PDA

View Full Version : Wood garage door oportunity

Randy Ridley
11-17-2007, 1:54 AM
I just built a 3 car garage (insulated metal building) that will have a limestone veneer when finished. I have the opportunity to build three wooden garage doors, but am somewhat clueless as to where to begin. I can't seem to find any detail information on what works best for a 10' x 10' door or any construction details. My inclination is to build a solid wood (mahogany?) 2 1/4" thick frame with plywood panels using mortise and tenon joints on the rails. Any ideas? My wife and I have agreed that we want an overhead door that looks like a carriage house style.

Thanks

Vic Damone
11-17-2007, 5:48 AM
That sounds like it might weigh a lot. I would look into the hardware limitations first, then go about the design.

There are some very nice doors available now. We installed a faux 14' insulated aluminum carriage door complete with faux hinges and handles. It looks deceivingly real and there's very little maintenance.

Vic

Rob Will
11-17-2007, 8:13 AM
I would buy some factory made carriage house style garage doors - all with power openers. My neighbor has a classic 1850's mansion with a new 3-car garage and a similar setup. There are some really nice high-end doors out there that cost less than what it will take to build them. Write the nice man a check and be done.

If you do build wood doors, watch out for the center sagging over time. Many wood panel garage doors must have metal diagonals installed on the inside of the lower panel.

Two words: Insulated Steel

Good luck with your decision.

Rob

Ralph Barhorst
11-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Take a look at page 30 of the October 2007 "Workbench" magazine. There is a short article about steel, composite, and wood carriage style doors.

Mike Spanbauer
11-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I believe the others have already covered the points I was going to.

Weight is a BIG concern or you will be getting into some VERY, VERY expensive hardware. Sure, you can hang anything but the motor to drive and the hinges to support might startle you when priced.

It can be done, so don't let this discourage you but just realize that the design has to be fairly well engineered if you intend to get by with moderate hardware costs vs. exhorbant ones.

mike

John Bush
11-17-2007, 4:36 PM
Hi Randy,
I didn't want an overhead door for my shop so I made swinging doors for my 8' wide by 9' tall opening. I wanted the old door look as well so I have a large lower panel and glass in the uppers. I had a door shop prehang them for me. I also looked into automatic openers for a swinging type of door but decided I really didn't need it. There was a poster long ago that made his own mission style doors and rigged openers using the conventional overhead opener. Try to search under "mission garage doors", etc, and I will try to find it also. Here are some pics of the shop/doors inside and outside. BTW, I agree with the others--buy steel doors with the faux design you like. Good luck, John.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/bushhog104/DSCN1049-1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/bushhog104/DSCN13361.jpg

John Bush
11-17-2007, 4:56 PM
Hi Randy,
I found the post(s) that may be of help. I don't know how to attach links, but search for Jeff Horton's Redneck Engneering post from 4-15-2006 and look for his series of post about his garage door design and build. Seems it is just what you are looking for. JCB.