PDA

View Full Version : New look for SMC?

Eric Gustafson
11-16-2007, 7:51 PM
New look for SMC?

Is it just my computer? I guess the board was down today, but the grey backround I was so used to seeing is gone.

Paul Dombroski
11-16-2007, 7:53 PM
The orange color is a little hard on the eyes.

Rob Will
11-16-2007, 7:56 PM
The orange color is a little hard on the eyes.

Yes, the Blue was easy to see. I'm having trouble with my eyes, more contrast would help.

Rob

Gary Keedwell
11-16-2007, 7:56 PM
What's up with this site.....somebody hijack it?

Gary Keedwell
11-16-2007, 7:58 PM
What's up with this site.....somebody hijack it? This an Improvememt?????????????:mad:

Mike Langford
11-16-2007, 8:07 PM
I liked it better when it looked like Lowes' instead of Home Depot!75232

Brian Hale
11-16-2007, 8:17 PM
I liked it better when it looked like Lowes' instead of Home Depot!75232

ROFLMAO :D

Brian :)

Philip Glover
11-16-2007, 8:17 PM
The orange font has got to go!
It's really bad.

Phil

Gary Keedwell
11-16-2007, 8:21 PM
Wow, I had a lousy day and now this?:rolleyes:

Gary

Brad Evans
11-16-2007, 8:29 PM
If the goal was to make reading difficult, I'd say the effort was successful.

Doug Shepard
11-16-2007, 8:35 PM
If the goal was to make reading difficult, I'd say the effort was successful.

Difficult? Try impossible for some of the fonts & colors. Pale blue/gray fonts on paler blue/gray backgrounds? PLEASE change it back.

Darl Bundren
11-16-2007, 8:39 PM
Sobriety should be a requirement prior to messing around with forum appearances.

This is hard to read.

Roger Savatteri
11-16-2007, 8:40 PM
I could have sworn April Fool's was in April.

Lance Norris
11-16-2007, 8:44 PM
I dont like it either.:confused: Its hard to read. Please go back to the original colors...PLEASE.

Al Killian
11-16-2007, 8:46 PM
Anybody else getting a headache trying to read this stuff?:eek: :confused: :confused:

Rob Bodenschatz
11-16-2007, 8:51 PM
Anybody else getting a headache trying to read this stuff?:eek: :confused: :confused:

Yes.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Keith Outten
11-16-2007, 8:55 PM
Aaron already knows that I am not a fan of the new color scheme. I guess he decided to go live with it to see how everyone else felt.

:(

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2007, 8:56 PM
Keith...with the amount comments on this I'd say you are in good company and large crowd!

Chris Kalkowski
11-16-2007, 8:57 PM
Ya I was reading a thread and I saw the change. WOW I don't know if I like it.........................

Brad Evans
11-16-2007, 8:58 PM
So Fein has become a major forum sponsor???

Rob Bodenschatz
11-16-2007, 8:59 PM
Maybe when Aaron gets home from dinner he can turn the "Allow Users to Change Styles" setting on.

I hope.

Rick Thom
11-16-2007, 9:26 PM
And here I thought my computer was hijacked. Thankfully not.
I much prefer the dark blue or black.

Mike Langford
11-16-2007, 9:34 PM

Hey Al,

Take eight of these.... 75246 then go out and squeeze sumthin!.....it'll make you feel better and when you get back maybe this "new" skin will be just a bad memory!

....sniff, sniff, I smell oranges!.....

Bryan Berguson
11-16-2007, 9:36 PM
Change is not always a good thing. I liked it better before as well.

Bryan

Steve Clardy
11-16-2007, 9:38 PM
Sobriety should be a requirement prior to messing around with forum appearances.

This is hard to read.

ROFLOL

Ditto

Gary Keedwell
11-16-2007, 9:41 PM

Bryan
If I make another donation...will you put this back where it belongs....

richard poitras
11-16-2007, 9:43 PM
If it any broke way change it … leave it like it used to be … not orange!

Jim Tobias
11-16-2007, 9:47 PM
I have to say I find this hard on the eyes. I find myself squinting when I am reading posts. Maybe it's just my eyes?

Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2007, 9:54 PM
What ever it is....it's hard on my old eyes too!

Mike Cutler
11-16-2007, 9:57 PM
Ha.. ha ... ha. Love the new colors scheme, umm... not. Maybe if I was a Vol's fan I might like them better.

Old eyes are having trouble Aaron, but it was worth a try. Right??

gary Zimmel
11-16-2007, 10:05 PM
After seeing the site this way, it reassures one that the old colors were great...

Norman Pyles
11-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Geez, I thought it was just me.:eek: :D :D

Nancy Laird
11-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I have only a one-word comment on the new color scheme and layout--

YUUCK!!!!!

Nancy....in New Mexico...looking down...getting nauseus (35 days)

David Duke
11-16-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree with everyone else, I REALLY hate the new color scheme, don't feel like "home" anymore.

Gary Keedwell
11-16-2007, 10:24 PM

Bryan

I have only a one-word comment on the new color scheme and layout--

YUUCK!!!!!

Nancy....in New Mexico...looking down...getting nauseus (35 days)

Come on Nancy...tell us how you really feel.

LOL Gary

mark page
11-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I spent 45 minutes trying to straighten it out, as I thought my kids somehow messed up the font colors. I could have immediately figured this out IF the creek wasn't the first website visited this evening:p
I vote for the old colors.

Dave Sinkus
11-16-2007, 10:30 PM
That's what happens when my well water gets a little orange-ish.
Try more salt or recycle the iron filter.

Just trying to help:)

Todd Jensen
11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Didn't see this post when I started my Orange thread - its seriously almost bad enough to find another forum to lurk at. Sorry SMC, appreciate the time it must take to change the look but as a member of many other forums, your old layout was about as good as they come. This new one, while it has an updated style, is absolutely brutal.

Jim Callaghan
11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
it hurts, it hurts, stop the pain, stop the pain!!!
make it go away!!!!

this is one of the only forums that I read that I can not change the color by myself, and look what they pick for us.

jim

Gene Jordan
11-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I agree with the majority ---- Please change it back.
Gene

Larry James
11-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Aaron already knows that I am not a fan of the new color scheme. I guess he decided to go live with it to see how everyone else felt. :( .

Not only are the changes bad, and hard on my 65 year old eyes, but your timing is lousy - change in the middle of a fund raising drive!

PS: I had to lean over to read the tiny new quote buttons in your post!!!!

Jeff Bond
11-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I just love the new color. I'd like to see the blue in the windows be replaced with this nice orange color. Couldn't all the text everywhere be orange? This is fantastic baby....:) Maybe the background color could be changed to black....Halloween anyone...:rolleyes:

Bob Feeser
11-16-2007, 10:57 PM
I was going to say that it looks great with my sunglasses on:cool: . I am in favor of a little variety. Keep on trying. This one is a little bright. Let's have an SMC designer style run off. Which one do we like best??? Oh changing templates is a major pain in the butt?

Sean Kinn
11-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Please change it back.

1. It looks like one of the import car tuner websites now with all of the neon.
2. The grey fonts on a gray background is horrible from a usability/accesibility standpoint.
3. Please take the $$ I just donated today to become a contributor and use it to pay a high school kid to change the colors back. ;-)

Irvin Cooper
11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
This is the same problem with all of IT everywhere. We upgrade for the sake of upgrading, but what has changed for the better? The functionality of the forum is the same: we post, we look at each other's stuff, we respond. Except now it is just more frustrating to do the same thing we were doing before. So why did we upgrade in the first place?

i guess i was too indoctrinated at the school of "if it ain't broke...."

Irv

Sean Kinn
11-16-2007, 11:03 PM
This is the same problem with all of IT everywhere. We upgrade for the sake of upgrading, but what has changed for the better? The functionality of the forum is the same: we post, we look at each other's stuff, we respond. Except now it is just more frustrating to do the same thing we were doing before. So why did we upgrade in the first place?

i guess i was too indoctrinated at the school of "if it ain't broke...."

Irv

There may have been a lot of "behind the scenes" upgrades....but that ususally doesn't mean you can't keep the more simplistic front side appearance.

Chris Rosenberger
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
If I make another donation...will you put this back where it belongs....

Had I known this was going to happen, I would not have donated.:mad:

Jim Kountz
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Hey I have the fix for the new skin here folks, get yourself a welding helmet and just keep it by your desk for use while viewing SMC. With that the new skin is not a problem at all!!:D :D :D :D

Just this morning I saw on the Smithsonians website where they completely renovated the Museum of American History. The old building was very homey and comfortable with a real nice atmosphere just perfect for getting that "period rush" while visiting. The new building is all white inside, with alot of stainless steel and crap. Its so sterile looking it gives you the feeling of a hospital or a school. Not the same nice warm cozy feeling it use to have.
Another case where something wasnt broke yet someone thought they should fix it anyway. I will never understand..................

Jim O'Dell
11-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't mind the styling change...too much. I could get used to it with a little time. But I agree about the orange color. Maybe it's growing up an OU fan (not much so anymore) and becoming a Baylor fan (Green and Gold...alma-matre don't 'cha know) and because of that, being anti UT :D, orange just goes against the grain.
It won't keep me from coming here, but it does make it a little tough to read. Jim.

Lee DeRaud
11-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Had I known this was going to happen, I would not have donated.:mad:From the fine print at the bottom:
Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin (http://www.stsoftware.biz/) for phpBBStyles.com (http://www.phpbbstyles.com/).
(I changed the colors so you could read it.)

Looking at that site, it appears the new skin/template was free...and worth every penny.
(It would depress me greatly to find out anyone wasted good money on it.)

Did I mention I really hate the new look?

Alex Shanku
11-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Stop acting like little babies. No need to go so over the top with all of these respnses like the past 4 pages have been.

The orange color is tough to read, but the rest of the page looks pretty good, imo.

Alex

Gary Keedwell
11-16-2007, 11:34 PM
its seriously almost bad enough to find another forum to lurk at. Sorry SMC, appreciate the time it must take to change the look but as a member of many other forums, your old layout was about as good as they come. This new one, while it has an updated style, is absolutely brutal.
Even a lurker said the old layout was as good as they come:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o

Gary P.S. I like the old way of the quotes being shaded.

Rafael Carias
11-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi all

The only thing I would like to add about the new style is that the orange font is hard on the eyes. Every thing else is fine.

Dan Muller
11-16-2007, 11:54 PM
From the fine print at the bottom:
Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin (http://www.stsoftware.biz/) for phpBBStyles.com (http://www.phpbbstyles.com/).

Huh. That site isn't using this scheme. :)

I don't particularly like theirs, either -- but it's a easier on the eyes.

Denny Rice
11-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Aaron already knows that I am not a fan of the new color scheme. I guess he decided to go live with it to see how everyone else felt.

The background is too bright and new buttons are too small. I have 20/20 vision and still have hard time reading top tool bar,ect. If we are voting I say some things are better left alone. I always liked the blue/gray scheme, the orange is a little hard on the eyes.

Rob Will
11-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey I have the fix for the new skin here folks, get yourself a welding helmet and just keep it by your desk for use while viewing SMC. With that the new skin is not a problem at all!!:D :D :D :D

Just this morning I saw on the Smithsonians website where they completely renovated the Museum of American History. The old building was very homey and comfortable with a real nice atmosphere just perfect for getting that "period rush" while visiting. The new building is all white inside, with alot of stainless steel and crap. Its so sterile looking it gives you the feeling of a hospital or a school. Not the same nice warm cozy feeling it use to have.
Another case where something wasnt broke yet someone thought they should fix it anyway. I will never understand..................

The government must have had something to do with this color scheme.

Since they're based in TENNESSEE, I'm blaming it on the Oak Ridge National Lab folks. All that needs to be done is issue some radiation goggles to everyone and it will look like KENTUCKY BLUE !!! A much nicer color.

Rob

Lee DeRaud
11-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Stop acting like little babies. No need to go so over the top with all of these respnses like the past 4 pages have been.Well, they're no more "over the top" than the hundreds of complaints that were posted about the old forum look.

What? There weren't hundreds of complaints posted about the old forum look? Really? How many were there?

None?!? Imagine that.

Greg Muller
11-17-2007, 1:56 AM
The good old blue is back!!! Where's my wallet, I need to leave a tip!:D

Bob Genovesi
11-17-2007, 5:37 AM
The good old blue is back!!! Where's my wallet, I need to leave a tip!:D

IT IS?????

I think Stevie Wonder is at work here!!!

Ken Shoemaker
11-17-2007, 6:01 AM
Geez, if my kids were b$%^&* about something so insignificant, I'd tell'em to got outside and play. So everyone, GO TO THE SHOP AND BUILD SOMETHING!!!! ;)

Heather Thompson
11-17-2007, 6:41 AM
Reminds me of working for ATT, this is progress? I just contributed 20.00 yesterday for the fund drive, if you change it back I'll double the contribution. Please listen to the folks on this thread.

Heather :(

Hans Braul
11-17-2007, 7:23 AM
Just to put my vote in - I also hate the orange. Everything else is fine.

Steve Bagi
11-17-2007, 7:38 AM
The orange is terrible. The rest looks great.

Doug Shepard
11-17-2007, 7:49 AM
IT IS?????

I think Stevie Wonder is at work here!!!

Oh - Ya mean I can just feel the Braille dots on my screen now instead of having to squint with my face 2 feet from the screen? Thanks for the tip.

Curt Harms
11-17-2007, 7:51 AM
The overall look is O.K., the orange needs to change and the buttons could be a little bigger. I don't like apps where buttons and doodads take up half the screen but they still need to be readable.

Chris Rosenberger
11-17-2007, 8:00 AM
Stop acting like little babies. No need to go so over the top with all of these respnses like the past 4 pages have been.

The orange color is tough to read, but the rest of the page looks pretty good, imo.

Alex

Sorry to offend you.

The orange color is not the only problem. I can not see the small buttons in the lower right hand corner.

Fred Woodward
11-17-2007, 8:04 AM
I agree, the orange and soft colors are hard on my old eyes.

Nancy Laird
11-17-2007, 8:27 AM
Sorry to offend you.

The orange color is not the only problem. I can not see the small buttons in the lower right hand corner.

Nor can I - nor can I see the ones across the top----

Nancy (34 days)

Skip Williams
11-17-2007, 8:55 AM
The orange is a little hard on the eyes ...unless..that is you are a Clemson, or LSU or Tenn football fan! ... or an employee of Home Depot<g>.

Skip

Rob Bodenschatz
11-17-2007, 9:11 AM

Alex

Babies? I'm reporting your post for personal attacks.

You are not the judge as to what we should care about.

David G Baker
11-17-2007, 9:14 AM
Nor can I - nor can I see the ones across the top----

Nancy (34 days)
Nancy,
Are there buttons across the top? If there is I can't see them either.

Basil Rathbone
11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Whew!! I finally found the reply key. As long as the geeks were going to make it small, why didn't they make it white too, then it would be REALLY hard to read and find.

There may have been some technical changes to make the site better, but I have a hard time believing that changing text size and colours would have anything to do with it.

You go back, I'll come back.

Jason Roehl
11-17-2007, 10:37 AM

Alex

It's not at all over the top. For those of us with less than perfect eyes the new colors are awful. Heck, even some of the people here with 20/20 vision say the colors are hard on their eyes. It's not just about "not liking" the colors--they are truly hard for some of us to use.

This is a user-supported forum that many of us look forward to visiting every day. If it is physically difficult to read, that anticipation will go away. Quickly. Financial support would soon follow.

BTW, this is generally a friendly place. Telling people here to stop acting like babies is not likely to garner you many friends here. Disagreements are fine and do happen, but demeaning others' opinions in such a manner is not welcome.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-17-2007, 10:44 AM
BTW, this is generally a friendly place. Telling people here to stop acting like babies is not likely to garner you many friends here. Disagreements are fine and do happen, but demeaning others' opinions in such a manner is not welcome.

Well put, Jason.

Gary Keedwell
11-17-2007, 10:50 AM
This is a user-supported forum that many of us look forward to visiting every day. If it is physically difficult to read, that anticipation will go away. Quickly. Financial support would soon follow.

[/QUOTE]
My sentiments exactly....this is , by far, one of the most cordial and sophisticated woodworking sites on-line. During many of my visits here, I have never heard a complaint about the colors or format of this site. The constructive criticism must be warranted.
Gary

Eric Gustafson
11-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Thank You!!!

Gary Keedwell
11-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Thank-you
Gary
Thank You!!!

Dave Falkenstein
11-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Way to go, Aaron. The old format REALLY is much better.

frank shic
11-17-2007, 10:56 AM
yahoo!!! thanks for changing it back, now just keep it that way, ok? ;)

Brad Evans
11-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey, it's back to normal!

And magically the little voices inside my head stopped - no longer feel the need to go out and drop a grand on Fein tools...

Aaron Koehl
11-17-2007, 11:03 AM
See this thread--

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69302