PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Tip

Randy Klein
11-17-2007, 6:53 AM
Not sure how many already do this, but I've discovered a nice way to keep an eye on craigslist for tools.

Using Google reader, you can subscribe to the tools section of your local craigslist (Dayton OH for me) and you can also subscribe to close cities as well (Cincinnati and Columbus for me).

Every time someone posts a new ad in the tools section, it'll show up in the reader. I've found this to be faster and more reliable than periodically browsing the individual pages and scanning the ads.

Anyone have any other tips?

Randy Klein
11-22-2007, 4:01 PM
Umm, bump.

Kurt Strandberg
11-22-2007, 6:55 PM
Not sure how many already do this, but I've discovered a nice way to keep an eye on craigslist for tools.

Using Google reader, you can subscribe to the tools section of your local craigslist (Dayton OH for me) and you can also subscribe to close cities as well (Cincinnati and Columbus for me).

Every time someone posts a new ad in the tools section, it'll show up in the reader. I've found this to be faster and more reliable than periodically browsing the individual pages and scanning the ads.

Anyone have any other tips?

What is Google reader?

Dave Hale
11-22-2007, 7:03 PM
Great tip! Thanks for posting it. Now all 3 New Jersey CLs are ready for viewing automatically instead of me remembering to go to CL.

Randy Klein
11-22-2007, 7:32 PM
What is Google reader?

It's an RSS reader located here (http://www.google.com/reader/view/#overview-page). It's essentially software that monitors webpages (blogs mainly) for changes and then notifies you of those changes. It's simple to use. Just grab the link for the page you are interested in monitoring and add it as a subscription. If google reader is capable of subscribing to that page (it can't do all) then it will appear on your page.

Bryan Rocker
11-22-2007, 9:43 PM
Thanks for the tip. It seems to work well.

Randy Klein
11-22-2007, 9:56 PM
Thanks for the tip. It seems to work well.

A fellow Beavercreeker huh? Maybe I should have kept the tip to myself :D so as not to ruin any advantage I gained...

Charles Wiggins
11-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the tip, and thanks for bumping it for us new guys.