PDA

View Full Version : When the blank hit me in the chest....

Tom Hamilton
11-17-2007, 4:36 PM
When the band saw spit the blank back at me it bounced off my sternum and clattered across the shop floor. It took me a second to realize that I had just been hit by incoming and that the band saw was making a horrible clattering racket.

I punched the off button and watched the kinked blade (a new Timberwolf AS for green wood) pass through the guides at an ever slowing pace.
One of the upper ceramic guides was on the floor the other appeared to be in good shape. The lowers were undamaged. Fortunately, except for a temporary thump in the chest I was not injured. It could have been different if the piece had hit me in the noggin.

So what in the world happened.

I was sawing green turning blanks from some recently collected ditch wood.
I had made several cuts with the grain, resting the flat end on the table and pushing the blank through. I had also rounded a couple with the flat side down on the table.

The one that decided to fly was a little son of a branch, 6-8 inches long and 4 across.
I was cross-cutting the round shape, steering with a grip on both ends, thumbs well clear of the cut line. The blade was about half way into the piece when it came at me.

Cross cutting the round shape without jig or guide of some type must be the big mistake. Perhaps I rotated the piece somehow and the blade pinched the piece against the table and sent it flying.

So, fellow turners, what did I do wrong? And what should I do in the future to safely rip and cross cut blanks?

The turning is great fun 75282

I look forward to building up a stash of found wood blanks. But I don’t want to be playing dodge the blank every time I step up to the band saw.

Your recommendations will be most welcome.

Paul Andrews
11-17-2007, 4:50 PM
The best advise is never cut round stock on the bandsaw! You need a flat side down on the table or a sled that firmly anchors the round stock. Glad it was not a more severe learning lesson.

Bill Bolen
11-17-2007, 4:50 PM
Even with a "death grip" cutting bark side down will set you up for this to happen. The bark side is not square to the blade and for sure not flat to the table. Sure we all do it, but we should all also be a little smarter about it. Now if I could just get myself to stop doing this I could climb up on the soap box! Glad you are uninjured!
Bill

Paul Engle
11-17-2007, 7:16 PM
Or ... you could make a craddle/ sliding table to clamp/hold so the force is transfered to cradle then to the table. with no " bevel" to transfer the torque on roundy stuff it grabs and it spits it out, its gotta go somewhere and you are very fortunate it did not snap the blade and bring it along for the ride to meet you.Glad you are ok. Its like cutting round stock using the mitre and clamp with a backing plate (bolted to the mitre)that goes all the way to the blade, the energy either cuts the wood or gets transfered to the mitre back plate hence to the miter then to the table. Still all in all not a safe bet no matter what one does , or shouldn't do. The energy has to transfer to the table top. Hope I dont sound snooty was not meant that way , Tom , it's just that nothing we do in our shops is worth getting hurt for. Nope nothin'.

Bob Hampton
11-17-2007, 9:36 PM
tom
everyone is right on ...cutting round stuff on a bandsaw is just asking for trouble...but if the need is there here is what i do if i half to cut round stuff ...
I use the miter guage and clamp the piece to it...I dont cut anything this way that is over about 6" because i dont have any clamps that big...that a job for the chain saw....to clamp the wood i have had good luck with the wooden furniture clamps or bar clamp...I have at times screwed a piece of plywood to the miter gauge then used screws threw that into the piece if I know im going to turn it down past the hole they make ..but anyway i do it i make darn sure that its secure and not going to launch...I have had it happen also and cost me a new blade and part of my wits!

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2007, 9:47 PM
Glad you are not hurt! I managed to lose my timberwolf blade in much the same manner. Had the wood rotate ever so slightly and it violently slammed the wood forward and bent the blade. Bad words were said! Made me think about what had just taken place, why it had happened and also that I was not as strong as the bandsaw! Lesson learned!

John Hart
11-17-2007, 9:53 PM
I'm impressed that you're asking the question! Sheesh...I just keep doing it despite getting my fingers smashed and hearing that loud BANG! Yup....I never learn.:o Guess that's why I'll be a student for life.:rolleyes:

Richard Madison
11-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Easy to make a sled for small round pieces. 3/4" plywood base maybe 12" square with 3/8"x3/4"x~12" long rail screwed to bottom to fit miter slot, piece of 2x4 securely screwed to the plywood base. Clamp the round piece to the 2x4 with large c-clamp or two. Try to roll the piece out of the clamp manually. May need to reposition the clamp a time or two to get it solid.

But the best way is still to chain saw it, and/or make a flat side that can ride flat on the saw table. I used to cut them freehand too, but in a rare stroke of good judgement I quit doing it that way before I had an accident.

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. The first log I cut was round. When it sprained my wrist and my thumb I decided to make a cradle. Never did that again.

Tom Hamilton
11-18-2007, 8:20 AM
Thanks, friends, for the info. Richard's sled sounds like a sensible solution.

A good project for this rainy day in Houston.

All the best, Tom

Hilel Salomon
11-18-2007, 8:45 AM
I've also had bandsaw woes trying to cut round pieces. Years ago, woodcraft sold a metal sled (so-so workmanship and terrible instructions but...) it has stood me well and I've cut round pieces as wide as my bandsaw permits. Sooner or later, I'll try and duplicate it with a wooden jig. The good thing is that it has a screw device which lets you decide where to make the cut by pushing or pulling the screwed on round blank.
Luck, Hilel.

michael gallagher
11-18-2007, 1:18 PM
Thanks, friends, for the info. Richard's sled sounds like a sensible solution.

A good project for this rainy day in Houston.

All the best, Tom

Tom-

I recall Wood Magazine had an article at the beginning of 2007 / end of 2006 on sawing up your own wood, with instructions on how to make your own sled. Of course, my quick look around the house can't seem to locate it, but give me a day or two and I can give it to you next week.

Michael

robert hainstock
11-18-2007, 4:35 PM
Tom,
When I think of all the times i got away with ooppsie, and with a cradle right there on the woodpile. How's that thing go? God protects drunks and fools, and I have surely been blessed with all the rather dubious things I have done in the shop in my many years.:cool:
Bob