PDA

View Full Version : Morticing chisel question

harry strasil
11-16-2007, 10:06 AM
I have found that using beeswax or a candle to lubricate my mortice chisels, especially my foot morticer and scissors morticer chisels makes them cut much easier and have a tendency to not stick in the mortice as much.

Does anyone else use this technique?

I also use beeswax or a candle stub to lubricate my saws also, I like my saws to cut a very narrow kerf as its easier to follow a line and they seem to cut faster.

Brian Kent
11-16-2007, 5:10 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I was really surprised what a difference the wax made on wood and metal planes.

I do have a question, though. What are "foot morticer and scissors morticer"? I have never wanted to mortice my foot or a pair of scissors before!

Greg Cole
11-16-2007, 5:41 PM
Foot mortiser is exactly what it implies....
Harry has a nifty one that works well per an older post of his IIRC.

He'll tell you about it or post the linky...

Greg

Marc Casebolt
11-16-2007, 6:23 PM
Harry,

I have not tried waxing a mortice chisel, but I have a question for you.
Wouldn't that leave wax in the mortice? It seems to me that it could cause a problem with the glue joint.

Marc

harry strasil
11-16-2007, 7:05 PM
Marc, I have never had a problem with any glue joints although I do like to use pegged joints a lot. The wax is used on the chisels in the intitial stages of chopping the joint, never on the paring to the line finish parts.

Brian, the tailed toolers use a designated morticer with a drill bit inside to make mortices, A Scissors morticer was the forerunner of the Foot Morticer, which is the forerunner of the designated mortisers of today.

Don C Peterson
11-16-2007, 7:59 PM
I use it on my plane soles and saws, never thought of using it on my mortise chisels though...

Mac Cambra
11-16-2007, 9:41 PM
Wouldn't wax prevent a good glue joint?