PDA

View Full Version : LaserKerf Mitre Saw Laser??????

Charlie Patterson
11-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I am trying to help my brother-in-law find out some info on this product. If any of you fine gentlemen have this or have ever used this laser please give me some feedback so I can steer him in the right direction

Thanks
Charlie

Dale Lesak
11-17-2007, 12:43 PM
If this is the one made by Irwin, I have one and like it a lot Only thing is that the kerf is the the right of the line so you have to adjust your marking accordingly :)

Ed Peters
11-17-2007, 3:32 PM
Laser Kerf is not one of those washers you fasten to your arbor. It is a whole new approach to the aftermarket laser upgrade. I know because I have one on my 12" Dewalt SCMS. It mounts to the saw structure behind the blade guard. It is purchased to match the kerf of the blade you use. When properly installed, the laser light shows the wood that will be removed by the cut so you can now mark to cut on either side of the blade without any adjustments. You can select the battery powered version or the 110v version. One of the other advantages with this laser is that the blade does not need to be spinning to activate the beam making line up a whole lot safer. I've had mine for about 3 years now and use it heavily. The only problem I have ever had is that from time to time, the beam seems weak. That's when I remember to remove the little rubber overcoat and blow out the dust. The laser is immediately blazing bright again.

The usual disclaimers apply here. I am in no way connected with www.laserkerf.com (http://www.laserkerf.com) nor do I recieve any kickbacks for trumpetting their horn (though I wouldn't turn them down. polite, that's what I am). I am simply a very satisfied customer.

Ed

John Bush
11-17-2007, 4:10 PM
I installed one on my Dewalt SCMS also and feel it is a great addition. It attaches behind the blade with double stick tape/adhesive and has a modest amount of adjustability. It marks the kerf so you can align to either side of the blade. I attached the pushbuton switch on top of the saw handle, but I still forget to turn it off occasionally. At some point I will try a non-locking switch so it will shut off when I release it. I chose the 110 model and the cord is just short enough that I have infrequently pulled the transformer from the outlet. No biggy. Being able to site your cutline before you start spinning ther blade is a great feature. I think you will be happy with one.

Brian Dormer
11-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I've had one for a couple years. If you watch NYW - Norm has a CMS with TWO lasers (one on each side of the cut). Laserkerf takes the other approach - you order a laser with a beam width similar to your sawblade. The beam is where the saw will cut. I use thin kerf blades, so I got the "thin beam" model. Once you mount and adjust the unit (which can be a bit tedious, but not difficult) it holds alignment well and it's dead-on accurate. Just put the beam where you want the wood to go away.

One drawback is that the unit can't fit on SOME CMS's. But it does fit most. Check the website for details.

Highly Recommended.

bd