PDA

View Full Version : Starrett Square Not Square

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I have several Starrett pieces, a 12" combination square set, 2 dial indicators, fractional and decimal, a couple of machine squares, and all are excellent. I just purchased a 6" combination square and when moving the blade to the end of travel(like to do machine setups) its out of square. If you move the blade somewhere into the center, its perfectly on square. Is this defective? Am I asking too much for it to be square when extended out to the end? My 12" gets a little out when moved to the end of travel, but nothing like this 6".
Help...?

Bill Bryant
11-17-2007, 1:10 PM
Do you have enough of the blade in there to keep in contact with both of the bearing surfaces in the head slot? Looking at my own Starrett 6" I can see that you can go too far if you're not careful and tighten the blade down on only one bearing surface.

Mike Marcade
11-17-2007, 1:12 PM
I'm with Bill on this one.

Gary Keedwell
11-17-2007, 1:14 PM
How far do you extend it? It may be called a 12" square but in reality you only have about 10" max using the inside. If you push the end of the rule past the lock mechanism it won't tighten square. You should still see a little of the rule when you look at it on the 45º side. Hope this helps.

Gary

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 1:15 PM
Yes... Im only moving the blade to the end of travel, making it like a machinests square. Flush with the outer edge.

Gary Keedwell
11-17-2007, 1:19 PM
If your locking mechanism is properly engaged then you have a problem. I would get in touch with Starrett service dept and see what they can do.
Gary

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 1:33 PM
Here is a pic about what I am talking about. Is this incorrect usage of the square? Gary you say only 10" of 12" square is usable?

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/?action=view&current=PICT0010.jpg

Bill Bryant
11-17-2007, 1:37 PM
I looked at the photo. It should be square used that way. If it isn't user damaged and it's clean, Starrett owes you a new one.

Dan Barr
11-17-2007, 1:39 PM
Period.

I've got 4 starretts and they all are just fine. I looked at your pic and your doing it right. it should be square at either end of travel and with the blade/blade holder reversed if so desired. also, your 12" should not be getting a "little" out either. have both looked at or replaced.

definitely get in touch with starrett and send them in.

v/r

dan

Kyle Kraft
11-17-2007, 1:41 PM
Try measuring the width of the blade with a micrometer at each end and at the middle. If the blade is tapered near the end maybe that's what is causing the problem. At any rate, Starrett should be notified.

glenn bradley
11-17-2007, 1:44 PM
Here is a pic about what I am talking about. Is this incorrect usage of the square? Gary you say only 10" of 12" square is usable?

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/?action=view&current=PICT0010.jpg

That is the extreme limit but should be OK. I would get a replacement. If your bearing surfaces are in good contact, it should meet specs. Speaking of which, is it off by like, 4 thou or something gross like that or are we talking .001?

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 1:45 PM
Try measuring the width of the blade with a micrometer at each end and at the middle. If the blade is tapered near the end maybe that's what is causing the problem. At any rate, Starrett should be notified.
I thought of that also. I checked it last night and its perfect.

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 1:47 PM
is it off by like, 4 thou or something gross like that or are we talking .001?

Yes... its much more than .001. Its kinda hard for me to measure just holding this square to another square. I dont have any feeler gauges, but was able to easily slip a .004 shim from my dado set into the gap. I made sure everything was clean and checked it many different times with several machinest squares and my 12" Starrett and always got the same results.

Gary Keedwell
11-17-2007, 2:02 PM
Lance..took a long time for your picture to open on my screen. My thinking cap is not on very good today. I was thinking you were using it the other way and when I said 10" I was looking at my 12" Starrett. Using the inside you lose a couple of inches. Have you tried the inside as well as the outside?

Gary

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 2:04 PM
Its square when not moved to the extreme end. If you set it at, say the 4" mark, its dead on. Only at the end of travel is it out.

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 2:09 PM
also, your 12" should not be getting a "little" out either. have both looked at or replaced.

dan
My 12" is only minutely out. Not even enough to worry about. I just was wondering if because it wasnt perfect also, if I wasnt using the 6" correctly or if you coudnt count on a combination square to be perfect when used at the extreme end of travel

Gary Keedwell
11-17-2007, 3:12 PM
My 12" is only minutely out. Not even enough to worry about. I just was wondering if because it wasnt perfect also, if I wasnt using the 6" correctly or if you coudnt count on a combination square to be perfect when used at the extreme end of travel
Back in the mid 1990's I was working as an inspector in manufacturing. The tool crib guy gave everybody the heads-up on these solid steel set of squares from Poland. They were so cheap that a few of us bought the set.(2",4", 6") Well I didn't think much of them until one day I wasn't very busy so I took the squares over to my giant granite plate and calibrated them with a height gage. Wow, every one of those were square within tenths of a thousandth. I now use them as my "standards" because as much as I like my combination square, there are too many variables for it to go "out of square". My solid one-piece steel squares are never gonna go out of square.

Gary

Chris Barnett
11-17-2007, 3:44 PM
Does the box or square show the location where the square was manufactured?

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 7:09 PM
Does the box or square show the location where the square was manufactured?

No... but it does say Athol, Ma. on the box. That doesn't mean it was made here. I know Starrett manufactures in other parts of the world.

I went today and exchanged the square for another 6" Starrett combination square and this one is perfectly square. I guess even an excellent company like Starrett can make a stinker once in a while. Problem solved.

Dan Barr
11-17-2007, 7:31 PM
Glad that you got it solved. Good to hear that the service was good too.

v/r

dan