a big kick out of the box you used. I've seen a lot of those GE Medical System boxes myself at work !

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2007, 8:04 PM
I was looking for something large enough to allow padding and I found that in my office here at home.

Don....a quick question. I have large hands and would like to put a handle on that tool. How far out of the handle would you extend the tool? I can't wait to try it. I had plans of turning this weekend but a problem came up on one of the MRs....guess where I'm spending my weekend?

Don Orr
12-20-2007, 8:06 PM
That'll do nicely Rex. Especially for your first ! Multi axis work, fluting on the bottom part-outstanding-really !

Don Orr
12-20-2007, 8:09 PM
The one I use sticks out about 6" or so. The cutter may be a little long and can torque a bit if you're not careful. It will get ground down as you sharpen it. I think there may be more info at Bob Rosand's site if you google his name. I drill a 1/4 " hole and set it fairly deep in the handle, but these are not meant for heavy cutting. Enjoy!

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-21-2007, 9:10 AM
I have been trying a bunch of designs, but did not like any of them. This one seems to be one of the better ones. It's about 3"x1 1/4. Cherry top and Hackberry bottom.77510

got my ornament from rex yesterday afternoon, and promptly hung it on the tree.

it looks great!

thanks rex!

merry christmas!

Paul Heely
12-22-2007, 4:33 PM
Got my ornament from Bob today. Its wonderful. Thanks. Merry Christmas.

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2007, 4:49 PM
Great and generous bunch of turners we have here...!!!!

I think we need to do this again next year. ;)

Tom Sherman
12-22-2007, 5:02 PM
I agree with you Dennis I am in.

Ben Gastfriend
12-22-2007, 7:12 PM
I'd have to agree also. Oh... and we shouldn't worry about having people not get the same person... because I got Dennis Peacock!:D

Anyway, I'm in for '08!

Bill Stevener
12-22-2007, 8:16 PM
Great and generous bunch of turners we have here...!!!!

I think we need to do this again next year. ;)

For the most part, I will have to agree with you Dennis.
I look at it this way, I was most fortunate to have had a trading partner, as were others, that was kind, dedicated and in the joy of things, to fulfill there obligation and commitment to complete and forward an ornament to a trading partner.

I have, with great interest, followed this wonderful idea that Curt presented some time back.

Lets take a look!

53 turners +1 by Curt = 54 committed to the idea, and said they would love to be a part of the program.

To date 43 turners have responded and displayed there ornament.

Of the 43 turners noted above, 9 have not had any replies from there trading partner.

12 turners of the 54, did not have the respect to even respond, never the less try and make an ornament.

2 turners responded in some fashion, however still no ornament.

Curt, thank you for your time and a wonderful idea.
Larry, thank you for being a turner, I love the bell.

For those of you that committed to this wonderful idea, continue to post hear at SMC every day, and not live up to your part, or at least respond in some way, I don't think I wish to participate in another program of this nature, as I might get YOU as a trading partner.

Just the way I see it.

Bonnie Campbell
12-22-2007, 8:31 PM
Darn, wish I'd of asked if there were any 'no shows' I'd of tried doing up another.

Earl Reid
12-22-2007, 8:52 PM
I hope we can do it again. It started quite a thing with me. I ended up making about 100 ornaments that were sent all over the country to family and friends, they were well recieved It was a lot of fun. I will try to post pics of some of them. I want to thank all the guys that posted pics, they, helped a lot.
I was also able to make a bunch of toys that were given to Toys for Tots. And I also won 2nd place with ornaments at Eagle America's annual contest ($50 gift certificate):)

Merry Christmas to everyone
Barbara and Earl

Raymond Overman
12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
For those of you that committed to this wonderful idea, continue to post hear at SMC every day, and not live up to your part, or at least respond in some way, I don't think I wish to participate in another program of this nature, as I might get YOU as a trading partner.

Just the way I see it.

Well Bill here's my response, I don't know if I was in your statistics or not but my ornament was sent and should be received either today or at the latest Monday. I've yet to receive mine either but I'm fine with that since it's the giving that matters.

Just a note from experience with the Internet in general, if you got into this expecting other people to play by your rules and do things on your schedule, you're fighting an uphill battle and should quit while you're ahead.

Again, mine is on the way. Sorry David but it's in the post if it's not there by now.

Dean Thomas
12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Andy's ornament arrived yesterday and he should have mine either today or on Monday, depending on USPS service right now.

It's truly a shame that some folks did not keep their promise to trade. Any way to connect the disappointed ones who actually responded and still provide them with partners? I would be happy to make an extra (in different wood, though) to fill out the 9 to 10.

Just let me know. I'd be pleased to adopt someone or to trade again with someone else. And I'd bet there are some other volunteers out there who'd make good on the other people's promises.

Doug M Jones
12-22-2007, 11:11 PM
SCORE :p

Rick Apt was my trading partner and although he didn't post a picture, he sent me a very nice ornament with a lot of figure in the wood and superb finish. Inside the package was a jar of homemade purple raspberry jam....sweet. I'm sure I came out on the winning end of the deal. It was a lot of fun.

I'm surprised at Bill's post below. Unless he's privy to all PMs he can't possibly know who was contacted or not. I'm not aware of Rick posting anything after the agreement to participate but he was prompt with a PM so that we could exchange addresses and sent a great ornament. Some of us beginners may be a little hesitant to post a picture of our efforts. Some may have attempted or are still attempting to complete their ornament and there are probably a few that won't. I just don't know that the posts support the statistics posted.

I enjoyed making something for someone I had only "talked" to over the internet and 1/2 a country away. The fun was in planning something for someone else, getting mine was great but it was secondary to the giving.

I would certainly participate again.

Merry Christmas to all,

Doug

Bill Noce
12-22-2007, 11:17 PM
It's truly a shame that some folks did not keep their promise to trade. Any way to connect the disappointed ones who actually responded and still provide them with partners? I would be happy to make an extra (in different wood, though) to fill out the 9 to 10.

Just let me know. I'd be pleased to adopt someone or to trade again with someone else. And I'd bet there are some other volunteers out there who'd make good on the other people's promises.

I"ll go along with you on that Dean, I'd would be glad to adopt someone too. This is a great thing to do this Ornament exchange ............Let me know..........

Nancy Laird
12-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Although mine was very late, my ornament for Bernie is going into the mail on Monday morning. It won't make it by Christmas, but he knows it's coming. I got his yesterday. It may have been late, but I kept my obligation in this exchange and I can tell you that I get the better deal!!!

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2007, 12:17 AM
If the need arises....I"ll adopt someone too!

I know for me it was tough to find time to turn one. I got a call from Oneida Friday morning as I was climbing out of the shower asking how my 2.5 hp Super Dust Gorilla was doing. I responded by saying it was really quiet as I hadn't removed it from the boxes yet. I did manage to meet my commitment but my job sometimes makes it difficult. We had a 4 day weekend Thanksgiving weekend. I worked 3 of them.

This weekend....well.....today I worked.....and tomorrow I'll be working on a superconductive magnet trying to cool it down.

tim mathis
12-23-2007, 12:19 AM
hi, i did not sign on this year but after seeing the ones posted , i have made a bunch of them and they are addicting ( I LOVE THE LITTLE BIRDS ON THE BIRD HOUSES). so i will be looking forward to next christmas and i will sign on.(maybe by then i will figure out how to post pictures) MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE
tim in centerville, ohio

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2007, 11:41 AM
A fine wine takes time; so I'm content to wait.

Besides, a Christmas present in April seems kinda cool.

Curt Fuller
12-23-2007, 11:50 AM
It's getting pretty close to Christmas and about time to wind this thing down. I wanted to say thanks to everyone that participated and wish all of you a Happy Holiday Season.

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-23-2007, 12:06 PM
curt--

thanks, again for putting this idea out there.

it was fun making christmas ornaments for the first time.

it's also been fun watching this thread develop. seems like a lot of folks have had the chance to develop another friendship, in the process. and, that's what it's all about.

good job in 'building community'.

you da man!

Bill Blasic
12-24-2007, 7:30 AM
I received a very nice bird house ornament from Michael Gallagher last week, sorry for not posting sooner.