PDA

View Full Version : Another "Who's Who" scam?

Joe Pelonio
11-16-2007, 6:08 PM
I got a nice letter from the Registry Administrator at "Biltmore Who's Who" inviting me to become listed on their "Honors Edition" publication, based on information they obtained on me from various executive and professional rosters. That was my first clue. I did go to their website and while it appears that a book, certificates and plaques are given I suspect that the catch is having to pay for them. No fees are mentioned though. I suppose it could also just be a way to get onto a list that's sent out to advertisers or spammers. I have to respond by December 7, and fill out a card which says that there is no cost or obligation to be listed.

Anyone else get this letter, or have any experience with these people?

Rick Gifford
11-16-2007, 8:20 PM
Get these from time to time with the kids when they are in high school. That one is called an achademic who's who list, or something like that. Its free to give them your information, then they hit you with the sales pitches. The registry book cost you$ if you want a copy. Interested in having your photo there? Please send X $$. etc etc. Want it in color? Thats another X$$. Of course you need to buy copies for family members and friends eh?

They are selling you the honor of seeing your name in print. I suppose there are people that believe the hype and brag about it...

I throw them away. Just a money scam.

Mike Henderson
11-16-2007, 9:55 PM
I've received those in the past. I believe they are attempting to appeal to a person's vanity - to see their name in a "Who's who" list. As someone posted earlier - once you provide the data, I suspect they hit you hard to get you to purchase copies of the book, plus other stuff.

I don't know much about the real "Who's Who" but I suspect they choose people for the list without those people having to pay for it.

Mike

glenn bradley
11-16-2007, 9:58 PM
Yeah, sales pitch. You do get the book but, I don't need to see my name in print on the coffee table.

Jim O'Dell
11-16-2007, 10:10 PM
The only one I've ever heard of that's legit is the "Who's Who Among American High School Students". I'm sure those books had to be purchased, though. As I remember, the school teachers/staff nominated the students from each school, but I don't remember what the criteria was.
It would make sense that business/college/other professionals would be recognized in their fields too. Just don't remember seeing it since highschool. Jim.

David G Baker
11-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Remember the family crest that you could get if you sent in x$? That scam was floating around in the late 60's and 70's. This one sounds similar.

John Bailey
11-17-2007, 6:46 AM
As a former high school principal, I often saw these. I never did see one that I felt was legitimate. I was never asked to form a committee or even give my input. What I did see were "C" students plunking down $25 registration fees and buying a couple of $40 books to see their name in print. I had one parent pay $125.

If it's legit, there will be a process, and that process will be performed by an organization other than the seller of the book.

I'd be surpised if this is not a scam.

John

Jon Lanier
11-17-2007, 7:40 AM
At one time I think it was legit. Not anymore, a single google search will pop up hundreds of these companies. Here is an interesting article.

http://wcco.com/consumer/Who.s.Who.2.354309.html