PDA

View Full Version : Router table & Router combo selection?

dennis thompson
11-17-2007, 7:03 AM
Can someone suggest a reasonably priced router table & router for a beginner?
Thanks
Dennis

Rich Engelhardt
11-17-2007, 7:36 AM
Hello Dennis,
I currently have 3 routers.
- An old Craftsman 1 1/4 HP- 1/4" Collete
- A Ryobi 1 1/4 HP - 1/4" Collete
- A Freud 1700 2 1/4 HP - 1/2" Collete w/plunge base.
(6 really if you count the 2 Dremel's and the Roto-Zip - which are simply small trim routers at heart).

The Ryobi is the one sold at HD that comes with the table. they usually run ~ $99.99.
I've been happy with it - up to a point.
#1 - You have to understand that with the low cost & low power & small Collete, you can put most of your ideas on hold. The power and accuracy needed for anything except the most simple things just isn't there.
#2 - This may or may not apply in your case. I was willing to part with $99.00 as part of the learning curve. It also helped that I packed the cost of the tool into the materials I used to rehab a rental house last year. I needed some decorative baseboard - and after checking with the CPA to make sure I could write off the cost, I picked up the Ryobi.
#3 - Despite the shortcomings of the Ryobi, it's still accurate enough (or can be setup to be) to allow me to use it to construct a shop built router table.
Number 3 is a catch-22. You almost "need" a router table to make a router table.

My suggestion would be to list all of the uses you plan for the router/router table. If any of them involve hogging out a lot of material for raised panel doors on anything more than an occasional basis, then look at the >3HP models. You really need the extra power to swing the larger bits.
I'd also suggest doing a search here for the gentleman I quote in my signature. Nissim constructed a very simple & basic router table using laminated flooring.

You can also check out some other resources, router forums for one, and Pat Warner's website for another.

Norm's New Yankee Workshop router table is also an extremely popular one.

I believe you're going to find most responses to your inquiry are going to suggest you build your own. I lean towards that idea myself. Sooner or later, you're going to want some or a lot of features even the most elaborate (expensive) ready made tables can't deliver, and you're going to have to build one anyhow.

Rob Will
11-17-2007, 8:19 AM
I can't say it is cheap but a lot of people like the Bench Dog lineup. I heard Rockler bought them out.

I just bought the Freud FT3000 router. Nice, but not cheap.

Rob

Allen Bookout
11-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Here is what I would do until you decide what you want. I would buy this router and add the free ROS down the page a little under "Special Offers". http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-690LR-Fixed-Horsepower-Router/dp/B00005QEVQ/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1195309046&sr=8-1
Now you have a good small router with a good ROS for just over $95 delivered. Go somewhere and get a small length of laminated counter top that is flat as you can find for the table top. You might want to get a plate from Woodpeckers or somewhere. Use a straight 2X4 clamped to the top for a fence. Find or make a simple base to set the top on and you are in business for a small amount of dollars plus the have the sander if you need one. You can go larger later if you need to and have the PC690 for a very good handheld router.

Charles Wiggins
11-17-2007, 1:18 PM
Can someone suggest a reasonably priced router table & router for a beginner?
Thanks
Dennis

I have a bench-top router table that I bought from Rockler (which unfortunately they've discontinued and replaced with a more expensive option (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18031)). I have a small shop so it's great being able to tuck it away. I just pull it out and clamp it to the table, attach the shop vac hose and I'm ready to go. The featherboards and hose attachment were extra.

My router is a PC 690LR (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10007), which I love (which is currently on sale at Rockler for $99). It spirals in and out of the base, so I just unlock the base and rotate the motor to raise or lower the bit; and it's easy to remove the entire motor to change bits. I recently added the Rockler router speed control (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10760) (the yellow box strapped to the side - which is also on sale right now at $29.99 - $10 off). The 690LR is NOT variable speed, but it's a pain to try and adjust router speed when it's hanging upside down under the table anyway, so this was a great solution. The switch has both VS and full speed options. (FYI: The speed control is NOT for soft-start routers).

I ALWAYS shop the sales. I got my entire router table rig on sale at different times. I got the table and feather boards and made do with my VS router until I could afford the 690LR. I got it on sale at WoodCraft ($89 if I remember correctly). And I added the speed control about 2 months ago (last time it was on sale). Honestly, I've only used the VS option twice, but it's nice to have when you start running wider bits.

75263 75264 75266 75265 75267

Randal Stevenson
11-17-2007, 3:28 PM
Hit your local library and check out Bill Hyltons book, Woodworking with a router. I would build my own router table (coming from someone who has used some cheapy store bought ones, and one not so cheap).

If your going to use this just in a table, right now there is a a deal several places on the net (Peachtree, Woodcraft, Hartville I think, etc) for a Freud FT2200 series router. It is a 3HP variable speed plunge router. (predecessor to the previously mentioned FT3000 without its new above the table benefits).

Otherwise, generally liked (and argued) about good starter routers, for both freehand and table use are:
DeWalt 618 series (3 base kit)
Bosch 1617 series (2 base kit)
Trition (don't know the model 2 1/4HP)
Freud FT1700 (was on closeout recently at Lowes)
PC 690 and/or 890 series
DeWalt 621

Lance Norris
11-17-2007, 7:19 PM
I have a PC 690 LRVS mounted in this Bosch table. I dont have the room for a large table so this was the best option for me. I dont use huge cutters in my table, so this works good for me.

http://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-RA1181-Benchtop-Router-Table/dp/B000H12DQ6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1195344975&sr=8-1