PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have one tool......

Donnie Raines
02-13-2004, 12:22 PM
......which one would you pick?

I was reading an old issue of Popular Woodworking last night and found myself intrigued with article about American woodworkers VS. European woodworkers. It was not a "who's better then the other" article. But, more of a why american's build their shop around the table saw , while the Europeans the band saw. It went into some detail as to why this is, but nothing that would sway me over to the "band saw is the heart of the shop" concept.

So.....if you could only have one tool(any tool...not just bandsaw or tablesaw).....what would it be.......and of coarse...why?

DonnieR

Dennis McDonaugh
02-13-2004, 1:45 PM
That's an interesting question because I'll bet a lot more people have a $1500 tablesaw than have a $1500 bandsaw. You're really not comparing apples to apples if you compare a Unisaw to a Delta 14" bandsaw.

Still, I'd pick my Jet Cabinet saw saw over my MM16 because its what I'm used to. I use it a lot more than the bandsaw even though I'm sure I could get used to doing things different ways.

My tablesaw blade stays sharper a lot longer than my bandsaw blades too.

Michael Ballent
02-13-2004, 2:05 PM
I would choose a Felder Combo machine :D Was that cheating ;)

-Michael

Ralph Laughton
02-13-2004, 2:06 PM
SPACE! Talking from this side of the pond. Space is a big issue here, most UK woodworkers seem to work out of sheds and garages. The bandsaw takes up far less room.

Me, I love my shed workshop. lots of handtool work - it's 6ft x 8ft - try fitting a ST in there ;)

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-13-2004, 2:10 PM
Donnie
A Crosscut Miter Saw
D :rolleyes:

Donnie Raines
02-13-2004, 2:18 PM
I would choose a Felder Combo machine :D Was that cheating ;)

-Michael
I was waiting for that one......ME TOO!!!! :D :D

DonnieR

Dan Bussiere
02-13-2004, 2:25 PM
I have a hard enough time making something worth keeping with a shop full of tools. I guess if I HAD TO, I would pick my skill saw. I got by for years when it was the only saw I had. Sure would hate to return to those days though.
Dan

Wolf Kiessling
02-13-2004, 3:06 PM
......which one would you pick?

I was reading an old issue of Popular Woodworking last night and found myself intrigued with article about American woodworkers VS. European woodworkers. It was not a "who's better then the other" article. But, more of a why american's build their shop around the table saw , while the Europeans the band saw. It went into some detail as to why this is, but nothing that would sway me over to the "band saw is the heart of the shop" concept.

So.....if you could only have one tool(any tool...not just bandsaw or tablesaw).....what would it be.......and of coarse...why?

DonnieR

I am guessing we are not talking about hand tools, right? 'cause if we are including hand tools, I would pick a drill.

Other than that, this is an easy question for me to answer. Until five years ago, when we were full time RVing, I had no tools (other than, of course, the odd collection of hand tools) because I had no shop. My carving/sculpting was always done outside. I did have an 8' x 8' storage space in each of my "home bases" and decided I could buy some tools because I could store them out of the weather but would have to use them outside. What is the first tool I bought? My 14" Delta bandsaw. This was so I could cut my carving blanks. Second tool was a Delta sander, 4" x 36" belt w/5" disc and finally a DeWalt 12" SCMS. That's it. Then, when I had these tools for almost a year, I made the decision I NEED MORE TOOLS. This prompted us to give up the RV lifestyle which in turn cause me to have to buy a house again and things just mushroomed from there. I'm back in the same old rut I was in before we started RVing, I live in a permanent residence that I have to keep maintained, I have another house which I have to worry about keeping rented out (that was the first house we bought, it has a shop but the shop got too small which cause me to HAVE TO BUY this damned house), I spent all the rest of my money on tools and now I HAVE TO HAVE a bigger lathe, it just never stops. I'm tempted to say heck with everything again and go back to RVing. Then.........

Bart Leetch
02-13-2004, 3:14 PM
Since I consider the shop building a tool I would choose a 30' x 40' shop with a 10' ceiling with lots of 110v & 220v plug-ins.

Then ai wouldn't have to worry about room any more.

Jim Becker
02-13-2004, 3:38 PM
I would choose a Felder Combo machine

I'm with you...a nice full-featured combo machine would be just the ticket. But if that weren't allowed...I'd pick my lathe for endless hours of woodworking enjoyment.

Jim Engel
02-13-2004, 3:59 PM
Since I consider the shop building a tool I would choose a 30' x 40' shop with a 10' ceiling with lots of 110v & 220v plug-ins.

Then ai wouldn't have to worry about room any more.

Bart,
if you had a 30 by 40 foot shop, within two years you would
be running out of room.

I was fortunate enought to be able to build a well insulated
24 by forty foot shop several years ago.

I soon gave up the idea of wanting to be able to park
two cars in there, but try and keep the center open to
park a car in bad weather or work on the tractor.

There is of course a dog grooming section and a couple of
other things, but basically I have the lion's share for my
shop and when I get the desire for a new toy the problem
is immediately where to put it.

Everybody I ever knew with a boat eventually wanted one
just four foot longer, and I think shops are the same way...

Chris Padilla
02-13-2004, 4:37 PM
I'll go all the way back. A good rock for pounding and a piece of obsidian or flint for a decent knife! Gotcha all! :p

Steven Wilson
02-13-2004, 4:40 PM
A credit card, then I can buy more tools!

Ken Salisbury
02-13-2004, 4:51 PM
Well - I thought this on out for quite some time.

If (at the moment) I could have only one machine it would have to be my own ATM Machine - then I could get all the tools out there for my very own. :D

Barbara Gill
02-13-2004, 5:08 PM
If I could have only one power tool for flat woodworking it would be a router. With jigs, straight edges and time you can do everything with a router.
Now if I could have only one power tool in my shop for any type of woodworking, it would have to be a lathe. :D

Stan Smith
02-14-2004, 3:56 PM
Well, I guess a few folks got a little carried away with choosing credit card, atm machines, etc..But a little humor never hurt us. :D I would also choose a band saw because I use my scroll saw a lot and could do some small stuff with a smaller blade on the band saw. But, you didn't say that included non-powered hand tools so I would have to have no.'s 3,5,7,12, 60 1/2, rabbet planes, etc.. Also pattern maker rasps, chisels, hammers, drills, sharpening stuff, etc.. I didn't mention one of those combo machines because I have only seen the shopsmith. I think we do have a tendency to acquire too many machines and gizmos (and I'm one of the worst). Try reading, "The High Price of Materialism" by Tim Kasser.

Stan

Mark Singer
02-14-2004, 6:55 PM
A Swiss Army Knife... if the project doesn't come out good at least you have a corkscrew....you can get waisted!!!!