PDA

View Full Version : Another Vase. Maple/Cherry

John Hart
11-16-2007, 8:13 PM
Here's another stab at the same style of vase from yesterday. This one is a Maple burl body(4" Hollow Ball) and Cherry appendanges. Tried to slim things up a bit and changed the finish to satin lacquer. Hand rubbed it until a genie came out...but the lacquer got to him and he run off. (lightweight:rolleyes: ):)

9.5" X 4"

Alex Elias
11-16-2007, 8:54 PM
That is a nice piece. I like the one you've posted the other day better as far as the contrasting woods. I like the forms and the overall finish of your work.
Congrats.

Mel Reed
11-16-2007, 9:08 PM
John,Agian beautiful work.Excelent + finish.
Mel

Bryan Berguson
11-16-2007, 9:41 PM
John,

You turners simply amaze me! Great looking vase!

Bryan

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2007, 10:21 PM
John that is another beauty. I do like the form and finish. Well done.

Dan Williams
11-16-2007, 11:42 PM
As a craftsman your work is amazing.
The vase is beautiful, I am curious though as to what tool you used to hollow the vase out?
Also did you put the finish on the vase when it was green?
Or wait until it was dry?

Thanks Dan

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2007, 11:59 PM
John - very nice looking vase! I like the size of this - something I could see without the reading glasses! Pretty wood combination and finish. You just know in a couple of years the color change in the cherry will make this piece outstanding!

Jon Lanier
11-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Very nice John. You have a good eye for turning. :cool:

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-17-2007, 3:07 AM
Beautiful. Absolutely lovely.

John Hart
11-17-2007, 6:36 AM
Thanks all. This is only the second one of its kind so far. I hope to refine these to have better overall lines. One thing about it is that I don't feel like I'm imitating anything that anyone else does...I feel like this is my own design...and that's kinda what I was shootin' for.

Alex...I agree that the colors don't offer the same kind of contrast as the other one...in fact, it's a little like vanilla ice cream with butterscotch topping.....but like Steve says, that Cherry will darken abit so over time, it may contrast up a bit.....I hope.:)

Dan...I hollowed the ball with a 1/4" scraper bit of my own making...attached to a straight boring shaft on the hollowing rig. After the top was in place, I hollowed the throat with the Ugly Stick.
I never apply a finish to green wood. Tried it many times in the past and while it looks ok to start, over time, the finish mottles up and has to be redone. These blanks were dry enough to finish turn from the start.

Thanks again ya'll.:)

Paul Andrews
11-17-2007, 7:53 AM
John,

This piece and the one from the other day are wonderful, especially the finishes. What type of setup are you using to spray the lacquer, and what brand of lacquer? Do you have a dedicated spray booth or use the great outdoors?

Christopher K. Hartley
11-17-2007, 8:09 AM
Outstanding work John as always. I really like the form and finish.:)

robert hainstock
11-17-2007, 8:39 AM
Let it be said John, you have a great eye for a curve./ :rolleyes:

Donald Barfield
11-17-2007, 9:45 AM
Beautiful is an understatement !! I hope one day to be able to do turnings that look half that good.

Paul Engle
11-17-2007, 10:09 AM
John, very nice work indeed. Anymore hard to find a shape one can call " their own " but it works for me. Beautiful. :D

John Hart
11-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks again everyone! I'm really going to like doing these things.:)

John,

This piece and the one from the other day are wonderful, especially the finishes. What type of setup are you using to spray the lacquer, and what brand of lacquer? Do you have a dedicated spray booth or use the great outdoors?

Paul...I don't really do anything extra special. For this piece, I used Krylon Satin Lacquer in a can. Usually I use Rustoleum High Luster in a can. I found that using a sprayer, I spent more time cleaning up than I would like to. I suppose if I was spraying several pieces, then I'd get out the spray gun. But one can goes a long way, it doesn't cost much ($2.50 a can) and there's no clean-up. Plus...it does a pretty nice job!:)

As far as a spray booth?...Well, I have a little finishing room as part of the shop. Not decked out or nothing, but it's away from all the dust and I can close the door and go back to working. I violate every safety precaution to ensure that I get the full effect of the overspray too. (hic):o

Tom Sherman
11-18-2007, 7:00 PM
Another winner John, keep em coming.