PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Testament

J D Thomas
11-17-2007, 8:31 AM
Is is any wonder why so many of us love to deal with this wonderful company?

I purchased their complete set of Forstner bits over 2 years ago. Mostly I use the one 1" and smaller, occasionally I have the need for the larger ones. They are excellent bits. Recently, I had occasion to use the largest bit in the set, 3", to make a shallow recess about 1/8" deep. After I chucked the bit up in my DP, I turned it on and before making the cut, I noticed immediately it was spinning noticeably non-concentric. I double-checked the seating in the DP. Fine. I even went so far as to check the run-out on the chuck. Fine again. I installed the next smaller size, and it spun perfectly. After all this, I deduced that the bit was the problem.

A quick email to LV customer service garnered a response, apologizing for my inconvenience and stating they were sending me a new bit. Great. They also asked that I send back the old bit once I receive the new one, at their expense of course!! (I can think of NO OTHER company that does that, and I know that's a legendary customer service perk from LV).

I got the new bit - perfect. Sent the old bit back, and today I get a nice note in the mail from Emily saying they received the returned bit and again apologizing for my inconvenience.

WOW. Like I said: is it any wonder all of use just love this company?!?!

Rob Lee, you and your cohorts are the best!!

Thanks.

Tom Pritchard
11-17-2007, 8:48 AM
JD, I agree with you completely! I will purchase everything I need from Lee Valley, even if the cost is a bit higher, just to endorse the fact that they are a world class company! I have had many experiences with them like the one you describe. They are a pleasure to deal with! Thanks for sharing your story!

Randal Stevenson
11-17-2007, 3:47 PM
Is is any wonder why so many of us love to deal with this wonderful company?

I purchased their complete set of Forstner bits over 2 years ago. Mostly I use the one 1" and smaller, occasionally I have the need for the larger ones. They are excellent bits. Recently, I had occasion to use the largest bit in the set, 3", to make a shallow recess about 1/8" deep. After I chucked the bit up in my DP, I turned it on and before making the cut, I noticed immediately it was spinning noticeably non-concentric. I double-checked the seating in the DP. Fine. I even went so far as to check the run-out on the chuck. Fine again. I installed the next smaller size, and it spun perfectly. After all this, I deduced that the bit was the problem.

A quick email to LV customer service garnered a response, apologizing for my inconvenience and stating they were sending me a new bit. Great. They also asked that I send back the old bit once I receive the new one, at their expense of course!! (I can think of NO OTHER company that does that, and I know that's a legendary customer service perk from LV).

I got the new bit - perfect. Sent the old bit back, and today I get a nice note in the mail from Emily saying they received the returned bit and again apologizing for my inconvenience.

WOW. Like I said: is it any wonder all of use just love this company?!?!

Rob Lee, you and your cohorts are the best!!

Thanks.

While I agree, this DOES show Great customer service, this should ALSO serve as a reminder, that we should check these things, when we receive them. I think there are plenty of us who haven't and found out something was wrong, after the return date (with no help from CS).

A good reminder, and thanks!

John Shuk
11-17-2007, 4:21 PM
That is nice to hear. I love their catalogs and now that I'm a bit peeved with Woodcraft over the Freedom Pens thing more of my business will be going their way.

John Schreiber
11-17-2007, 4:23 PM
I'd pay a little more to work with a company that good. I'm glad I usually don't have to. Hope the rising Loony doesn't make it harder to get a bargain from Canada.

Jim Becker
11-17-2007, 6:17 PM
Yup...Lee Valley is excellent. I even just bought a great shirt from them that they recently put in the catalog...from Ireland and also labeled Lee Valley! Primo...

Stan Smith
11-17-2007, 6:28 PM
I've made many purchases from LV over the years. Their service is the absolute best and their website is easy to use. No problemos!!!

Jeff Norri
11-17-2007, 6:37 PM
Yes Lee Valley is great - what even better is having one Lee Valley close to you house and second one close to your work!