PDA

View Full Version : Practicing for the ornament exchange

Bill Wyko
11-16-2007, 7:53 PM
This is my first attempt at an ornament. Or an egg with windows and a clown hat.:o I didn't put much effort in the finish, it was only practice for the real thing.:D

Robert McGowen
11-16-2007, 7:59 PM
I would like to trade ornaments with Bill please! :D:D:D:D
Practice looks like it is paying off! Nice job.

Bonnie Campbell
11-16-2007, 9:04 PM
His 'practice' looks better than my 'trade'. Oh well, I tried my best :o

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Looks great Bill. Well done.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-17-2007, 2:55 AM
That's a first attempt? Wow! I'm just speechless.

Bill Wyko
11-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys. I glued the ends of 4 sticks together, turned a U shape out of the center, cut the glued ends off. Then I did a 180 degree turn with each piece individually and glued it back together and turned the outside. Really pretty easy. Aside from drying time it only took an hour or so. Someone had sent me an e-mail with this technique a while ago so I thought I'd try it. I don't know who sent it but thanks a bunch. I'm sure it was a Creeker. :)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-17-2007, 1:44 PM
Got a copy of that technique? I'd love to see it.

Bill Wyko
11-17-2007, 2:25 PM
The wonderful service from earthlink lost all my e-mails twice now so It's gone. I'll try to take pics of the next one I make though.

John Hart
11-17-2007, 7:03 PM
I tried one of them inside out thingies once. I didn't take pictures....and I won't!!!:o

Nice job Bill!!

Johnathan Bussom
11-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Bill,
Beautiful job, I had to read this post cause of "first attempt" posted by you!
I know you do great work from your past posts that I looked at but did not realize you didn't do hollow forms, I HAVE NOT DONE any either YET!! But it might be possible for me to spark an interest to learn after looking at your "first attempt" INSPIRATION might be the word I am looking for!

After following directions today on a flatwork flag display case with decorative routed edges I was making as a gift that FAILED miserably cause it just don't work as the directions say I need some Inspiration and should go back to turning!

As for the segmented stuff I got a new Beale buffing setup this week and buffed up a couple of the segmented bowls and flower vases the wife cherishes, beautiful finish now but was a little ashamed when I did the base and saw Apr 2004 on them, good thing I have a real job!

I am kind of puzzled about how you say you made this ornament so I will be watching in case you get your email or find the technique used!