PDA

View Full Version : Giant Peppermill at Costco

Jerry Allen
11-16-2007, 11:02 AM
I went to Costco yesterday and picked up a giant peppermill for $22.
Kind of disheartening after spending almost that much on wood and parts for the ones I made myself, which of course does not include my labor.
It's pretty nice for the price. Made of what looks to be hevea or rubber wood. It's 21" tall by ~3.25" max. Item # 207413.
(I'd post a picture but the upload server is down. Will post later.)

Jerry Allen
11-16-2007, 5:34 PM
Photo of giant mill.
Did I mention it also comes with 2.5 oz. of pepper?
Hard act to follow for $22. Guess where it's made.

Sam Starr
11-16-2007, 5:47 PM
Wouldnt happen to have lead in it?:p

Jerry Allen
11-16-2007, 6:08 PM
I guess it's possible.

Bob Hallowell
11-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Jerry,
You can probaly buy a wooden bowl made in China too for $22 but it was not handcrafted by you so like the mill it is not as nice or as valueable as the one you can make.

Bob

Jerry Allen
11-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree, Bob. I just couldn't resist at that price it and will give it to someone I do not hold in the same esteem as the ones that I made grinders for.
Too big to be practical too. Wish I had the raw blank instead.

Greg Savage
11-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Photo of giant mill.
Did I mention it also comes with 2.5 oz. of pepper?
Hard act to follow for $22. Guess where it's made.

Hmmmmm.....China?

I make a lot of mills. My customers would rather spend $100+ on a mill of exotic wood with a quality mechanism than buy a cheapie that is going to fail in a few years. Then there are the people who will just buy the cheapest thing that they can find. These are the folks who will never appreciate quality and craftsmanship.

Curt Fuller
11-17-2007, 9:00 PM
Sadly, of that 22 bucks, a chunk went to profits for Costco, a little to the shipping and trucking company that got it over here from China, the Chinese goverment took their cut, and some poor underpaid Chinese kid probably turned out several dozen of them during a 12 hour shift in a poorly lit, cold, no dust protection, sweat shop with a mean supervisor cracking the whip, and all for a few bucks for the entire 12 hour shift. So when you're doing a show and somebody picks up a peppermill and says, 'I can get one of these at Costco for 22 bucks', it kind of makes you want to kick them in the shins.