PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 8" jointer for $595 WOW!!!

Dave Lehnert
11-15-2007, 9:22 PM
Model G0586. I paid almost that for my 6" 7 years ago
Why has jointers gone down in price so much?

Bruce Wrenn
11-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Model G0586. I paid almost that for my 6" 7 years ago
Why has jointers gone down in price so much?CHINA.....

Tim Marks
11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
CHINA.....
umm, gotta say that the 6" that he bought 7 years ago was also built in China (6" built in USA 7 years ago would be a heck of a lot more then $600).

I would say that the answer is COMPETITION (or maybe GRIZZLY). All of the woodworking companies have started importing from China/Tawain in the last 7-10 years and lowered their prices to match Grizzly, so Grizzly has lowered their prices to stay ahead of the competition.

I think the more amazing thing is not the prices going down, but that the quality of the machinery at the price point is going up rapidly. With the devaluing of the USD over the past 10 years (you cant belive the fed's inflation numbers when the price of real estate has gone up 200% in 10 years, and milk and other staples have almost doubled in the last 10 years). Yet woodowking machinery prices continue to drop, and the machinery you buy is getting better and better (at least compared to the low priced stuff we bought 10 years ago, not talking about the high priced US made stuff you bought 10 years ago).