PDA

View Full Version : Bed Progress, and Advice Needed?

Jeff Norri
11-17-2007, 3:12 PM
I have been working on a bed lately and I am at the point where I have to make the mortises for the rails so I have to decide on their placement.I have been putting this off as I have not been able to decide what desing I like best. My mind doesn't work well on paper, so I mocked up the bed.

Option #1 (Picture 1 and 4) - Side Rail bottom lined up with the bottom ARCH of the FB and HB rail:

Option #2 (picture 2 and 3) – Side Rail lined up with the bottom of FB and HB rail

Regardless of which option I go with, the mattress will sit at the same height as it is now. Opinons?

Jeff Norri
11-17-2007, 3:17 PM
For reference sake here is picture I tooka while back when I put the HD an FB in place (Note the top crown is not yet on teh FB and HB at this point)

James Phillips
11-17-2007, 3:20 PM
I do not think it really matters, but I will say option 2 if forced to choose. I am just finishing a very similar bed.

Jeff Norri
11-17-2007, 3:36 PM
Yes Option 2 is more linear and most likely looks better. .

But high points with option number 1 is that less of the box spring will be revealed, wich I think looks nice. Also the rail will be about 3" higher off the ground, which I think will make the bed look lighter??? Also Option #1 might be slightly less prone to racking.

I could argue for both options - that I is why I am stuck here.

Charles Wiggins
11-17-2007, 4:24 PM
Definitely Option #2.

Scott Rollins
11-17-2007, 4:35 PM
I would go with #2. Will you be using bed bolts or commercial hook style to attach? I can't assume either since you said mortice. I have found the bed bolts to be much more robust than the hook style clamps on the beds I have made.

John Thompson
11-17-2007, 6:56 PM
Option 2... I just made the same decision a week ago on a bed I started then....

Sarge..

Jim Becker
11-17-2007, 8:31 PM
Option 2/3 look best to me...

Paul Girouard
11-17-2007, 9:03 PM
Option 1/4 for cleaning under the bed reasons , both look OK so practically wins out for me.

And IMO higher looks lighter , lifts the eye from the floor. So to each their own eh.

FWIW I'd use bed bolts over metal hardware / clips , I've used both and find the bolts way better.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/apr13.jpg

Jeff Norri
11-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. '

For hardware I opted to go for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/hardware/bedhardware/94k9210s1.jpg
I also opted to use a shallow mortise and tennon joint (unglued of course). The tennons are 6"longx1"widex3/8"deep. I figure the M&T will hold allot of the weight and this hardware will just be needed to keep the M & T from pulling out. I am also recessing this hardware into the bed like you would a door hinge to add some more strength.

I didn't want the bed bolt poking through, but in retrospect I would have gone with the old inverted bed bolt trick over this hardware. Maybe on my next bed.