PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on Cherry Wood

Ray Mighells
11-17-2007, 2:05 PM
Is anyone getting results on lacquered Cherry wood that are as good as the Photograv simulation? I haven't seen any photo engraving except from pics on this forum and linked sites. While some of the pics look good, there really isn't anything to compare it to. Would some of you experienced pros mind posting an orig photo along with the simulation and the finished product? I'm getting some interesting results, but overall I'm not truly satisfied with the job. I'm tempted to redo it with higher or lower settings but this is an easy way to use up a lot of material.

Dean Flannery
11-19-2007, 2:44 PM
Hi Ray,

If you go to my website you can see lots of engraved pictures with the originals.

www.mcmmachine.com (http://www.mcmmachine.com)

Dean

ps - I just paid my dues and enough for 3 other people, I love this site

George M. Perzel
11-19-2007, 3:29 PM
Hi Ray;
I've never done a photo on lacquered cherry but think the lacquer coating may be causing a problem. Try running your image first at a high speed/low power to burn the lacquer off and then do a run at the normal speed and power. Remember also the old GIGO rule, running at 72 dpi image at 300 dpi or converting it to 300dpi will not give you better detail.
I'll be down there sometime in the next two weeks- will give you a call and tell you when.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bill Cunningham
11-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Hers a picture of a old wedding photo side by side with a Birch ply Engraving.. It's birch, but I use the cherry setting in photograv..

Vicky Orsini
11-21-2007, 8:48 AM
Remember also the old GIGO rule... :confused: Silly question - what does GIGO stand for?

Ed Newbold
11-21-2007, 9:02 AM
:confused: Silly question - what does GIGO stand for?

Garbage In - Garbage Out ;)

Mike Null
11-21-2007, 9:10 AM
Vicky

I recall GIGO from the early IBM punched card days of the '50's. I think they originated the term.

Ray Mighells
11-21-2007, 10:12 PM
The GIGO response is not applicable to my query. Is anyone able to produce an engraving on lacquered cherry that is as visually pleasing as the beautiful Photograv Simulation you produced from the photo? I see many potential variables in running a job since the settings are essentially an educated guess based on experience, how the machine is running today, how this particular piece of wood is going to oxidize, etc,etc. I've been able to produce some decent results, but nothing that matches a good simulation. It's OK to seek perfection, but most times you have to be able to accept your best guess and hopefully experience will improve your guesses. Y'all have a good Turkey Day. I'm goin to have a BIG NY Strip Steak.

Bill Cunningham
11-22-2007, 9:43 PM
I don't see why I would not get similar results on cherry.. The only cherry I have done in quite a while was a piece with just fancy text. Most of the plaque suppliers around here do not supply cherry, or even alder for that matter. It's usually maple, bubinga, walnut etc.. For cherry, I have to go to a specialty wood supply.. Cherry will darken with age, but giving it a good coat of non yellowing floor paste wax before lasering will preserve the natural colour for much longer..
Here is a thread from last January that may answer some of your questions.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50540