PDA

View Full Version : Which circular saw for dust collection

Andy Coverdale
11-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I am considering a Makita 5007MGA and a PC 325MAG. People talk about adding a dust port to the Makita. Any opinions on best saw to control dust with a vac attached?

Dave Falkenstein
11-17-2007, 10:58 AM
...Any opinions on best saw to control dust with a vac attached?

Festool, without a doubt.

Drew Armstrong
11-18-2007, 2:56 AM
Yup... Festool... However... Makita is licensing festools smaller plunge cut saw it looks like...

Drew

Matt Vallad
11-18-2007, 7:25 AM
I own the PC 324MAG (same as the 325MAG without the brake, I think) and couldn't be happier. It's an amazing saw that's put together very well. It's balanced well and feels solid. I've never had it bog down either. I got mine at Lowes for 60 bones on clearance! I am extremely pleased with it. Although I've never used the dust collection port (yet), and I've never owned a Festool, online reviews tend to put the 324MAG/325MAG in the same class in terms on dust collection, power and precision. Here's a quote from Amazon's customer reviews on the 324MAG:

"The reason I selected this saw is that I had decided to get a circular saw and router precision guide system for my home shop. I have so little room that table tools are a problem. Anyway, while looking at the precision guide systems, I noticed that every single vendor pictured their guide system being used with this saw. I asked a couple of them about that and was told that the precision, power, ability to plunge cut and dust collection rivals the Festool at less than half the price."

Also, I worked for a log home builder when I was younger (about 10 years ago), and Porter Cable saws were his saw of choice. When asked why he told me that over the years he'd tried them all and the PCs just held up better. Although he did say that Makita was second.. If I remember correctly, we had 2 or 3 PCs and a Makita on site in the equipment trailer.

-Matt-

Bob Childress
11-18-2007, 7:40 AM
The dust collection on the 324/325 mags is adequate if connected to a good vac system.

The PC does not, however, rival the Festool in this regard, and dust collection was the OP's question.

Matt Vallad
11-18-2007, 8:44 AM
Tough crowd... :D

Bob - The Festool may indeed be superior in terms of dust control. As stated, I haven't used the dust port on my 324MAG. And Festool tools are too spendy for my blood. I was just giving my experiences with a model similar to what Andy mentioned.

Andy - Is dust control your only prerequisite? If so, I doubt you'll be disappointed with a Festool saw. They generally get great reviews and have a dedicated fan base.

Personally, I'm more of a price/performance type of guy. Hence, I'll probably never own anything Festool (or Mercedes:p). But to each their own...

Regards,

-Matt-

Mike Cutler
11-18-2007, 8:52 AM
Dust Control is Festool's "bread and butter" so to speak, and they are amazing in that regard.

Matt thanks for the post on the PC325. It's always nice to have options, and Andy did specifically reference the PC325 in his post with respect to dust collection.;)

Andy Coverdale
11-18-2007, 9:50 AM
The Festool is definitely the best. The Hilti is good as well I am sure. I just want a good saw for the ez smart. I dont want to spend gobs of money on a saw for cutting panels. I just need a good system so I don't have to keep balancing my plywood on the TS. I mostly us solid lumber in my projects and panels only occasionally.
I think I would be happy with the PC MAG.
The ultimate (very expensive) would be a Festool with the EZ smart and a smart square.

Ray Knight
11-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I googled the Ryobi plunge saw, looks nearly identical to the Festool. List for similarly high money, being sold for a bit less, BUT (and it is a BIG BUT) looks to be only in Europe for now. I can find no American google listing for that saw. Maybe next year? Ray Knight

Bob Childress
11-18-2007, 10:11 AM
The Festool is definitely the best. The Hilti is good as well I am sure. I just want a good saw for the ez smart. .

In that case, the PC325 would be a good choice. It was the "saw of choice" for EZ for a long time. If you face the dust port forward and hook up a good vac you'll get most of the dust. :)

I ain't that tough. :D:rolleyes:

Allen Bookout
11-18-2007, 10:25 AM
. I mostly us solid lumber in my projects and panels only occasionally.

I think that you would also. That is what I have and it does a great job.

Dave Falkenstein
11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I googled the Ryobi plunge saw, looks nearly identical to the Festool. List for similarly high money, being sold for a bit less, BUT (and it is a BIG BUT) looks to be only in Europe for now. I can find no American google listing for that saw. Maybe next year? Ray Knight

Ray - Did you mean to say Makita instead of Ryobi??? I understand the Makita plunge saw will be available in Canada soon.

Greg Pavlov
11-18-2007, 10:34 AM
The dust collection on the 324/325 mags is adequate if connected to a good vac system.
The PC does not, however, rival the Festool in this regard, and dust collection was the OP's question.
Maybe this is a question of semantics, but while I get great dust collection with my Festool sanders, I'm not all that happy with how much is left behind by my TS55, especially with thicker stock. The saw seems to throw out as much forward as it does backward, and while the stuff going to the rear is picked up, most of what shoots forward escapes.

Dave Falkenstein
11-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Maybe this is a question of semantics, but while I get great dust collection with my Festool sanders, I'm not all that happy with how much is left behind by my TS55, especially with thicker stock. The saw seems to throw out as much forward as it does backward, and while the stuff going to the rear is picked up, most of what shoots forward escapes.

Greg - The Festool saw does throw some dust out the front of the saw. However, if you really believe that the "saw seems to throw out as much forward as it does backward" try running the saw without the vacuum hooked up and stand behind it.

Matt Meiser
11-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I have one of the previous generation Porter Cable saws and am dis-satisfied with the dust collection, even hooked to a good vacuum. It does a good job getting chips after adding a small plastic shield Dino sent me, but the fine dust is very evident on the floor and in my nose after a few cuts. I've pretty much relegated the circular saw to outdoor use, which means it is only available to me 1/2 the year.

Allen Bookout
11-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I have one of the previous generation Porter Cable saws and am dis-satisfied with the dust collection, even hooked to a good vacuum. It does a good job getting chips after adding a small plastic shield Dino sent me, but the fine dust is very evident on the floor and in my nose after a few cuts.

I may be wrong but I just don't think that you are going to get anywhere near one hundred percent of the dust with any of the current circular saws due to the nature of the beast. There are just too many places for it to get out. Aft, forward, out the bottom, out the top and out the sides.

M. A. Espinoza
11-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Tried googling for Ryobi plunge saw and found nothing? Makita is definitely producing a plunge and rumours of Porter Cable doing the same but no images as of yet. Reportedly shown at a trade show.

Apparently Festool's patent is up and others are jumping in.

I've used the Festool at work and its a fantastic tool. But as often as I need a track saw's capabilities its just a little too much for a tool what would only get occasional use. If others don't produce I would probably go the EZ route.

For now I get by with the ghetto option. Worx saw with homemade guide. (the Worx saw plate is designed to run on a track guide, but they have never produced the guide)

Strangely the Worx guide doesn't fit on the Festool track even though that was once claimed. Track is right size but offset doesn't match for blade clearance.

Brad Evans
11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
>>> Any opinions on best saw to control dust with a vac attached?

Since your requirement is "best," the answer is Festool.

Stan Smith
11-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I've never tried a Festtool. I have a Fein vac. Using some rubber hose and cheapo electricians tape, I've been able to make fittings for my Makita sheet sander, Pc 333, & Makita scms. I'm thinking of doing also for my PC boss circ saw. I wish I had a hookup for my Milwaukee circ saw. I plug the saw into the vac and when I hit the tool trigger, the vac comes on. Probably not the ideal, but it works fairly well and the price isn't bad.

Stan

Matt Meiser
11-18-2007, 1:42 PM
I may be wrong but I just don't think that you are going to get anywhere near one hundred percent of the dust with any of the current circular saws due to the nature of the beast. There are just too many places for it to get out. Aft, forward, out the bottom, out the top and out the sides.

I don't disagree--other than the Festool and maybe the just-as-expensive Hilti saw, they are all too open to catch the dust as it escapes. I was just pointing out that if one wants dust collection, its going to be tough. Chip collection is something different.

Bruce Benjamin
11-18-2007, 3:30 PM
The Festool is definitely the best. The Hilti is good as well I am sure. I just want a good saw for the ez smart. I dont want to spend gobs of money on a saw for cutting panels. I just need a good system so I don't have to keep balancing my plywood on the TS. I mostly us solid lumber in my projects and panels only occasionally.
The ultimate (very expensive) would be a Festool with the EZ smart and a smart square.

The general consensus on the EZ Smart Forum is that the Hilti 267e is the, "Ultimate" saw for the EZ Rails. I have this saw and I can tell you that while the DC isn't perfect it's very good. It appears from previous posts in this thread that the DC on the Festool isn't perfect either. The ergonomics and many other premium features of the Hilti saw make it stand out above all others for use on the EZ rails. The only area where it's lacking is in depth of cut on the rails. While it cuts deep enough to cut 2x material, if you want to match a table saw you'll need to go with a saw with a larger diameter blade. In order to avoid violating this forum's Terms Of Service I'll leave the comparisons between saws to Private Messages. If you really want to talk to the circular saw expert, the man with more experience with different saws, (including Festool) than anyone on this or probably any other forum you should go to the EZ Forum and contact Burt. But again, you don't want to raise the hackles of the forum administrator so keep the detailed comparisons, (Any including Festool and EZ) to private communications. There's been too many F vs E wars in the past...:( Any other brand comparisons are ok though.:cool: Feel free to contact me if you want via PM.

Bruce

Chuck Tringo
11-18-2007, 3:34 PM
What about the Makita or Hitachi saws made for cement siding? Has anyone tried either of those on sheet stock ? I would imagine from their design that either would be a bit better that thePC, but not enough reviews to see. I also was looking at the Rage Evolution until i realized that like the Festool, it uses a proprietary arbor size...albiet at 1/3 the price.

Ray Knight
11-18-2007, 4:00 PM
sorry about that, you all caught it immediately, I googled makita, and they do have a plunge saw (festool clone) available in europe. I guess my mind slipped a cog back to my ryobi chop saw, with which I am finishing up my shop conversion, from car storage to wood shop. Seems the saw market is getting ready for big changes, riving blades and sawstop in tablesaw, and plunge saw for hand use. next year should be exciting. Ray

Tom Cowie
11-18-2007, 8:26 PM
Greg - The Festool saw does throw some dust out the front of the saw. However, if you really believe that the "saw seems to throw out as much forward as it does backward" try running the saw without the vacuum hooked up and stand behind it.

I almost forgot what it was to get covered in saw dust thanks Dave:D Festool puts the vacuum attaching point in a place that reminds us how much we need their vac:D

Festool has my vote. I haven't seen the Makita and a PC at 60.00 bucks would be hard to pass up. The Hilti is a excellent saw that has earned the reputation but I still think that Festool is a better dust collector out of the box.

Just my 2cts

Tom

Greg Pavlov
11-18-2007, 9:52 PM
That's exactly what I did (by accident, of course...). I was sawing about 2 1/2" maple at that point. BUT whether it is the same, or less, the bottom line is that quite a bit - on my saw, on my table - escapes the CT22, more than the glowing reviews I've read would lead one to expect.

Stan Welborn
11-18-2007, 9:59 PM
I have the PC saw and think the dust collection is "decent". I've also used the Festool saw and guide. No comparison. The Festool is "MUCH" better. There's also no comparison in price though. I guess it just depends on how important it is to you. The difference in price well outweighed the better DC for me. (plus the fact I don't do a lot of sheetgoods work) If $ wasn't an issue it would be a no brainer... YMMV.

Pete Janke
11-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Stan said it all for me. I occasionally connect my PC 324 Mag to my big Craftsman Vac. This collection technique is much better than none, but is a slight pain due to the hose flopping around. It will be much easier if/when I get the dust hose coming off an overhead location from my dust collector.

Steve Dewey
11-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I own both the PC and the Festool. Festool easily wins the dust collection comarison, though you will catch some dust if you hook the PC up to a vac.

Something not mentioned, but the festool isn't designed to be used "freehand" ie - it kind of requires the guide extrusion.

Stan Welborn
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Stan said it all for me. I occasionally connect my PC 324 Mag to my big Craftsman Vac. This collection technique is much better than none, but is a slight pain due to the hose flopping around. It will be much easier if/when I get the dust hose coming off an overhead location from my dust collector.

I hooked the hose up to a homemade rotating boom deal mounted on top of a rolling cart I had on hand. Beats the heck outta dragging it over the edge of the table.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7843/dsc02226ic1.jpg

Andy Coverdale
11-19-2007, 8:55 AM
Ended up buying the PC 324mag yesterday. It was on sale at HD for $69. It is the same as the 325mag but without the brake. Hope I don't miss the brake.

Andy

Allen Bookout
11-19-2007, 9:31 AM
That is great Andy! I don't know about missing the brake as I have the 325. Maybe I do not expect enough from my dust collection, but not being allergic to wood dust I expect to have some left over when I saw something. As long as you are in the same mindset I think that you are going to really like that saw, especially considering the cost.

jason lambert
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
For the cost you can't go wrong with that, just use a good vac with some high volume.

Bruce Benjamin
11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Ended up buying the PC 324mag yesterday. It was on sale at HD for $69. It is the same as the 325mag but without the brake. Hope I don't miss the brake.

Andy

You can get by with a saw without a brake but for the EZ Smart it is generally considered a feature you want. The problem you might run into is that when you're done with a cut and want to slide the saw back to it's starting point you'll have to wait for the blade to stop spinning. If you don't you run the risk of slightly cocking the saw a little on the rail and that can chew up the white plastic edge strip and/or the edge of your workpiece. It doesn't always do this but it can happen and it's best if you wait for the blade to stop.

If cost is your biggest factor, (it sounds like it is) then there are other inexpensive saws available with a brake. I really can't give you advice on which to buy since I've never been in the market for that sort of saw, (happy with the saw I have) but there are several people on the EZ Forum who can give you that info. I'd bet you could get something in your price range with DC and a brake that would suit your needs better than the PC 324 that you bought. In other words, don't throw away the box and the receipt before you check it out. :)

Bruce

jason lambert
11-19-2007, 11:46 AM
I aggree, I had the PC (the older version same motor) before I went with the festool saw. The thing that impressed me with the PC was the power I couldn't stop the thing, it went through everything like butter even nails and didn't slow down or burn the wood. Most other saws when I used them would slow down and start to burn the wood if I went fast the PC just would mussle through everthing. The soft start is nice though for the points you mentioned above.

Dust collection on the festool is the best and the system is just better with the guide, saves me so much time not haveing to clamp guides and has saved me that much in plywood from mistakes I use to make miscalculating where the cut would end up or the guide moving a hair.

Anyhow watch the power on the lower cost saws I don't know how many I tried that would just bind up cutting a couple 2x4's.

I do like the break for safety though.