PDA

View Full Version : How much does your internet service cost?

Dick Adair
11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I just received notice my DSL service is increasing next month. Two years ago I was paying $38.95 a month for 1.5/256 service. Then last year I got a 1 year promotion for $24.95 a month. Yesterday a new rate came for another years promotion at $27.95 per month or I can increase the speed to 5.0/512 at $29.95 per month. A $100.00 cancellation fee is in effect if you opt out early. I'm curious how this compares to other areas. I am in the central PA area.

Bryan Rocker
11-16-2007, 6:52 PM
Thats a pretty good price for your service, if you are actually being able to utilize that much bandwidth. Frequently they offer packages at low prices but never give you the speed you paid for. Do you obtain sustained downloads in the 5mb range? I have 5mb cable and I routinely hit 600K to 700K/sec download speeds sustained. I say sustained because an old gimic ISP's used to play was giving a 10 or 15 sec burst speed before throttling you back.

Go here and do a speedtest.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Bryan

Mike Henderson
11-16-2007, 7:22 PM
I pay about $42/mo for cable access (with Cox) and get 6Mbps down and 512Kbps upstream (according to speed test).

I think that's a high price but I also get 7 e-mail addresses and web space.

Mike

Charles Wiggins
11-16-2007, 8:44 PM
I have AT&T (formerly BellSouth) DSL Ultra (1.5 Mbps/256 Kbps) for $32.95/mo.

Tom Veatch
11-16-2007, 8:57 PM
Wireless with Pixius - like satellite except from a groundbased antenna.
768k down 384k up:)
$46.95/mo. :mad:
Only other option in my area is dial-up:( :( :(

Matt Meiser
11-16-2007, 9:35 PM
Ha! I win (lose?) Mine is $59.99 for 768/384 wireless from Sprint. Same price as the old satellite system, but better performance. Luckily work now pays the bill.

Steve Clardy
11-16-2007, 9:41 PM
Dialup. All I can get :(

Mike Cutler
11-16-2007, 9:49 PM
$51.12 per month. I have cable internet. DSL isn't available for me.
In order to get cable internet, I have to purchase the monthly "basic cable package" even though I don't own a TV. So.... It's $51.12/month for me to log onto the net.

mark page
11-16-2007, 9:58 PM
Time Warner Roadrunner, rated at 10MBPS download & 1MBPS upload, but closer to 8MBPS consistently. I have internet, basic 70 some tv channels (no premium channels), and unlimited calling home phone system tied through them. Average bill for all $136.00 monthly.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
cable....$59.95

glenn bradley
11-16-2007, 10:04 PM
When they try to raise the price I always tell them to disconnect it. Suddenly there's a special promo for 90 days for what I am currently paying. If I balk at that, they give it to me for 12 months. I don't watch TV and my phone is just an outbound for the alarm so if they can't sell me internet, they get none of my money.

Currently $19.95 for 384k out and 1.5meg in. I don't need much speed as I geek all day and only need minor surfing power when I get home. I'm a network engineer by profession so I have the tools to monitor throughput and all that network-geek stuff. It really annoys them when I tell them all kinds of 'secret' stuff about their network when I call in (which I do if the throughput drops below a given threshold for a given period of time and alerts me).

Oh yeah, I'm too far from both main central offices that serve my area to get DSL so I can only get Time Warner cable (or satellite but that's too expensive for very poor service).

glenn bradley
11-16-2007, 10:06 PM
In order to get cable internet, I have to purchase the monthly "basic cable package" even though I don't own a TV. So.... It's $51.12/month for me to log onto the net.

Where I live providers are required to offer any of their services unbundled. They cannot make you take TV.

glenn bradley
11-16-2007, 10:09 PM

Thats a pretty good price for your service, if you are actually being able to utilize that much bandwidth. Frequently they offer packages at low prices but never give you the speed you paid for. Do you obtain sustained downloads in the 5mb range? I have 5mb cable and I routinely hit 600K to 700K/sec download speeds sustained. I say sustained because an old gimic ISP's used to play was giving a 10 or 15 sec burst speed before throttling you back.

Go here and do a speedtest.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Bryan

Just ran the speed test for grins: 363k up and 1400 and change down which is within my monitoring thresholds.

Dave Lehnert
11-16-2007, 10:11 PM
I have no idea what my speed is but it's as fast as I can imagine $$24.95 a month for high-speed DSL with wireless. Dial up $9.99 month.

One word. Don't ever think if your service lowers the price they will automatically give it to you. I had dial-up for years at $19.99 month. I found out by accident that the new rate was $9.99. I asked how long that rate was in effect. They said for years. Bottom line check often for the current rate and call and request it.

Dave Lehnert
11-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Holy Cow!

Competition is a good thing. Here in Cincinnati we have Time Warner and Cincinnati Bell to pick from. Warner and Cincinnati Bell high speed can be had for $20 a month.
Guess Warner is charging the rest of the world higher prices to give Cincinnati a break.

Dave Lehnert
11-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Just done a speed test. 5046 KBPS down, 432 KBPS UP

How does my speed compare?

Frank Hagan
11-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Broadbandreports.com provides some tests and info on tweaking settings to try and eke out the max speed. I have TimeWarner Cable, and since they took over from Adelphia Cable, my speed has gone down to about 700kps down and 490kps up. I'm very unhappy with the degradation in the speed, which I attribute to the growth of cable internet here (DSL isn't available, and Verizon FIOS service isn't rolled out everywhere.

I pay $44.95 a month.

Cary Falk
11-16-2007, 11:58 PM
I pay about $42/month for Cable through Comcast

Denny Rice
11-17-2007, 12:32 AM
Verizion (2 yr contract) 24.95 month and if I re-sign 30 days before my contract expires it stays the same price forever.....(or so they say):rolleyes:

Mike Henderson
11-17-2007, 1:02 AM
Verizion (2 yr contract) 24.95 month and if I re-sign 30 days before my contract expires it stays the same price forever.....(or so they say):rolleyes:
I think their rational is that bandwidth will be like computer memory - it'll get cheaper over time. So I guess they aren't taking that much of a risk by promising not to increase the price.

Mike

Karl Laustrup
11-17-2007, 5:39 AM
Charter cable here. I just did a speed test and got 4821 down and 484 up. I think mine is in the $40-50 per month. It's part of my TV bundle so I'm not sure exactly. Charter now is offering a 10 MB download, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra money.

Karl

Mike Null
11-17-2007, 6:51 AM
We've got Charter here and in my part of town they have a monopoly and they and the city really gouge us. My bundle is more than $170 per month. I would go to dsl but none is available.

Mike Cutler
11-17-2007, 7:35 AM
Where I live providers are required to offer any of their services unbundled. They cannot make you take TV.

Hmm....... Thank you for that info. I'll have to look into that.
When we first switched to cable internet I had to borrow a tv to test the signal. The service rep was adamant that I would need a TV to verify the signal.
I asked why didn't they have some form of a "GO-NO GO" signal testing box, Rep said they didn't. I had to have a TV.
Installer shows up, and guess what? He had a frequency tester with a green and red LED to verify signal strength. 'GO-NO GO".

I'll look into the bundled packages. It's only $11.00 of the bill but it's always irked me to pay for something I will never use(TV).

Jim Becker
11-17-2007, 6:07 PM
Dick, that's an EXCELLENT price for a 5mb down DSL tier. My 3mb down service (768 up) from VZ currently runs me the same $29.95 (annual contract) plus taxes here in SE PA. I'll gladly pay more when FiOS eventually gets available here for 15/2 or 15/15 is they make it availaible...assuming the township every stops making unreasonable demands from VZ.

Charles Wiggins
11-17-2007, 6:34 PM
I have AT&T (formerly BellSouth) DSL Ultra (1.5 Mbps/256 Kbps) for $32.95/mo.

My Speed Test showed 1.264 Mbps/206 Kbps - not too bad - esp. since I've only got 256MB RAM anyway!

Chuck Wintle
11-17-2007, 7:56 PM
I pay $29.95/month for a 5 Mbps service. Never had any real problems except I was unable to connect a few times as they were working on the network. :D

Kurt Strandberg
11-17-2007, 9:33 PM
Dialup. All I can get :(

Me too.

$9.95 a month

Bill Cunningham
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I have the highspeed 'wireless' thingy here, the speed sucks (1.5meg down and about 275k up.. On a good day)
but it was either this, or dial up.. At least with this I can network the house computer through the shop wireless modem.. Another good site for checking your speed between you, and anywhere else on the planet is
http://www.speedtest.net
It will also keep a running record of your performance when you want ot complain to you ISP about slow service
We now have high speed on phone lines here and My contract with this thing will run out in april.. I'll shift to the hardwire then.. My Signmaker neighbor gets 5meg regularly on the wire..

Curt Fuller
11-18-2007, 8:55 AM
I think mine is $29.95 a month from Qwest for DSL. But it should be free, paid for by all the online vendors that I buy from that I had never even heard of before this WWW thing came along. That's the real expense, buying all the cool stuff available online.

Dick Adair
11-18-2007, 9:28 AM
Our ISP is D&E telephone and they also threw in a $50.00 Sheetz gas card. It was a no-brainer for me. BTW I tested my current 1.5/256 speed and it is 1206/206. I'm not sure how that compares.

Terre Hooks
11-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Mine costs about $6 per month.

David G Baker
11-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I have Charter Cable Internet, TV with premium channels and Internet phone. I am not sure what the Internet portion costs but my monthly bill is $129 for the total package. My speed is 2790 KB/S down and 418 KB/S up.

Larry James
11-19-2007, 1:17 PM
I have Charter Cable Internet, TV with premium channels and Internet phone. I am not sure what the Internet portion costs but my monthly bill is $129 for the total package. My speed is 2790 KB/S down and 418 KB/S up.

I also have Charter and likely the same package you have, less the phone service. Internet speed is about the same. The monthly bill does not itemize cost, but calls it "Biggest Value Package" @ $115.29 a month.

Larry

David G Baker
11-19-2007, 1:32 PM
Larry,
The Internet phone saves me approximately $30 a month over what I paid for unlimited local and long distance with my previous hard-line carrier. One big problem with Internet phone, if you do not get the battery back up modem you will be with out a phone during a power outage. The sales rep that I talked to prior to committing to the the switch presented the deal that I went with as if it would have a built in battery back up. I didn't find out that I was misinformed until my first power outage. I didn't pay the $75 that Charter wanted for the "upgrade" but I did install a wall plug that will be powered by my emergency generator in the event of a power outage.

Larry James
11-19-2007, 4:03 PM
Larry,
The Internet phone saves me approximately $30 a month over what I paid for unlimited local and long distance with my previous hard-line carrier. One big problem with Internet phone, if you do not get the battery back up modem you will be with out a phone during a power outage. The sales rep that I talked to prior to committing to the the switch presented the deal that I went with as if it would have a built in battery back up. I didn't find out that I was misinformed until my first power outage. I didn't pay the $75 that Charter wanted for the "upgrade" but I did install a wall plug that will be powered by my emergency generator in the event of a power outage.

David,
Charter has been pushing their phone service by mail, phone and email to the point of being annoying. Not surprised they sold you more than they delivered. I stopped in at their local office to pick up a 2nd cable box and they tried to sell me phone service and every other service available. After saying all I want is the box several times, I finally had to raise my voice and insist all I wanted was the box.:mad: I wonder if their sales people work on a commission?

Bob Rufener
11-19-2007, 8:37 PM
Wireless connection. I have a dish receiver on the roof aimed at a communications tower about 2 miles away. I'm not sure of the speed but it is fast enough for me. Cost is $24.95 a month. I was paying about $12 per month for dial up and an additional $10 for an extra phone line so this was a no brainer.

Al Willits
11-19-2007, 9:06 PM
About $45 a month.

Try taking those speed tests over a week at different times and average them out, if this one is like any of the others, it'll show different speeds at different times.

Al

Don Hein
11-21-2007, 2:02 PM
Michigan State University offers a speed test, and MSU doesn't collect your home address, phone number, etc.

http://network.msu.edu/public/speedtest.html

Another, more entertaining, site is: www.speedtest.net/ (http://www.speedtest.net/)

which also does not request additional information.