PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Oval Boxes

Steve Roxberg
02-12-2004, 10:44 PM
I made my mother and three sisters each a set of five shaker boxes for Christmas. Two sets were made from maple with pine tops and bottoms and then milk painted.

The other two sets were made with Cherry side bands, and one had Cherry tops and bottoms and the other had Quarter Sawn Sycamore for the top.

The top shots show the size differences and the Quarter Sawn Sycamore.

These are really easy to make and require only a band saw, and a stationary belt or disk sander. A drill press is also handy.

If anyone would like help with boxes let me know, I've already made about every mistake possible.

Tyler Howell
02-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Very Nice Steve!;)

Howard Rosenberg
02-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Looks like you really went out of youyr way to make some really nice gifts for your mom and sisters. Howard

Lars Thomas
02-12-2004, 11:36 PM
I love the look of those boxes. A few years ago I bought the little copper nails (tacks), but I've never gotten round toit. Someday . . .

Bob Lasley
02-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Nice job Steve. I'll bet the ladies were very pleased.

Bob

Todd Burch
02-12-2004, 11:48 PM
"These are really easy to make and require only a band saw, and a stationary belt or disk sander. A drill press is also handy."

Steve, I've made dozens of these, and the biggest hassle for me when making them is the thicknessing of the wood prior to even starting the boiling process. How is it that your list of required "tools" doesn't include a thickness planer or a long boiling pan with portable fire capabilities? Maybe I'm making them the "longggggg" way??? I learned my method from the John Wilson video. Do tell!!

Steve Roxberg
02-13-2004, 8:27 AM
"These are really easy to make and require only a band saw, and a stationary belt or disk sander. A drill press is also handy."

Steve, I've made dozens of these, and the biggest hassle for me when making them is the thicknessing of the wood prior to even starting the boiling process. How is it that your list of required "tools" doesn't include a thickness planer or a long boiling pan with portable fire capabilities? Maybe I'm making them the "longggggg" way??? I learned my method from the John Wilson video. Do tell!!

Good points Todd, I bought the bands directly from John Wilson. $18 dollars for a set of five top and five bottom bands, in Cherry, cut the the correct thickness, width, and length, and from air dried quarter sawn cherry. That decision was easy, I don't believe I could have done it that much cheaper. I value my shop time.

For a boiling pot, I use a metal planter, it's about 6 " deep, 6" wide and maybe 32" long. Walmart sells them for about $12. The ends are folded like a christmas present so there are no leaks.

Heat source? Hmm, wait until the wife leaves the house and use the gas Jennair she had to have for the kitchen. Just be quick.

Jason Tuinstra
02-13-2004, 9:43 AM
Steve, great boxes. I've made a number of these as well. Like you, I got my parts from John Wilson. They make nice and relatively inexpensive gifts. Way to go! They look great.

Jim Becker
02-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Those are beautiful, Steve. Great gifts, too. Thanks for sharing them!

I have a friend in the Denver area who makes these and I always appreciate seeing them. They are very elegant, despite their simplicity in design.

Martin Shupe
02-13-2004, 11:49 AM
I need to find time in my schedule to take one of John Wilson's classes. Last year he taught at Marc Adams, but I had a conflict. This year he is not teaching there. :(

Maybe I can make my way up to his workshop.

Steve Roxberg
02-13-2004, 1:37 PM
I need to find time in my schedule to take one of John Wilson's classes. Last year he taught at Marc Adams, but I had a conflict. This year he is not teaching there. :(

Maybe I can make my way up to his workshop.

Lessons would be overkill in my opinion. They are so easy it's funny.

Donnie Raines
02-13-2004, 1:50 PM
really nice projects! I have not attempted any of these yet. Looking forward to the day I can make some, and I hope they turn out half as nice as yours.

DonnieR