PDA

View Full Version : Ripping a molding, yes, a little nutty

Matt Lentzner
11-16-2007, 5:42 PM
My father wants to run a molding at the seam between the wall and vaulted ceiling. Something in the range of a 135 deg angle. The ceiling has wood paneling and the wall is stucco, so it would make for a nicer looking transition.

His plan (and he wants to borrow my table saw to do this) is to buy some *half* round molding, 12' long and about an inch wide, and rip a 45 deg bevel in it. I can see a safe nor accurate way to do this short of making a custom jig to sit in front of the saw blade to guide the piece. And I'm not even sure *that* would work.

I'm thinking there has got to be an easier way to accomplish the goal.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Matt

frank shic
11-16-2007, 5:44 PM
how about using crown molding instead?

Matt Lentzner
11-16-2007, 5:48 PM
Is there crown molding that would sit flush to both surfaces?

Or are you talking about essentially blocking the line of sight to the seam?

Matt

Richard Dragin
11-16-2007, 6:15 PM
Is this what you are talking about? If so it should be easy enough to cut with feather boards and a push stick. Depending on the tilt of your saw you may want to add a sacraficial fence so as not to trap the larger piece between the fence and the blade.

Matthew Voss
11-16-2007, 6:25 PM
Is there crown molding that would sit flush to both surfaces?

Or are you talking about essentially blocking the line of sight to the seam?

Matt

Rip the top edge of the crown to follow the slope of the ceiling. Use a sled, don't attempt this freehand. You can cut a transition piece to change the direction of the crown from horizontal to slope (which involves a little math), or build a small corner pendant.

Matt Lentzner
11-16-2007, 6:26 PM
No, like this. Please excuse the crappy picture.

Sorry for not being more clear.

bruce cain
11-16-2007, 6:40 PM
Matt,
Are your fence rails long enough so that you can move your fence to the left side of the blade?

Matt Lentzner
11-16-2007, 6:42 PM
Yes, and I have a right tilter.

It's a Bosch 4000 so that may complicate things a bit also.

Keith Cope
11-16-2007, 6:49 PM
Matt,

What type of fence do you have? would some sort of auxiliary fence that would effectively provide a fence "under" the tilted blade work? Seems to me that sort of concept in combination with featherboards and a push stick could work and be relatively safe and reasonably accurate. But with stucco being one of the surfaces, is accurate really that important?

Keith

frank shic
11-16-2007, 6:58 PM
matt, i see what you're talking about now and why your dad proposed ripping the half round which BTW may not work too well since the back of the half round will probably not fit perfectly flush up against the corner created by the ceiling and the wall. matthew mentioned a good solution to this problem.

Todd Jensen
11-16-2007, 7:15 PM
There is 'stock' quarter round molding that will come with that bevel out of the back.

Rich Engelhardt
11-16-2007, 7:31 PM
Hello Matt,
I routed the profile on 1x4 stock, then ripped it to 45* on the TS instead of starting with the already milled stuff.
That way, you're also not limited to a plain half round look.

mike holden
11-18-2007, 6:02 PM
Matt,
I think it would be a lot safer to use a router table and a 45 degree bit.
You can keep the bit "buried" and away from fingers, use a feather board in both directions to keep the profile constant.
Just my thoughts,
Mike