PDA

View Full Version : Work Sharp 3000

Doug Rogers
11-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Has any body used the Work Sharp 3000 to sharpen turning tools? What are the results as well as the pros and cons?

Thanks for your help!

Doug Rogers

Hilel Salomon
11-17-2007, 9:54 AM
I bought one to add to my scores of sharpening devices. Being probably the world's worst sharpener, I'm always trying to find some device which will help me. The gizmo is great for sharpening wood chisels, but as for replacing my oneway jig and grinder for turning tools.... no! I have sharpened skew chisels on it and it works fine, but I will probably just use it to fine tune stuff I sharpen on the grinder when I don't want to bother with my tormek. Does that mean I won't try the jooltool.
Regards, Hilel

Doug Rogers
11-17-2007, 1:08 PM
Hilel,

Thanks for the info. I will probably bite the bullet and pick up the Jet slow grind water sharpener while it is on sale as a promotional item.

Woodcraft has the Jool Tool marked down as a closeout item.

Doug Rogers

Charlie Adams
11-17-2007, 1:46 PM
I bought the Jool Tool and LOVE it.

It is fast.
Gives you a sharp edge.
No setting angles or anything like that.

I no longer use my grinder and wolverine.

Charlie

Ron McKinley
11-18-2007, 1:19 AM
I'm almost weaned off the grinder and use the Jooltool for most everything now.....Ron

Doug Rogers
11-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I decided to go with the Jet Slow Grind water sharpener. The Amazon price pushed me over the edge.

Doug Rogers

Robert Salas
11-27-2007, 11:29 AM
I recently acquired a Work Sharp 3000, pushed over the edge by a 20% discount via AMZ and a drawer with an increasing number of dulling tools...

Anyway, I noticed this thread didn't have many responses with regards to users of the Work Sharp, so I'm hoping to revive / hijack it. ;)

I'm trying to sharpen an oval skew chisel I use for pen turning. The ideal combined angle for the chisel is 30 degrees, which means a 15 degree bevel on each side. However, the Work Sharp port only tilts to a minimum of 20 degrees.

Has anyone come up with a "slick" method of doing 15-degree bevels, other than simply doing it freehand (not very repeatable or reliable on an oval skew...)

Dennis Peacock
11-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Robert,

Why not put a 40º angle on that skew and give that a try. I have one that I like pretty well that is around the 40º angle range. What I've found is that a few degrees difference on a tool can make it a world better...or make it more difficult to use. Give it a try and see what you think with a 40º on it. You could like it even better. ;)

I recently acquired a Work Sharp 3000, pushed over the edge by a 20% discount via AMZ and a drawer with an increasing number of dulling tools...

Anyway, I noticed this thread didn't have many responses with regards to users of the Work Sharp, so I'm hoping to revive / hijack it. ;)

I'm trying to sharpen an oval skew chisel I use for pen turning. The ideal combined angle for the chisel is 30 degrees, which means a 15 degree bevel on each side. However, the Work Sharp port only tilts to a minimum of 20 degrees.

Has anyone come up with a "slick" method of doing 15-degree bevels, other than simply doing it freehand (not very repeatable or reliable on an oval skew...)