PDA

View Full Version : First Of Many???

George Guadiane
11-16-2007, 6:20 PM
This is the first in what I HOPE turn out to be a lot of boxes. It's for a VERY upscale Chocolate Maker in our area... I found out that he might be interested in having boxes made for his stuff, so I made an appointment and went in with this... He ordered four to start (I probably could have gotten him to take more, but I want him to be THRILLED).
The box is:

diameter: 5 7/8 inches
Height: 2 1/4 inches
400 oil sanded burnished bee's wax finish
As Always, Questions, Comments and Critique Welcome
And I CAN handle the truth!

Doug M Jones
11-16-2007, 6:43 PM
Very nice box. Those must be really good chocolates and out of my price range if they come in a box like that. Can you make a heart shaped one for Valentines day?

Nice work.

George Guadiane
11-16-2007, 7:12 PM
Very nice box. Those must be really good chocolates and out of my price range if they come in a box like that. Can you make a heart shaped one for Valentines day?

Nice work.
I don't think a heart shaped box is in my future, and yes the chocolates are pricey (and worth every penny), but the clientèle would put Hershey's in the box if they liked the box, they have the money.

John Hart
11-16-2007, 8:18 PM
Wow...nice deal with Mr. Wonka.;) Nice box too. The first of millions?

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2007, 8:21 PM
Love the curly George!!! Hope you get orders for lots!!

Alex Elias
11-16-2007, 8:37 PM
That is one nice looking box. I whish you the best of luck on your new commerce at least seems like quality is not something you'll have to overcome.
Two things. One and that is personal taste. How about a bit more detail on the handle, a groove or 2 may be a cove or something to brake up the large empty surface? Two. Would the owner let you inscrive the bottom of the box your name and E-Mail? Also now that we are at it put the wood type there too, I bet the customer might appreciate that.
Congrats,
Alex

George Guadiane
11-16-2007, 9:12 PM
That is one nice looking box. I whish you the best of luck on your new commerce at least seems like quality is not something you'll have to overcome.
Two things. One and that is personal taste. How about a bit more detail on the handle, a groove or 2 may be a cove or something to brake up the large empty surface? Two. Would the owner let you inscrive the bottom of the box your name and E-Mail? Also now that we are at it put the wood type there too, I bet the customer might appreciate that.
Congrats,
Alex
I took the box to "Mr Wonka" as pictured because we talked about having a laser logo (including my "TurnedbyGeorge art and possibly the name of the wood) added and the top was one of the possible locations. We agreed that the bottom was the best, and I am going to leave this one as is, because he liked it. I am free to do pretty much whatever I like on the rest, and one suggestion is to make a "truffle" knob on the top, turned and carved. I will do some that way too. We both kind of like the old school simplicity of this one.

I am pretty sure that I will be able to put up some kind of small advertisement and that they will gladly pass out business cards for me, so I will get the exposure that anyone would pray for.

Julie Tanner
11-16-2007, 9:38 PM
wood type :confused:

Bryan Berguson
11-16-2007, 9:39 PM
If I got a box like that and it had dog crap in it, I'd be happy! :D

Beautiful box!

Bryan

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2007, 9:58 PM
Nice box! Looks like quilted maple?

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2007, 10:20 PM
George that is a beauty. The finish and wood are great.

George Guadiane
11-16-2007, 10:48 PM
wood type :confused:
SORRY, curly/quilted maple

Richard Madison
11-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Time to order a CNC machine? I hear that it's happened to bottle stoppers (the wood part).

We know your stuff is nice. I wanna see the chocolate part.

George Guadiane
11-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Time to order a CNC machine? I hear that it's happened to bottle stoppers (the wood part).

Chocolate Springs (http://www.chocolatesprings.com/) in Lenox, MA.
I'm working on a new Logo to go on the bottom of the boxes, might as well show that too:

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-17-2007, 3:01 AM
Congrats on the commission, George, and nice work. I hope it becomes profitable for you!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-17-2007, 8:25 AM
Beautiful work George, that is a wonderfully simple shape that makes this box very attractive.:)

ROY DICK
11-17-2007, 1:40 PM
George,

I am very happy to hear 'bout your deal with the boxes. Good luck with more orders. Also I like the logo.

Roy

Dean Thomas
11-17-2007, 4:16 PM
I'm with Roy and the others. Nice box, nice logo, nifty deal, please send chocolates that I might ensure that they are worthy for your wood art!

Are you going to include a little note for the care and feeding of their new wooden treasure, their objet d'arte? That could help them keep it as lovely as it is for years to come.

Richard Madison
11-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Good idea about the note, Dean. If they want to recycle the box instead of save it, the note should have my address for recycling.

Mighty fancy chocolates, and a very stylish logo. Good luck George.

Gary Herrmann
11-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Nice curlies George. I wonder if you should maybe put your label on the top, if the knob is big enough. It is a little obvious, but your client might like the marketing.

George Guadiane
11-18-2007, 12:21 AM

Nice curlies George. I wonder if you should maybe put your label on the top, if the knob is big enough. It is a little obvious, but your client might like the marketing.
Thanks Everyone,
I already talked with the chocolatier, he wants the logo on the bottom...
The wood care and feeding card is a GREAT idea!
I just finished two more:

robert hainstock
11-18-2007, 5:06 PM
Tell us bout the finish. Looks like lcear whatever.

Great piece and many more to come.:rolleyes:
B0b

George Guadiane
11-18-2007, 6:39 PM
Tell us bout the finish. Looks like lcear whatever.

Great piece and many more to come.:rolleyes:
B0b
The finish is sanding to 400 with mineral oil from 280 and a burnished in bee's wax...
That's it. As food safe as I could figure out.